• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear coat failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear coat failure?

Hello everyone first real post

i have a 2002 hyundai santa fe which i really want to fix up. It has really bad swirl marks, scratchs and all that stuff..

On the hood i noticed white spots are these clear coat failure? is there any way i can detail my hood or its not safe because of the clear is almost gone? I really want to remove the scratches, and swirls, and restore the shine of a black car

I have the g110, M80, M83, M135

here are some pics.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2002 GLS
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2008 Limited

Re: Clear coat failure?

I don't think that is clear-coat failure. Why don't you wash the hood and clay it? The white stuff looks like embedded dirt.
    Art Layton
    2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

or worse, egg damage.....
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

The 4th pic looks more like failure, the 3rd looks more like bird droppings.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I agree with Matt, in this picture, the paint at the edge, where it's turning white is what clear coat failure usually looks like.

There's nothing you can do to reverse clearcoat failure.

The next best thing at this point is to wash, clay, polish and wax the paint an try to save for as long as possible what's left.

Is this car parked outside all the time?
          Did it get any kind of regular polishing and waxing over the years?

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Parts of the car look like clearcoat failure and others don't. As the others have said, you cannot repair the paint unless you get it repainted .

I also suggest to preserve what you have left as long as you can. Hyundai has been known to have paint that rust/fails fast and easily. They have come along way, but still have work to do .

1. Wash
            2. Clay
            3. Ultimate Compound
            4. SwirlX
            5. NXT 2.0 Wax
            Matt

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');