• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detail pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detail pricing

I am in the process of making a brochure of some sort for my detailing services. What does everyone think of my pricing? So far this is what I have.

:Basic hand wash/dry
    -Wash and dry vehicle
    -Clean on glass

$25 for car, small truck +$10 for large truck, minivan, SUV

:Express Exterior Detail
    (everything above including)
    -Clean/detail wheels
    -Dress tires
    -Wipe down door jambs
    -Clean/dress wheel wells
    -Bug & tar remover
    -Topped off with a coat of wax

$70 for car, small truck +$15 for large truck, minivan, SUV

:Express Interior Detail
    -Complete vacumm of all carpet including floor mats
    -Wipe down/cleaning of dash, steering wheel, door panels
    -Cleaning of all interior glass

$30 for car, small truck +$15 for large truck, minivan, SUV

:Complete Exterior Detail
    (everything from express exterior detail including)
    -Polishing/cleaning of all brightwork
    -Vehicle surface is polished with a dual-action buffer to remove light to moderate defects and produce a brilliant shine
    -Dressing of exterior trim

$100 for car, small truck +$15 for large truck, minivan, SUV

:Complete Interior Detail
    (everything from express interior detail including)
    -Leather surfaces reconditioned if so equipped
    -Every surface cleaned/wipe down
    -Minor to moderate stain removal
    -Cleaning of upholstery
    -Clear plastic reconditioned if needed
    -Trunk area vaccumed

$50 for car, small truck +$15 for large truck, minivan, SUV

Separate services:
    -Headlight restoration: $15 p/headlight
    -Claying of vehicle surface: $30 for car, small truck +$15 for large truck, minivan, SUV
    -Light wipe-down of the engine bay: $25

Once a month detail: Hand wash/dry, clean glass, dress tires, clean wheels, wipe-down vehicle surface with a special chemical to maintain shine: $40 for car, small truck +$15 for large truck, minivan, SUV

All info is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Detail pricing

seems pretty fair for the most part, i think the claying charge under seperate services is a bit stiff but thats alright. The engine bay cleaning service is very fair. its hard to agree on a good price these days anyway
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

You really need to charge more for the services.

The customers in my area are cheap, but not that cheap. I suggest you do some market research before confirming your prices. Also, figure out how much you want to make per hour and go from there.

For example, I wouldn't charge anything less than $150 for a detail in which defects are removed.
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Hey man, where in cincinnati do you live?

I'm in the West Chester Area.
        Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
          Hey man, where in cincinnati do you live?

I'm in the West Chester Area.
          I live in Anderson Township. It's about 1/2 or so south of West Chester.

Comment

Thanks for everyones feedback about the pricing. I'll see what some local companys are charging and see if I need to make any changes with my pricing.

Thanks again, the more information the better.

Comment

Are you mobile? I do not see how you can make money on the low end if it costs you $2 to $4 in gas getting to the location and returning home. Car washes in our area are around $20 and you have to drive there.
              Al
              ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Bunky View Post
                Are you mobile? I do not see how you can make money on the low end if it costs you $2 to $4 in gas getting to the location and returning home. Car washes in our area are around $20 and you have to drive there.
                For the most part I am mobile. But also do it at my house if car is brought to me. Right now it's more of a hobby/side job but would like to expand it into something more.

Comment

I make sure I charge at least $150 if any extra work is done on the paint besides clay bar and wax, for small vehicles and at least $200 for suvs/trucks. And that's not getting too fancy, one step polish, etc.

Most customers don't have a clue about car detailing.

My area is absolutely terrible most people scream if they see any price over $50....I don't work for free. I am still trying to build a good list of clients. I am not planning to lower prices though. If you try to go as low as people want you won't be making any profits.

Last week for instance I found it funny that some guy wanted me to detail his Silverado for $25. Then he got pissed when I told him the lowest I could charge him.
                  2008 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4.7L V8

Comment

Sounds like I need to make some adjustments on my pricing. Especially removing defects which would fall in the "Complete Detail" category. From what I have read I think it needs to be increased.

Thanks guys!

Comment

I am not a pro, but I'll give you MY opinions, as a consumer.

Originally posted by moparboy View Post
                      :Basic hand wash/dry
                      -Wash and dry vehicle
                      -Clean on glass

$25 for car, small truck +$10 for large truck, minivan, SUV
                      Seems a bit low, especially if you are doing it mobile. Coming to someone's house and cleaning their car *warrants* premium pricing as far as I'm concerned.

:Express Exterior Detail
                      (everything above including)
                      -Clean/detail wheels
                      -Dress tires
                      -Wipe down door jambs
                      -Clean/dress wheel wells
                      -Bug & tar remover
                      -Topped off with a coat of wax

$70 for car, small truck +$15 for large truck, minivan, SUV
                      Again, I think a bit low but not too bad. I think the difference between #1 and #2 is too great (#1 should be at least $35) because you want to entice people into getting more done.

:Express Interior Detail
                      -Complete vacumm of all carpet including floor mats
                      -Wipe down/cleaning of dash, steering wheel, door panels
                      -Cleaning of all interior glass

$30 for car, small truck +$15 for large truck, minivan, SUV
                      It is interesting that you split up interior/exterior. I'm not sure (as a consumer) I like that. If I want a "clean car", it means all of it. Wash/dried/vacuumed. I think it is a good way to make more $$$, but I'm not sure it will fly with regular folks.

-Vehicle surface is polished with a dual-action buffer to remove light to moderate defects and produce a brilliant shine

Way too low. Only okay as an "introductory price" iin starting out your new business. If you want to keep these prices, I would advertise them as "super saver start-up prices". LOL Once you start to build a clientele, and your reputation improves, you can charge more.

:Complete Interior Detail
                      (everything from express interior detail including)
                      -Leather surfaces reconditioned if so equipped
                      -Every surface cleaned/wipe down
                      -Minor to moderate stain removal
                      -Cleaning of upholstery
                      -Clear plastic reconditioned if needed
                      -Trunk area vaccumed

$50 for car, small truck +$15 for large truck, minivan, SUV
                      Same thoughts as above about the interior detail.

Separate services:
                      -Headlight restoration: $15 p/headlight
                      -Claying of vehicle surface: $30 for car, small truck +$15 for large truck, minivan, SUV
                      -Light wipe-down of the engine bay: $25
                      This I like except I'm puzzled... someone commented that $30 for claying was a bit steep, but to me, it's a bit low. Here is why... for all intents and purposes, claying is MUCH more involved than washing. You are effectively washing the entire dar with a 3 inch piece of clay, some lube and a MF towel. If done properly and to a badly soiled vehicle, claying can take twice or three times longer than washing.

Also, does "claying" include wheels?

Once a month detail: Hand wash/dry, clean glass, dress tires, clean wheels, wipe-down vehicle surface with a special chemical to maintain shine: $40 for car, small truck +$15 for large truck, minivan, SUV
                      Low.
                      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

"3fitty" Thanks for the advice.

The reason I separated the exterior with interior is becuase I think some times people want only the interior cleaned. A perfect example is my sister. Once a month or every two months she wants me to do a full detail on the interior of her Jeep. But dosn't want me to mess with the exterior. She is the type of person who isn't worried about swirls or bonded contaminants. She uses an automatic carwash even though I have told her they are not good on paint. So I thought I would separate the two parts of the vehicle. There was another time when I did the exterior of an SUV but the owner didn't want the interior done. However he wanted the exterior and interior done on his '70 Chevy Nova.

I think your right about charging $35 for a basic wash and increase everything else including claying. I completely forgot about claying the wheels. That can be added as well.

Thanks again!

Comment

Think about this. Your low prices are often what people pay for a haircut....I think someone is doing a lot more work....
                          Al
                          ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

the only thing I might change, and I am NO pro by any means, but I would want to change the wording on Buffer you used, I like to think that buffer in my mind relates to the dealer and how much we despise them with the defects they put into the paint when you get it taken care of in the shop. Polisher sounds a little more professional, or might open the customer up to ask questions if they don't exactly know what a polisher is. Just my .02
                            Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

You have very low prices for any skill level. But we don't know how many cars per hour/day you are completing. We also don't know if you have a staff or are a one man operation. Quality of work and demographics make all of the difference between a $20 wash and a $100 wash.

Headlight restoration seems to be at $50/per regardless of geographical location. Keep that in mind. You are getting $30 when most are getting $100.

Too many services = problems. The customers will always ask you for more and you wont get paid. You will be a "nice guy"...
                              Its like being the kind of person that always says, "well to tell you the truth". Um, why now, have you constantly lied to me before? Just do one job and do it correctly, don't do 3/4 of the job for less money.

Offer 1 wash, make it a high end wash charge accordingly. They can get a $20 wash in 10 minutes at every car wash. You need to add something extra that makes it a special offering. In my market, I could get $60-80 for this service and not feel guilty.

wash
                              wheels / wells / tires
                              dress exterior rubber
                              jambs
                              dry - maybe a QD
                              vacuum
                              windows
                              wipe dash and seats
                              spot clean interior
                              spot clean exterior- tar, grease, whatever
                              polish exhaust tips if needed

Offer 1 detail, make it high end detail and charge accordingly. "Mini" details again are a dime a dozen. A guy with a automatic car wash with 10 workers making $8/hr each will always under cut you on time and price, not worth it. I'd be comfortable charging $350 for this in my market. It seems to be the threshold of pain foe the area. I get a lot of calls for this service, I may start offering it. But I cant convince myself to not take the polishing to the extreme.

Add to the wash service:
                              clay
                              engine degrease and dress
                              2 step polish to remove RIDS and swirls (state what you are doing)
                              One step jambs
                              wax or sealant
                              Seal wheels and glass
                              Interior shampoo/extract
                              Leather treatment/dressing

Offer a correction.
                              Hourly or a flat fee. I get $425-$1,000 pending customer expectations and condition of vehicle. There are those who charge much more. I would, but I haven't seen a job yet that I felt the extra dough was warranted.

I currently only offer one service, a full correction. If customers ask for a wash or a wax, I just don't do it. If an existing customer wants their car waxed, I tell them to come over and I'll help them do it correctly as part of their last service with me. I don't want to have "mini's" or half-washes out there with my name on it. It just the end of the business I decided to take.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');