• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I get the Matte finish back to leather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get the Matte finish back to leather?

My seats are glossy, the used to have a Matte finish. Im guessing the product I used to clean and condition them caused this. Seats are clean.

Is there a way to get that Matte finsh back or am I stuck with shiney seats?

Thanks
    John
    2003 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson 100th Anniv. Ed

Re: How can I get the Matte finish back to leather?

You need to get the product you applied off the leather and to whatever level it's penetrated into the leather you need to remove it to whatever level is possible.

A simple approach would be to wipe with a microfiber polishing cloth dampened with water.

Another option would be to wipe with a microfiber dampened with our Quik Interior Detailer as it's a light cleaner.

Another option would be to use a microfiber dampened with our All Purpose Cleaner.

Even wiping with a microfiber dampened with generic 50/50 rubbing alcohol should remove any residues off the surface causing shine. You could even dilute this down to be weaker.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I tried water first, didnt work,I love that Quik Interior Cleaner, thats what I use on the Honda, I didnt work either, Ill give the All purpose cleaner a try next.

Thanks Mike!

Comment

APC diluted 10:1 should work. Here's a couple of threads on this topic,

In the last thread it was mentioned that our Gold Class Aloe Leather Cleaner is a safer option and this is correct. Note the comment attributed to Jason Rose on page 2 of the thread.

For some reason our Aloe Cleaner and Aloe Conditioner tend to fall of the radar screen... both are great products and allow you to break up the cleaning process from the conditioning process.

G11116 Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Conditioner

G11016 Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If the seats are glossy only where there is contact then you probably didn't keep your leather clean enough and the accumulation of dirt and crud has burnished the surface. If all the leather surface is shiny then it is likely the product used.

I use a couple cleaners. My favorite cleaner is LeatherMaster Soft Cleaner. I also use Woolite diluted 1:10 with lukewarm water. Either will clean the leather well.

I no longer use a conditioner that leaves the leather oily as this just seems to make the leather grab and hold on to dirt. Sure the leather feels soft and buttery right after application but this is what will grab and hold the dirt which in turn is what causes wear. I now use LeatherMaster Protection cream. This product dries after application. I like to compare most conditioners to a paint glaze, very oily, and the protectant as a sealant for paint. The difference is that the protectant dries, is not oily, and therefore doesn't hold dirt. Then, using a product like QID to keep the leather dust and dirt free is a snap.

My $ 0.02
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

The Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work very well for getting everything off your leather seats. Just dress it afterward and it looks like new
            1988 Toyota Tercel 1.5l I4 - AKA the BEAST
            1994 BMW 325CI
            2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
            SR Detailing

Comment

I am a HUGE fan of using APC on interiors. Leaves the surface perfectly matte, is very safe on the leather (despite what some say), and cleans all that dirt off with ease.

I have used the Magic Eraser with success, but honestly I find APC to do just as good of a job and not as messy. The only time you will run into trouble when cleaning your leather is when you are doing very old and worn leather where the dye will start to come off. This, oddly enough, is only a problem on high end hides as the fibers are closer together, making it harder for the dyes to absorb in the production process. As a result, you will see BMWs, Mercedes, and such to have the dye start to fade away, especially if ANY type of cleaner is used, regardless of how gentle. If this is the case, than just stop what you are doing, and inform the customer.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.
                Im going to give the All purpose cleaner a try this weekend. I dont think its wear, its glossy everywhere, the cleaner/conditioner I used is called Leather Only, Ive used it for a while and never had an issue before, maybe I used too much?

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');