• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove dirt from exhaust tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove dirt from exhaust tips?

I have no knowledge regarding the stainless steel polishing.

What do you guys use to clean those "black stuff" which laminated to the exhuast tips? I bought a small bottle of the Meguiar's All Metal Polish (M-2805) today and it seemed that the dirts are really stubborn to be polished.

Did I buy the wrong polish?

Note: The NXT metal polysh is still unavailable in Canada.

Please advise and thanks.

Maybe you could try using some clay? I've had success with this before. However, use some old clay as it will be useless once you are done.
    Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

is it dirt? or exhaust "stuff" like smog and combustion residues?

i start polishing an used stainless steel muffler with this polish applied with a terry cloth

but the muffler was also scratched in some parts so i sand it and then polish it using the same polish and a wool pad on a rotary buffer. Inside the tip i use a fine metal sand paper with water, dry and then polish with the same polisher and terry cloth.

The muffler i'm installing have a kind of cap so the inside tip needs to be clean and for me this is the best way to keep it clean. I don't use Meg metal polishes 'cause i can't find them

Hope this helps

Ahmed
      Zitosonic Detailing Spot

Comment

is it dirt? or exhaust "stuff" like smog and combustion residues?
        It is stuff like smog and combustion residues at the exhaust tips. I tried using some 1500 grits wet sand paper lightly sand it down, but it did not work. I don't want to sand the tips further because I am afraid that the stainless steel will oxidize.

Regarding your suggested polish, I can't find it in any retail stores in Canada.

Anybody has other suggestions?

Comment

are you using a terry cloth for this duty?

if you see any contaminant on the terry after you polish then you are removing it but keep in mind that this kind of "dirt" is very bonded due the heat and kind of residue so it may take a lot of passes to do the job

Ahmed
          Zitosonic Detailing Spot

Comment

Originally posted by Zitosonic
            are you using a terry cloth for this duty?

if you see any contaminant on the terry after you polish then you are removing it but keep in mind that this kind of "dirt" is very bonded due the heat and kind of residue so it may take a lot of passes to do the job

Ahmed
            I use 100% old cutton socks for the job. Yes, I got black stuff came out; however, these black stuffs are really stubborn. I tried using at least 5 times of the Metal Polish to polish them out but no luck.

Comment

If you cant find meg's polish, try eagle one never dull.

this weekend i can post before and after pictures if u want..
              Last edited by DefJux921; Oct 4, 2004, 09:35 AM.

Comment

If you cant find meg's polish, try eagle one never dull.

No, I got the Meguiar's All Metal Polish (M-2805) [see first post] but it did not work well or I was using the wrong technique.

Is this Eagle One never Dull working the same purpose as Meguiar's All Metal Polish (M-2805)?

Comment

i'm not sure.. sorry

Comment

Try WD-40 with very fine steel wool. You'll be amazed at how that combo works. Also, the WD-40 protects the exhaust tip and will make it easier to clean next time.

When I wash my car, after drying it with a chamois, I use a towel to wipe out the door jambs, dry the wheels/tires, and dry the exhaust tip -- that way it never gets really dirty.

Slats
                    -------------
                    John 17:3
                    -------------

Comment

Originally posted by Slats
                      Try WD-40 with very fine steel wool. You'll be amazed at how that combo works. Also, the WD-40 protects the exhaust tip and will make it easier to clean next time.

When I wash my car, after drying it with a chamois, I use a towel to wipe out the door jambs, dry the wheels/tires, and dry the exhaust tip -- that way it never gets really dirty.

Slats
                      Will there be any risks using fine steel wool to rub / clean the stainless steel exhaust tips? I do not want any swirls / scratches on those tips. Do you think using shop racks would be fine too?

Thanks.

Comment

Hey,

Firstly, are the tips "finished" stainless? If so, then using Meguiar's All Metal Polish will do a fantastic job!! Just make sure to REALLY work it in. I would also using terry cloth for the application and MF for removal.

If the stainless is in more of an unfinished state (but not in a raw or rough stage), then I would go to a Semi-truck stop and locate a green bar of stainless polishing compound. You will need to use a wheel buff on a high speed drill. This will prepare the stainless finish. Then use the All Metal Polish after the polishing compound.

Please keep us posted!

Tim
                        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Yes, the tips are finished in stainless steel. What are the proper procedures to remove those "dirt" embedded at the the tips area? I do not think terry cloth is strong enough to do the job.

Comment

Hey,

If the dirt is "embedded" then it may need to be buffed out using the green polish bar compound I mentioned.

After that, I would use terry cloth and the All Metal Polish as it will give a little more bite. Simply using terry cloth will not be enough to remove embedded dirt/stains.

Tim
                            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

What is "Green Polish Bar Compound"?

Where can I buy it from Canadian stores?
                              Last edited by C32 AMG; Oct 5, 2004, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');