• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do between full paint detail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do between full paint detail?

For my daily driver I try to do a, what I call, a full detail twice a year which includes cleaning off the wax, clay, polish (Deep Crystal Polish), and then wax (NXT 2.0). I apply Scratch X in there if needed. My question is what I should do between these applications. I understand that I should wash the car but what about applying another layer of wax in a month or two after the full detail? If so what can be done to remove the stubborn areas without having to start from scratch and reclay, polish and wax. I don’t have the time to do the full detail every month but would like to maintain the protection. Can I just wash and apply another layer of NXT? Car is garaged most of the time, home and in a parking garage at work.
    Thanks

Re: What to do between full paint detail?

I would highly suggest getting some new for 2009 Ultimate Quik Wax. I would apply this after each wash. It literally takes 5-10 minutes TOPS. It goes right on and over trim, paint, and many use it on glass too (myself included).

This will help to keep the surface slick and protected. I would still try and do a coat of regular NXT 2.0 every 2 months or so.

As for claying, you can always test by putting your hand inside a plastic zip-loc baggy and running it over the surface. If you feel bumps, then you have something that needs clay to be removed. The white consumer grade clay is great for gently getting freshly bonded contaminants like this off without marring or scratching.

Otherwise, the best thing you can do is regular washing to keep things from fully bonding to the paint, and using the UQW will help to keep the surface protected between traditional waxing.

Comment

You may find this article helpful: Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen.

Also check out: In Praise of Cleaner Wax and The Value of Cleaner Wax. You might, e.g., apply your NXT once a month and then apply Cleaner Wax on the third month (midway between your full detailing sessions). I think the important thing is to wash your car regularly, as you no doubt do, and to wax your car periodically. During the non-winter months you might want to wax once a month, for example (monthly waxing seems to be the norm for MOL users). The winter months, of course, are a different story.
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

Quik, Quik, Quik is what I do!

Wash the Car, Then use either Ultimate Quik Wax or Ultimate Quik Detailer.

I use Quik Wheel Detailer on the wheels and Quik Interior Detailer on the Interior

I wax once a Month, but do what you consider a full detail about once a month too
        Matt

Comment

I like to maintain with all the "Quik Products" as well
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I think you'll be fine with your waxing once a month. I personally only do a "full" detail only once a year with a waxing about every month or 6 weeks or so. Just make sure to check every now and then for rough spots that might need clay as Mark stated.

If the car is garaged at home and work, I can't imagine that much if anything will really collect and settle on the car, especially if you keep everything else maintained.
            "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

I apply a cleaner wax every once in a while and follow with NXT or Gold Class 12 hours later. I find this routine maintains perfect clarity until the next major detail.

Between waxing, I use UQD or Last Touch to keep things gleaming.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');