• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Skinny on Meguiar's D/A Polishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Skinny on Meguiar's D/A Polishes

Hi, guys. Over at the S2K Forum a question was asked about Meguiar's polishes, and being one of the few Meguiar's users that frequent the forum regularly, I attempted the following response. Though you know all of this information already, I thought I'd share it with you anyhoo. I welcome corrections and suggestions. --Al

You have several possibilities now using Meguiar's polishes with a PC:

1) Traditional, and still most popular, combo: M80/M83. Do a test spot with M80 and polishing pad. If it does not effect the desired level of correction, move up to M83 with a polishing pad, then follow-up with M80 with a polishing pad. M80 usually leaves the surface LSP-ready. If you detect any micro-marring after M80 (unlikely, but it does occasionally happen with some paint systems), go back over it with a polishing or finishing pad with either M09, M82, M205, or even ColorX.

M80 has many fans. It is easy to use. It has been described by one experienced detailer over at Autopia as "idiot-proof" (which is encouraging for folks like me). It is chock-full of glazing oils, which gives the finish a wet look. If you are going to apply a carnauba wax, then you can apply it directly after the polishing with M80. If you are going to apply a synthetic sealant, then you might want to do an IPA wipedown in order to prevent any bonding problems.

Like most of Meguiar's polishes, M80 and M83 contain diminishing abrasives. They must be worked until the abrasives are fully broken down, i.e., until the polish becomes translucent or transparent.

2) Newest professional combo: M205/M105. Do a test spot with M205 and polishing pad. If it does not effect the desired level of correction, move up to M105 with a polishing pad, then follow-up with M205 with either a polishing pad or a finishing pad. Be sure, btw, to purchase the latest formulation of M105, which is approved for use with D/A polisher.

Unlike M80 and M83, M205 and M105 contain non-diminishing abrasives. Regarding the difference between Meguiar's diminishing abrasive technology and its new super micro-abrasive technology, see this article:

What's the Difference?

M205 in particular has been getting excellent reviews as a finishing polish. See, e.g., Dave McLean's Detailing World review:

Review of M205

3) New consumer-line polishes: SwirlX, ScratchX 2.0, and Ultimate Compound. These products are based on the same abrasive technology as M105 and M205. SwirlX is a bit stronger than M205, but finishes down nicely and leaves the surface LSP-ready. Ultimate Compound is less aggressive than M105. See the following:

Aggressiveness order for new Meguiar's polishes

SwirlX and Ultimate Compound somewhat parallel M205 and M105. When using the SwirlX/UC combo, follow the directions above for M205/M105. ScratchX 2.0 is designed for spot scratch removal.

The advantage of the consumer-line products is that they are readily available at WalMart and auto stores, whereas the professional line products usually have to be ordered online and also come in larger bottles. The consumer line products are approved for D/A polisher use but not for rotary use.

I think this covers the highlights about Meguiar's polishes. If you have further questions about them, you can get a more informed response from Mike Phillips over at Meguiar's Online. I am just a newb. I think the information I have passed on is correct, but ... caveat emptor!

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by akimel; Feb 18, 2009, 03:58 PM.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Re: The Skinny on Meguiar's D/A Polishes

nice write up
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Reads pretty nicely....

Thanks for helping us out on that forum

Mike
      Mike Pennington
      Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
      Meguiar's, Inc.
      800-854-8073
      mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

(edited for langauge by Mike P.) I say M105, a rotary at 3000rpm and a 7006 pad + 25 pounds of downward force!!!

That'll fix any problems!!!*

*for the musical explanation of my polishing skills, see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcRzKltf65Y
        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');