• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated

Everytime I go dry the car after washing it, I notice all these scratches and nicks (to the primer) that I didn't notice before. Today, I found at least 4 more nicks. I spray down the car before washing using the 2 bucket wash method with a genuine lambswool mitt and blot drying with the Absorber.

I also noticed some hologram-like stuff on the side panels today even though I've never used a buffer or anything more abrasive than ScratchX. I'm thinking they're from the garbage Simoniz cotton wax applicator pads, which are the only wax applicators sold here. They get soggy fast and and can't even tolerate a drop of water or else they'll make the wax spread on watery.

Finally, I wax carefully to avoid staining trim, but over a short period of time, after some periods of rain, some wax will run off and stain all the trim. And no, don't want to shell out $14 every few months for a bottle of plastic/vinyl restorer/cleaner/protectant

Re: Frustrated

I do Not Know Why the Wax would run Like That.
    I have Never Had that Problem.
    Try Using the Grit Guard.
    How to Wash a Car Show Car Style
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

Hmm. That seems weird about the applicators. The wax shouldn't do that?

Make sure to use 2 Buckets, 2 Grit Guards, and a lambswool or MF mitt.

When Washing the Car, Wash one small section at a time (Top To Bottom)

Here is what I do:

Start washing the car's Hood, Trunk Lid, and Roof.
      Then I slowly work top to bottom.

After a small panel or section I rinse my mitt, ring it out, and then examine it for any contaminants that are trapped into it.
      Then start again...

Look on eBay for International shipping on quality applicators since you live in CA.
      Matt

Comment

I forgot.
        Make Sure You Have the Proper Dilution.
        But the Video Should Help You With Your Problems.
        I Watch it About once or Twice a Month!!
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        '99 F-150

Comment

I have watched that video before... and I do work from top to bottom, using just enough pressure to glide the mitt across. Wipe across small section, use other side of mitt on another section, rinse mitt in fresh water bucket, check for contaminants before putting back into soap bucket..

Also, when I was trying to polish out swirls with ScratchX, the product hazed and dried very quickly even though it wasn't even warm outside. I didn't leave it to dry. Never had this problem before. I had to scrub hard with the towel just to remove some of it, then decided to use deep crystal paint cleaner to remove the rest. Is deep crystal paint cleaner supposed to leave white powdery stuff after buffing?

Comment

I am Not Exactly Familiar With DC, but I do not think that is supposed to happen.
            Maybe you are over working the products.
            Joel
            Firefighter/EMT-B
            '99 F-150

Comment

Pictures by any chance of the trim?

Comment

I have gotten that white powdery stuff the key there is to use less product.

Comment

Pictures would help tremendously.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

If you can't find foam applicators anywhere else, then check out eShine in Canada: 3 for $7.20.

I don't understand how wax could be running onto your trim after a rain. What kind of wax are you using?
                    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                      If you can't find foam applicators anywhere else, then check out eShine in Canada: 3 for $7.20.

I don't understand how wax could be running onto your trim after a rain. What kind of wax are you using?
                      Shipping would make it close to $20 for 3 pads

I alternate between turtle wax platinum and meguiar's a12 cleaner wax

Comment

REALLY NEED TO SEE in order to help

Is the paint dirty?
                        Have you clayed it?
                        Sounds dirty to me.
                        I think the nicks are from the road, and thin paint.

Comment

Originally posted by i pamper my corolla View Post
                          I alternate between turtle wax platinum and meguiar's a12 cleaner wax
                          Have you been able to correlate the runny wax problem with either product?

I cannot imagine either product re-liquifying after a rain and running onto your trim. Once the solvents and oils have evaporated after application and the wax residue has been buffed off, the protective coat ain't going to re-liquify just because some water lands on the paint surface--at least, I have never heard of this happening. (Has anyone heard of this happening before?) If Cleaner Wax is the culprit, then something is wrong, and you should exchange it for a new bottle.

The challenge now is to accurately diagnose the problem. To make sure it's not a product problem, I suggest that you purchase and use a different wax, perhaps NXT (just be sure to keep it off the trim). If the running problem does not happen again, as I'm sure it won't, then you may infer that either your TW or Cleaner Wax is defective. If it does happen again, then you may need to take a look at your application and removal techniques.
                          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                          --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                            Have you been able to correlate the runny wax problem with either product?

I cannot imagine either product re-liquifying after a rain and running onto your trim. Once the solvents and oils have evaporated after application and the wax residue has been buffed off, the protective coat ain't going to re-liquify just because some water lands on the paint surface--at least, I have never heard of this happening. (Has anyone heard of this happening before?) If Cleaner Wax is the culprit, then something is wrong, and you should exchange it for a new bottle.

The challenge now is to accurately diagnose the problem. To make sure it's not a product problem, I suggest that you purchase and use a different wax, perhaps NXT (just be sure to keep it off the trim). If the running problem does not happen again, as I'm sure it won't, then you may infer that either your TW or Cleaner Wax is defective. If it does happen again, then you may need to take a look at your application and removal techniques.
                            It happens with both of them. It may be because of the rain - it does rain a lot on the west coast..

I tried Collinite IW845 for the first time yesterday. It dries mostly clear. Hopefully this will fix the problem

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post

REALLY NEED TO SEE in order to help

Is the paint dirty?
                              Have you clayed it?
                              Sounds dirty to me.
                              I think the nicks are from the road, and thin paint.
                              No
                              Yes

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');