• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for removing swirls by hand with SMA Technology

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for removing swirls by hand with SMA Technology

Hello everyone,

Over the last two days i have been doing a full swirl removal on my truck with my 2 hands, 5 foam applicator pads, SwirlX , Scratch X 2.0, and Ultimate Compound. I am all done with the exterior and just finished cleaning up all my supplies in the garage from my weekend project. It is NOT impossible to remove swirls by hand. I used artificial lighting and the sun as my guide to see if i was actually removing swirls. Both my arms are about to fall off and tomorrow is the interior which is nowhere near as hard as what i have been doing the last two days.

Ultimate Compound Tips

- First off, this is an actual Compound and just because its in the consumer line doesn't mean its not aggressive

- do a test spot first , see if it finishes LSP ready and go from there

- I found that when i did a whole panel with UC that it was too aggressive and i didn't need that strong of a product to apply to the whole truck. I think there would have been a lot of marring if i did.

- work small areas , i would say if your trying to remove swirls then a size of a microfiber would be about right.

- do not try and work too big of areas, if you do then odds are you wont work the product in long enough or remove any swirls and possibly create more problems

- use a yellow foam applicator pad, i find there better than the blue ones for defect/swirl removal

Swirl X Tips: This is the product i chose to apply to the entire truck and even applied it twice on some panels. It took 2 days just to do the whole truck with Swirl X because i wanted those light swirls i had in my truck gone. I took my time and i got a swirl free finish

- don't overuse product, a little goes a long way in a small area.

- clean your foam wax pad often

- if you don't clean your foam wax pad often then simply grab another one

- this product is just right for removing swirls and i think is the most effective for that specific problem

I didn't experience any marring when i viewed the truck in the sunlight

- if your hand gets tired, then go back and forth between both your hands.

General tips for working by hand

- dedicate a whole weekend, or predict how long it will take, take into account size of car and severity of swirls.

- don't give up, if you work small areas and work the product in properly then you will remove at least some swirls, keep in mind SwirlX is more aggressive than M83!

- take advantage of the SMAT technology and understand how they are different than diminishing abrasives

- sometimes it takes more than one pass

- if one hand gets tired then switch to the other.

- take a break after every panel or so and get something to eat or drink. I found that closing my eyes relaxed me

- take your time

- if you rush then your results wont be as good as you expect them to be

- use the sun, artificial lighting doesn't show everything

- if your car is small enough then it may not take as long as it does for larger vehicles.

- evaluate how bad your swirls are. In my case they were mild.

My Personal Experience:

Keep in mind this is just my personal experience on a Chevy Silverado, these 3 new swirl and scratch removers wont perform the exact same way on every single car. So for example: UC may finish LSP ready and it may not, for me it didn't, which is okay. So what did work for me for me was SwirlX. If i would have been in a big hurry and used UC on the whole truck and used it improperly, well things wouldn't have went okay. But having more than one product at your disposal always helps and in my case was kinda a lifesaver.

hopefully this will help others as well and be sure to keep in mind this is just my personal experience and not any official answer from Meguiar's

Thanks for reading

Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Re: Tips for removing swirls by hand with SMAT Technology

this thread will get pics momentarily
    Nick
    815-954-0773

Comment

nothing to hide:

Nick
      815-954-0773

Comment

Great Tips Nick!!
        Thanks for Sharing!!
        Truck looks Great!!
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
        '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Carfire View Post
          Great Tips Nick!!
          Thanks for Sharing!!
          Truck looks Great!!
          Im just glad its finally swirl free

thanks for all the help and kind comments ive gotten from you since ive been here
          Nick
          815-954-0773

Comment

Tuck, great write up and follow up photos showing your results AND telling us your experience to boot

The truck looks awesome.

It's nice to see writeups on the consumer line of products as well as the Mirror Glaze/Detailer lines. I don't know how many of us started on the Deep Crystal 3 step process and migrated to the professional products as time goes on.....or simply stayed with what works.

Kind of like: Find something you like and use it often eh?

We finally have the new '09 UC, UQW, SwirlX in our area and waiting for better weather to try some.

Good Show

Edit: I'm sure this may find it's way into Hot Topics!
            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
              Tuck, great write up and follow up photos showing your results AND telling us your experience to boot

The truck looks awesome.

It's nice to see writeups on the consumer line of products as well as the Mirror Glaze/Detailer lines. I don't know how many of us started on the Deep Crystal 3 step process and migrated to the professional products as time goes on.....or simply stayed with what works.

Kind of like: Find something you like and use it often eh?

We finally have the new '09 UC, UQW, SwirlX in our area and waiting for better weather to try some.

Good Show

Edit: I'm sure this may find it's way into Hot Topics!

Thanks for the kind comments Nappers,

I think these new products are fantastic and like you said the Deep Crystal 3 step series are great stepping stones. My trucks paint isnt real hard and it isnt real soft so SwirlX is my new favorite product. After all it made my truck swirl free finally. I bet you cannot wait to use them on your Yukon and then im sure your Neon is next. So in the end i got my truck swirl free and got a two day workout!

I hope when the weather warms up you will have the same great experience i am having with these new products

take care
              Nick
              815-954-0773

Comment

Excellent write-up... good tips and information for those new to working by hand.

We're going to make ths a Sticky.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Tips for removing swirls by hand with SMA Technology

This indeed is a great write up. I have a lot of buffer swirls on my finish that was left behind by the dealership when they detailed the car. My guess is they were in a hurry (this was a dealer prep, I didn't pay for it. This is the condition I got it in when I bought it).

Otherwise, the paint is great! I think using your techniques and a lot of patience, I can get a swirl free finish.

Comment

Thanks Tuck! I couldn't have read this at a more appropriate time as this Jeep has a lot of areas that must be done by hand. A small spot, compound, polish, several passes on each usually.

Great looking work!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post

Hello everyone,

Over the last two days i have been doing a full swirl removal on my truck with my 2 hands, 5 foam applicator pads, SwirlX , Scratch X 2.0, and Ultimate Compound. I am all done with the exterior and just finished cleaning up all my supplies in the garage from my weekend project. It is NOT impossible to remove swirls by hand. I used artificial lighting and the sun as my guide to see if i was actually removing swirls. Both my arms are about to fall off and tomorrow is the interior which is nowhere near as hard as what i have been doing the last two days.

Ultimate Compound Tips

- First off, this is an actual Compound and just because its in the consumer line doesn't mean its not aggressive

- I found that when i did a whole panel with UC that it was too aggressive and i didn't need that strong of a product to apply to the whole truck. I think there would have been a lot of marring if i did.

- work small areas , i would say if your trying to remove swirls then a size of a microfiber would be about right.

- do not try and work too big of areas, if you do then odds are you wont work the product in long enough or remove any swirls and possibly create more problems

- use a yellow foam applicator pad, i find there better than the blue ones for defect/swirl removal

Swirl X Tips: This is the product i chose to apply to the entire truck and even applied it twice on some panels. It took 2 days just to do the whole truck with Swirl X because i wanted those light swirls i had in my truck gone. I took my time and i got a swirl free finish

- this product is just right for removing swirls and i think is the most effective for that specific problem

- dedicate a whole weekend, or predict how long it will take, take into account size of car and severity of swirls.

- don't give up, if you work small areas and work the product in properly then you will remove at least some swirls, keep in mind SwirlX is more aggressive than M83!

- take advantage of the SMAT technology and understand how they are different than diminishing abrasives

- take a break after every panel or so and get something to eat or drink. I found that closing my eyes relaxed me

- take your time

- if your car is small enough then it may not take as long as it does for larger vehicles.

My Personal Experience:

Keep in mind this is just my personal experience on a Chevy Silverado, these 3 new swirl and scratch removers wont perform the exact same way on every single car. So for example: UC may finish LSP ready and it may not, for me it didn't, which is okay. So what did work for me for me was SwirlX. If i would have been in a big hurry and used UC on the whole truck and used it improperly, well things wouldn't have went okay. But having more than one product at your disposal always helps and in my case was kinda a lifesaver.

hopefully this will help others as well and be sure to keep in mind this is just my personal experience and not any official answer from Meguiar's

Thanks for reading

Thankyou for the tips.Unfortunately,i can't get swirlx.Do you think step 2 polish of the deep crystal system will work well with light swirls?Possibly will take a little more effort?I'm the same and don't have an orbital buffer.i looked at your pics.Great results,clear as glass!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post

Hello everyone,

Ultimate Compound Tips

- take your time

My Personal Experience:

Thanks for reading

Hi Tuck,You achieved the best possible finish.The info you gave was very useful.i'm going to have to start soon on my '93 civic.I will have to work outdoors,though.I would prefer to do this job under a roof.Did you cut out your swirls,garaged or outdoors?
                        Great color for your pick-up.Reminds me of the one in the film 'The Driver'.

Comment

Thanks Tuck for the write up. Really help me a lot. Thanks again

Comment

Very nice write up Tuck. I also work by hand (for now).
                            Your Truck looks great!
                            Last edited by foilr; Jun 1, 2009, 09:23 PM. Reason: 2nd thoughts!

Comment

Was it this thread that eventually made you to decide to buy a G110 Tuck?

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                              Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');