• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pressure washer advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pressure washer advice

wanting to buy my first power washer in order to minimise contact with the car, hence creating swirls.

i absolutely know nothing about these things, so i need your kind advice.

the washer will be used solely for the car.

...and i need you to be quite technical here (PSI, GPM, CU) pls

thanks.

Re: pressure washer advice

I have a Karcher 3.79M. Maximum PSI is 1700, HOWEVER, that is not recommended for automotive paint. It comes with two attachments, one for auto use, one for things like concrete walk ways and other less sensitive materials.

It is also 1.4GPM. It is more than sufficient.

I find it does a nice job on my car, but it does not replace the need for a lambswool mit and two buckets IMO. Mine also has a soap dispenser which is VERY handy but a VERY inefficient use of was soap. I can go through a gallon of soap, in two washes if I'm being liberal.

Overall, I like my Karcher and think it is useful, especially for cleaning, wheels, tires, wheel wells and the undercarriage. It is also very useful for removing debris off the paint. Living in a northern climate, this is especially useful for rinsing road salt and winter crud off your car.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

My opinions:

Gas powered units seem to be more durable and reliable but if you only occasionally use a PW they are inconvenient in that you must maintain another gas engine. (oil changes, fresh gas, winterizing, etc.) plus they are much heavier and bulkier to store.

Electric models come with two different electric motors. Induction motors are the better motors for extended use. The quality control of the under $300 electric models is apparently quite poor. If you buy an electric PW try to buy it where you can also buy an extended warranty. Google the web and you will find a lot of chatter about failed electric units.

I've gone through three electric models. My first PowerWasher brand model was DOA. They sent repair parts (took three weeks) so I had to repair the "new" PW before it would even run. Then I found that the tolerances were so poor that the high pressure hose attachment would cross thread just from the pressure. I sent it back in the 30 day return period. The next one, a Karcher, had a bad wand that sprayed high pressure water out of the side of the wand. Lucky I was not injured. I brought that one back to the store. They had no replacement as it was the end of the season. I'm done being a repairman for the poor QC these companies have. I expect a new working unit and one that will last at least three years without a breakdown. Apparently that is a lot to ask of the electric models.

For automotive use, anything between 1200 and 2700 psi should be fine. I prefer the lower pressure for the car and the 1200-1300 psi models are more portable.

I'll be buying another PW this spring. Not sure which type or brand. It looks like I'll need to go with a gas model to get the quality I expect.

Besides automotive use, I use a PW to clean my three TREK decks, a pond and waterfall and a granite fountain. I also have a lot of Certainteed Weatherboard siding on my home to wash down and a ton of windows.

Hope this helps you make your choice.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

thanks.

then what's the right pressure to wash the car clean without stripping the wax?

Comment

I read my response over again and I don't think it was clear. What I meant when I said "not to use" on car paint is that there are TWO wands that come with the Karcher I have and only ONE can be used on paint (according to Karcher). I'm not sure what the max PSI is for auto paint.

With regards to what jfelbab wrote... I can tell you that I have read all of the horror stories about electric power washers and the breakdowns. In fact, if I didn't get mine free, I probably wouldn't own one.

Mine has been pretty solid (I've had it for about a year and my brother-in-law had it for 2 years before that). So far so good.
          ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

If you want to minimize contact with your car I would also suggest getting a foam lance. Its like a foam gun but different. Youtube some videos of the foam lance. Its great fun too

Comment

thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');