• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best product to remove swirls by hand???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best product to remove swirls by hand???

its a 1 year old white car that I have and looking for the best product I can use to get rid of as much swirls as I can. I heard of scratchX, swirlX, M105...which one should I go for ?

Re: best product to remove swirls by hand???

Check out this review.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

Just depends upon how deep the swirls are and how hard or soft the paint is and the only way to find out what works best is to do a little testing on the paint with a few products.

Do you have any experience removing swirls out of clear coat finishes?

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

i waxed and polished cars before, I been reading alot about the proper way to detail a car.
        1. apply product in a small section in over lapping rotation, shaded area, start with very light pressure, apply little more afrer each coat and try a few more application until desired results....??
        I actually just bought a clay bar kit from meguiars and the swirlX. The clay kit also came with the cleaner/wax bottle. when can i use this cleaner/wax in the process???

1. wash
        2.clay bar w/ quick detailer
        3. swirlX
        4. cleaner/wax

is this the right process?

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxx View Post

when can i use this cleaner/wax in the process???

1. wash
          2.clay bar w/ quick detailer
          3. SwirlX
          4. cleaner/wax

is this the right process?
          That is the correct process.

After washing and drying and then claying the paint and wiping off the Quik Detailer residue after you clay a section you should be left with clean, dry, smooth paint.

Now apply the SwirlX to one small section and inspect your results as compared to surrounding paint. You need to insure you're product and process are giving your the results you want in one small section before going over the entire car.

If SwirlX isn't working fast enough or effectively enough then you'll want to move to Ultimate Compound.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

ok just finished washing my car...

first, clay bar did wonders, it smooth out the paint and got about 50% of the contamination. It didnt get all of the rust spots in the back of the bumper but it looks much better and smoother.

then the SWIRLX, well ....It didnt do nothing... I worked it on a small area on the hood in the shade.. did about 3 coats, taking 2-3 minutes on each coat. I cant see any change or improvement. I was hoping for a little improvement atleast.
            Is there any way to return or exhange this?? I bought it at adavnce auto parts.

I only did hood , roof , and trunk and just ended up fisnihing it off with the cleaner/wax that came with the clay bar kit. looks good, nice and smooth finish. Swirls is still there though when looking at it from an angle with the sun hitting the spot.

Comment

It is my understanding that Meguiar's has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are not happy with one of their products, return the product, with receipt, from the store you bought it and get your money back.

It sounds as if SwirlX simply is insufficiently aggressive for the paint system of your vehicle. You might consider stepping up to Ultimate Compound (in which case you might want to keep SwirlX to use as a finishing polish) or consider purchasing a dual-action polisher.
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                It is my understanding that Meguiar's has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are not happy with one of their products, return the product, with receipt, from the store you bought it and get your money back.
                Correct.

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                It sounds as if SwirlX simply is insufficiently aggressive for the paint system of your vehicle. You might consider stepping up to Ultimate Compound (in which case you might want to keep SwirlX to use as a finishing polish) or consider purchasing a dual-action polisher.
                Correct again, maybe read through this thread too..

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Paint systems are different, some paints are easier to remove swirls out of than others, check out this thread,

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

well I just exchanged the swirlX , thought about getting the ultimate compound but decided to just wait and get a porter cable 7424 instead, I figured If i get the ultimate compound to work, lets say after 3 coats , it would take too much effort to do the whole car. I rather just get the porter cable and get better results from removing swirls, polishing , and waxing.

I realized when applying the cleaner/wax how much effort it took to get it to the right consistency. Too much labor to do the swirls remover, polish, and then wax on the whole car.

Just got me some all wheel cleaner instead cause my 335i produces too much brake dust.

so would the porter cable 7424 do the job?? what kind of swirl remover and pad should i use to get rid of the swirls?
                    can you also recommend what polish, wax or sealant to finish it off.

Comment

it would take too much effort to do the whole car.
                      The reason it takes as much effort as it does to remove swirls and scratches by hand or machine has to do with the paint your car manufactures uses to protect the underlying panels and make your car look good. (We don't have any control over the paint or how difficult it is to work on).

I rather just get the porter cable and get better results from removing swirls, polishing , and waxing.
                      There's a reason for the last 15+ years people have been moving up to machine polishing instead of working by hand and a big part of the reason is because how hard and how long it takes for the average person to work swirls and scratches out of modern paints.

so would the porter cable 7424 do the job?? what kind of swirl remover and pad should i use to get rid of the swirls?
                      can you also recommend what polish, wax or sealant to finish it off.
                      Same advice as given above and that's to test a product by machine to see if it's effective and then go from there. Unlike the human being, the machine doesn't get tired and has plenty of consistent power to work a product, thus one product may not be aggressive enough by hand but it might be aggressive enough by machine and pad choice, you just don't know until you do a Test Spot.

Chances are good you'll want and need Ultimate Compound to remove the defects and SwirlX to bring the finish to a super clear, high gloss and then you're choice of wax to seal in all your hard wax.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

thanks, know a place I can get a deal on a porter cable?

Comment

thanks, know a place I can get a deal on a porter cable?
                          Others will probably chime in with some suggestions on this but for what it's worth ours has more power and this equates to more ability to keep the pad rotating during the cleaning step, something you'll appreciate about 15 minutes into any detailing session.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

i just did a little test spot with Swirl X today by hand and the results blew me away, i can say for sure that this Super Micro Abrasive Technology is simply amazing
                            Nick
                            Tucker's Detailing Services
                            815-954-0773
                            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                              Others will probably chime in with some suggestions on this but for what it's worth ours has more power and this equates to more ability to keep the pad rotating during the cleaning step, something you'll appreciate about 15 minutes into any detailing session.

can you send me a link to your buffer? and what pads to use with it

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');