• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help removing swirls out of a clearcoat finish by hand!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help removing swirls out of a clearcoat finish by hand!!!

Well here's goes my first question. Is this a good shooping list? I would like to eliminate some swirl from my paint. This is the bonnet (picture taken with super macro)

This would be my list:

clay: smooth surface clay kit

paint cleaner: Deep Crystal Step 1 Paint cleaner followed by 2-3 passes with Scracth X (not Scratch X 2.0)

polish: Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish

wax: NXT generation tech paste wax sealent

The problem is that this will be my first detail job on my car, which hasn't been waxed in his life (3 years old). Should I try doing this by hand or move to a DA, which would be a G220???

Re: Need help!!!

If you have a G220 DA Polisher then this will work better to remove the swirls out of the clear coat than working by hand.

Use the ScratchX instead of the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner as it will work better for removing swirls, in other words, it will work better for removing paint.

Do you have access to any of the cleaner/polishes in our Professional Line like M80 Speed Glaze or M83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

2 things to do first after washing, and drying and claying the paint,

1: Read this,

If you're moving up to machine polishing, be sure to read the below thread before starting...
      Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
      (These are all similar tools)

2: Do a Test Spot
      Make sure you can make one small area look good with your product, pads, and you're skills and abilities. Do a test spot about a foot squared or so and make sure you're getting the results you're looking for before going over the entire car.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Doing A Test-Spot

Before going over the entire car, see if you can make just one small section look good, that is apply the product you're planning on using over the entire car to just one small section about a foot squared or so. Work it in and then wipe it off, then apply the polish, work it in but not as much as the compound because now you're not trying to remove paint, just spread the product out, then immediately wipe it off, then apply the wax and let it fully dry and then wipe it off.

Now inspect our results. Make sure you can make one small section look GREAT before going over then entire car. If you can't make one small section look GREAT you won't be able to make the entire car look GREAT.

Make sense?

It should look like this,

And if you're having any problems, the post back here after the test section and we'll help you tweak your technique to insure you get it right.

Read the threads in the link below,
        http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/tags.php?tag=Test-Spot

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Well I do not have a DA polisher for the moment as I sad this will be my first detail job. In case of the DA I can get it from my contry but I can't get the #83 and #80, we dont have the professional line Returning to my list so I can skip the step 1 paint cleaner and after claying the car I can go directly to scratchX applierd with a foam aplicator. The reason I asked, I saw this thread http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ead.php?t=7011 where some scratches were removed using the scratch X. Anyway I will go for the test spot using scratchX and post some photos of the results

Comment

Originally posted by vvt_user View Post

Returning to my list so I can skip the step 1 paint cleaner and after claying the car I can go directly to ScratchX applied with a foam applicator.
            Yes. You only need to use one paint cleaner to remove swirls.

The reason I asked, I saw this thread

where some scratches were removed using the scratch X.
            Actually a bunch of scratches were removed, in this case it was actually swirls instilled by a rotary buffer after that Mercedes-Benz was painted. (I'm the guy with the Flattop haircut doing the demo in that thread ).

Anyway I will go for the test spot using ScratchX and post some photos of the results
            The most important thing when removing swirls by hand using ScratchX version 1.0 is to work small sections at at time, as in no larger than a foot squared and probably a little smaller because what you're trying to do is remove paint and you can't effectively remove paint by hand with ScratchX 1.0 if you're working too large of a section.

See these two threads for more information,

How to use ScratchX by hand to remove swirls, scratches and water spot etchings

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

Going to change the title of your thread too... the below two threads can be found in the center column of the forum homepage, just scroll down a little ways... they will help you on ANY forum you post too...

Friendly Tips...
            How to write a great subject for your message!
            The Number 3 - Try to limit the number of questions in a single message to three...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');