• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove wax residue from black plastic parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove wax residue from black plastic parts?

Hey guys, just bought a car and it looks like the previous owner waxed the car. The only problem is that it looks like he was careless and got some wax on the black parts of the car that shouldn't be waxed and some are black plastic.

How to I remove this? I don't just want to make the black plastic shine, but I want to clean it. I can post pictures if necessary.

Any advise?

Re: How to remove wax residue from black plastic parts?

Some People Use Peanut Butter, But I Did Not Get Lasting Results.
    I Used Mother Back to Black and a Terry Towel, Which Worked.
    Or Use a Brush with Short Bristles to Scrub it Out.
    Or Try Using Isopropyl Alcohol and Rubbing.
    Or a Block Pencil Eraser.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

i like using APC for this, sometimes if its not that much i just squirt a little last touch and wipe with a microfiber
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Subscribing. I've wondered this myself for quite some time now.
        Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

To clean plastic, trim, rubber, you can use #39. Then you could follow with #40 or Trim Detailer, to make it look really black/shiny again, but you don't want that you said.

Thing is if you clean it with like #39, it probably won't look very uniform after, which is why I'd want to put something on top of it.

Comment

#39 would be a great choice, as would APC or APC+. Start with a scrub brush or a tooth brush, and then finish with a terry or microfiber towel.

M40 would also be a mild cleaner that also leaves fantastic protection. I use M40 very regularly for a matte finish on black plastics.

Comment

+1 with everyone. Googone
              Learning new things everyday

Comment

Originally posted by TimG View Post
                +1 with everyone. Googone
                Have you ever noticed Goo Gone drying out plastics? I haven't tried, but it seems like it might be possible. Maybe?

Comment

Yes. I believe its some kinda off degreaser therefore I always follow it up with a protectant (ie: M40, HD, ASD, GC Trim Detailer, etc)

I think the easiest way to start cleaning is to use your current car wash solution and with a soft brush, clean the plastics that is affected with the wax residue.

If that does not work, then slowly move up to another type of cleaner (ie: all purpose cleaners, dedicated plastic cleaners - say M39, GooGone, Industrial grease&wax remover - being the last resort)

Again this depends on the type of plastics you trying to tackle.

Cheers,

Tim
                  Learning new things everyday

Comment

For tight areas I use pink erasers. I trim them with a razor blade to the shape best suited to getting at the crevices. I also like the eraser pencil for around the emblems. For broad expanses of plastic, #39 does a good job.

FWIW, I now use UQW for waxing around these areas as it doesn't dry white and works well on plastic, even textured plastic.
                    Jim
                    My Gallery

Comment

When I bought my car, the dealership had left wax on the edges of the black plastic mirrors and cowl cover. I used Gold Class trim detailer and a soft toothbrush, took ti right off, then I did the whole plastic piece and it also restored it to deep black instead of brownish black.

Comment

Originally posted by TimG View Post
                        Yes. I believe its some kinda off degreaser therefore I always follow it up with a protectant (ie: M40, HD, ASD, GC Trim Detailer, etc)

I think the easiest way to start cleaning is to use your current car wash solution and with a soft brush, clean the plastics that is affected with the wax residue.

If that does not work, then slowly move up to another type of cleaner (ie: all purpose cleaners, dedicated plastic cleaners - say M39, GooGone, Industrial grease&wax remover - being the last resort)

Again this depends on the type of plastics you trying to tackle.

Cheers,

Tim
                        Good info, thanks Tim!

Comment

Good tips guys! Where do I get this APC or #39 at? Or what are there actual names? I'm not a detail guru, so I don't know those products.

BTW this is for a Corvette, and the piece is the back plastic piece that's around the exhaust. It's got some texture to it, so I'll be a little tough.

Comment

I have used M40, Microfiber cloth and elbow grease and never had a problem.
                            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by EkS View Post
                              Good tips guys! Where do I get this APC or #39 at? Or what are there actual names? I'm not a detail guru, so I don't know those products.

BTW this is for a Corvette, and the piece is the back plastic piece that's around the exhaust. It's got some texture to it, so I'll be a little tough.
                              auto detailing solutions certainly have these products.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');