• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FRUSTRATED - How Do I Keep Birds Off My Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRUSTRATED - How Do I Keep Birds Off My Car?

And I don't mean bird bombs, I mean the actual birds themselves!

I believe I do all the right things to keep my black paint looking its best all the time. The car gets detailed every week, clayed, polished, waxed regularly etc etc. The car is always garaged at home and always parked in an undercover security carpark near my work. This is where the problem is.

I pay good money (and walk for 10 minutes every day to/from work) for the privilege of parking under cover. The carpark however has open sides, allowing birds to be able to fly in. For some reason lately, this one bird has taken a liking to my car and is landing on it, walking on it, pooping on it and scratching the clear coat with its claws. When I get back to my car every evening, I find it messed up and to make it worse, the bird sitting there on the ledge making noise as if it was laughing at me!!

Have any of you guys had this problem or can you offer any suggestions which would keep this bird off my car? I have heard that some birds like to see their own reflection, which may explain why it's attracted to my car?

I am open to any suggestions, even ones which may involve "harming" the bird a little
    Thanks in advance.

PS: I've thought of a car cover but don't like using one on a dusty car i.e. unless the car and car cover are completely clean. I've also tried placing rat poison on the ledge where the birds land but this hasn't worked to date...
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Re: FRUSTRATED - How Do I Keep Birds Off My Car?

Short of mounting a large plastic owl on your roof (which would certainly take away from the aesthetic value) I really don't know how to deter a bird that has taken a liking to your car. I have never encountered this problem, but there must be something about your car that is attracting the bird. Can you park in a different location of the garage? Do you have any decals, graphics, or other add-ons to your vehicle?

Maybe you could try some sort of ultrasonic transmitter commonly used to repel pests such as insects and rodents. It would have to be a battery operated model unless you have the skills to hardwire it into your car's electrical system. Maybe something that emits an ultrasonic pulse intermittently?

Comment

Hey mate.. my doc has silver ballon kinda things that he floates from his garage...looks ugly as...but keeps all four of his CAR clear of birds them selves...I am talking about how you get water in those large boxs..and the silver rapping they come in...I AM NOT MAD!

Comment

Had that happen last summer, at least not on my Mustang thank God. The two trucks have the side mirrors that stick out and this same male bird kept attacking it's reflection on the window from the mirror, pooped, and got that on the windows as he sat there for hours doing this....on both trucks. The sides of both trucks would be covered in like 50 poop-bombs every day. I bought a BB gun and kept shooting at him when he was on the fence getting ready to do it (don't know if I ever actually hit him, but I know I was close as he'd start squawking and flew away for a minute or two (no scope from a decent distance with a pump gun)). Dumb thing finally took the hint, never did it again after a couple of weeks of training. Can't wait to see what happens this summer.

I know you don't really have that option, but I'd say you're best bet is to get some kind of deterrent like mentioned above (shiny stuff) and just leave it on your roof while you're gone. Blow 'em up with some rice?

Comment

I like the rice idea or even Panadol..but crulity to animal...hmmm

Comment

Rice comes to mind. I know its cruel. Maybe strategically place some shiny balloons. You could store them in your trunk. Until you get to your garage. Then attach them to each corner. That might deter the bird. Just guessing here.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
              Can you park in a different location of the garage? Do you have any decals, graphics, or other add-ons to your vehicle?
              I have none of the above. Just black (very shiny) metallic paint.

Maybe you could try some sort of ultrasonic transmitter commonly used to repel pests such as insects and rodents. It would have to be a battery operated model unless you have the skills to hardwire it into your car's electrical system. Maybe something that emits an ultrasonic pulse intermittently?
              This is an excellent idea. I didn't even know such a beast existed, but I did a google search and found this:

I've emailed them for a quote. Thanks for the suggestion, we'll see how much it costs.
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by JTOWN View Post
                Hey mate.. my doc has silver ballon kinda things that he floates from his garage...looks ugly as...but keeps all four of his CAR clear of birds them selves...I am talking about how you get water in those large boxs..and the silver rapping they come in...I AM NOT MAD!
                You mean like the inside of a wine cask?

Good idea, worth a shot but I don't know how the owner of the car park would take it! (Then again, they probably wouldn't like me placing rat poison on the ledge either, but they haven't seen that yet! ) Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                  Blow 'em up with some rice?

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                  Rice comes to mind.

I'm intrigued now. What's rice supposed to do?

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                    I'm intrigued now. What's rice supposed to do?
                    Well...
                    Bird eats dry rice
                    Bird gets thirsty
                    Bird drinks water
                    Water causes reaction in dried rice
                    Dried rice expands
                    Bird no longer a problem...

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                      This is an excellent idea. I didn't even know such a beast existed, but I did a google search and found this:

I've emailed them for a quote. Thanks for the suggestion, we'll see how much it costs.
                      Let us know! Also ask if it has it's own battery supply with a recharging cord.

Comment

Yeah the wine cakets would work, filled with a bit of water..or other liquid/gas...

Comment

Why don't you just leave it dirty? It's a proven fact that birds stay away from dirty cars, it's just the clean ones they attack. Just kidding! Hope you find a solution to your bird problem.
                          Shane
                          1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Well...
                            Bird eats dry rice
                            Bird gets thirsty
                            Bird drinks water
                            Dried rice expands
                            LMAO! That was hilarious reading that explanation! (Maybe it was just me?)

Why you are now supposed to throw pre-cooked rice at weddings...

Comment

Well...
                              Bird eats dry rice
                              Bird gets thirsty
                              Bird drinks water
                              Dried rice expands
                              Wow, that's brilliant!

This will be the first solution I try, because it will cost next to nothing.

Either way, I'm determined to win this war. Last weekend I had a three hour session with ScratchX and my DA removing (with success) the scratches the bird's claws left in my paint!

Thanks for that, I hope the rice idea works!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');