• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove burned rubber/stains from chrome Motorcycle exhaust pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove burned rubber/stains from chrome Motorcycle exhaust pipes

I made the mistake when I first got my Roadstar and my wife accidentally touched her boots on the hot exhaust, leaving bad burned rubber stains, of trying everything except what ended up working until it was too late. In the process I scratched (lightly, but noticeable) the chrome trying a variety of cleaners, abrasives, foil (don't remember where I read that one!) and fine steel wool. After my brain kicked in and I tried lacquer thinner (when pipes were cool, of course) that it takes it right off. I had already purchased and installed aftermarket pipes and now my stock pipes are stain-free, but lightly scratched. Live and learn. Runs much better with after market pipes anyway and it's LOUD too! (sorry for the lengthy description)

Summary, lacquer thinner removes burned rubber/stains on chrome exhaust.

Re: How to remove burned rubber/stains from chrome Motorcycle exhaust pipes

Originally posted by 10degreesbtdc View Post
    Summary, lacquer thinner removes burned rubber/stains on chrome exhaust.
    As does Goo Gone, Easy Off Oven Cleaner and Brillo/SOS.

Comment

Originally posted by TLMitchell View Post
      As does Goo Gone, Easy Off Oven Cleaner and Brillo/SOS.
      Brillo is one of the things that scratched mine before using lacquer thinner. Didn't have the others at the time, but they are good for many uses I've learned.

Comment

Originally posted by 10degreesbtdc View Post
        Brillo is one of the things that scratched mine before using lacquer thinner. Didn't have the others at the time, but they are good for many uses I've learned.
        I've seen other similar reports however I've never had scratches cleaning crud off chrome using Brillo or SOS..... or 0000 steel wool for that matter. Perhaps technique has something to do with it... I wet and foam up the pads thoroughly before applying them. The soap acts as a lubricant in additons to cleaning. It tends to leave a film so a follow-up with a chrome cleaner or wax is necessary. Your mileage may vary......

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');