• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to remove miltary base stickers from the windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to remove miltary base stickers from the windshield?

Here, in San Diego, you can't throw a softball ten feet without it hitting a Navy or Marine Corps base. My neighbor just bought a used car from a Navy Chief and wants to know the best way to remove the DoD base stickers from the windshield. I suggested an exacto knife to lift an edge on the sticker and then a blow dryer, but these DoD base stickers use a really stubborn adhesive so I'm not confident this method will work. Any other suggestions?

Re: Best way to remove miltary base stickers from the windshield?

I think your suggestion sounds good, i havent had to remove any base stickers or anything like that, but ive always had a good experience with using a blow dryer. Then you can probably follow up with some goo gone or alcohol to get rid of the stuff that didnt come off.

Comment

Originally posted by john m. View Post
      'I think your suggestion sounds good, i havent had to remove any base stickers or anything like that, but ive always had a good experience with using a blow dryer. Then you can probably follow up with some goo gone or alcohol to get rid of the stuff that didnt come off.
      What he said... plus anything you can find that helps... plastic razor blades, your fingernail, etc.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Even soaking a cloth in Goo-Gone, etc, and letting it sit over the sticker to make sure it soaks in/under some.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

What your method is should work fine. Any residue/adhesive that remains scrubs and scrape with goo gone
          Matt

Comment

I always removed mine with a safety razor and then use a little of goo-gone. Always been doing it that way for many yrs with no problems. The Navy Chief who sold the car is responsible for removed of the base sticker per DOD Regulations.

Comment

3M makes a great adhesive remover that is in a red and white tin. Works wonders plus you can support Meguiar's/3M as well.
              "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

Originally posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
                I always removed mine with a safety razor and then use a little of goo-gone. Always been doing it that way for many yrs with no problems. .

Is how I have always done it
                2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                2005 Honda CRF250R
                2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Joel
                  Firefighter/EMT-B
                  Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                  "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                  '99 F-150

Comment

Razor blade and WD-40 if you don't have goo gone....
                    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

nail polish remover will also get the remaining adhesive off the windshield.
                      Michael

Talent hits a target no-one else can hit; genius hits targets no-one else can see. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Can't he drive on base with that sticker? Sounds like lousy security measures on the park of that Chief.
                        -HealthyCivic
                        Check out the glossary

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyCivic View Post
                          Can't he drive on base with that sticker? Sounds like lousy security measures on the park of that Chief.
                          My neighbor is not in th military, he just bought the car from a Navy serviceman. The stickers are misaligned, expired and are black around the edges, so the car would look much nicer without them. My neighbor tried to peel them off with tweezers last Sunday, but those things are tougher than the stickers you put on your license tags. But many thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions, I will pass them along!

Comment

With the security measure these days, it takes more than a sticker to get on.

To answer the original question, I found that using some masking tape on top of the whole sticker gives you an outline to follow with a razor blade however you need to be careful and very slow when you do this. By putting the masking tape on top, you can almost ensure that as you slide under the sticker that as long you maintain a downward angle with the razor you will remove all the sticker as one and will not leave much goo behind. It is what I did with my mustang when I took the base decals off. Just remember to be patient and go slow, and it should be off in no time.
                            Robert- 2004 Mustang GT, Black, "My second full-time Job"

Comment

Originally posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
                              I always removed mine with a safety razor and then use a little of goo-gone. Always been doing it that way for many yrs with no problems. The Navy Chief who sold the car is responsible for removed of the base sticker per DOD Regulations.

When I got my new DoD sticker for my new car they asked for the old one back......i threw that one away years ago. I told the lady that it was tough to take off and when it did come off it was in little pieces. She said as long as you bring back a piece of the sticker it would be ok. Yeah that chief definately should have took that sticker off when he sold it, he could get in deep doodoo if the car ended up in the wrong hands.
                              For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');