• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best type of brush to use for car washing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best type of brush to use for car washing?

If washing my car using a brush, I use one similar to this:

However, I have read in a couple of places that synthetic brushes can cause washing swirls. Is this true? If so, is it better to use a boar's hair brush, such as these:

(picture from: http://www.properautocare.com/10bohawabr.html)

(picture from: http://www.autogeek.net/bohabrteha1.html)

Sometimes I do a hand wash using a microfiber chenille mitt or a lamb's wool mitt, I just usually use a brush for convenience' sake. Just curious which was better. Thanks!

Shane

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Re: What is the best type of brush to use for car washing?

DO NOT use those brushes unless you want tons of swirls! Stick to hand washing with a lambswool mitt. Do a search here on the 2 bucket method.

Comment

None of the brushes you show should be used on a car. Perhaps on a bus or tractor-trailer trucks. Use a lambs-wool or microfiber mitt and the two-bucket method. This will minimize scratches and swirls being applied to your car's finish by you!
      Art Layton
      2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

I wouldn't use any brush on a cars paint.
        AeroCleanse, LLC
        Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
        www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

there is always the old body brush...

Comment

Never used a brush...never will.
            Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

I was just wondering the same thing. Almost ordered one of those synthetic brushes from autogeek too. Didnt know they scratched the paint. Theyre specifically marketed as non-scratching by the way. So if these scratch the paint then we can assume theyll also scratch rims right?

Comment

I do not use a brush on any vechilce beside the Ambulances and Fire Trucks.
                It is faster, but harms the paint.
                At my Fire Department we have the top brush with green bristles.
                The bristles are actually kind of stiff and I think they are more prone to scrathing.
                There is a different green bristle brush that has a lot softer bristles that we used to have.
                If you went with a brush, probably boars hair brush.
                The only benefits I see to using a brush is speed and you can get the roof, in which case I use a microfiber brush.
                Joel
                Firefighter/EMT-B
                Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                '99 F-150

Comment

You do have to be very careful on your brush selection... they can create problems, that said if you must use a brush find the softest one possible. I have use Meguiars brushes and did like them but I rather use a wash mitt.
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Just Say No to Brush's

Comment

Like I said, my brush is similar to the one in the first picture of my post - however it is softer and I thoroughly rinse it out after every wash and let it air dry. I've been using it for a couple of years and haven't noticed any swirl marks caused by washing, just the normal light scratches and hairline swirl marks from sitting outside 24/7. I particularly like using a brush when I wash my car during the chilly season, to keep my hands from getting so cold. I'll probably switch to hand washing during the spring and summer.
                      Originally posted by gb387 View Post
                      You do have to be very careful on your brush selection... they can create problems, that said if you must use a brush find the softest one possible. I have use Meguiars brushes and did like them but I rather use a wash mitt.
                      Shane
                      1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

My father was using one of those "soft brushes" that attaches to a the garden hose to wash his Lexus. The bristles are super soft and his Lexus is now super swirled.

I don't want that brush within 100' of my car.
                        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

i use brushes just like both pictured whenever we have

1. BOATS
                          2. Vinyl wrapped vehicles
                          3. BIG RV's
                          4. panel /conversion vans. they usually are wrapped at least part way with vinyl.

never would i ever touch those brushes to my car, MAYBE to scrub the wheels, then again i would rather use a wash mitt and soap because there are spokes with black paint on my rims.

Comment

any of those brushes or any brush will scratch and swirl the paint, they are much too harsh, they also will more dirt around on the panel.

Using Two bucket method is, two buckets with grit guards in (one with water (rinse) the other is the shampoo), go from the shampoo do the first panel (top to bottom of car is best), rinse in rinse bucket and rub wash mitt on grit guard, squeeze out, back into the shampoo bucket.

always make sure you only do small areas before checking and cleaning the mitt in the rinse bucket. This method used correctly will instill no damage to paint. Also need to make sure the shampoo bucket stays clean so refill as needs be.

Comment

No offense to the original poster but I cringed when I read the title of the thread and thought to myself......

None of the above brushes if we are talking about my paint.....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');