• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not so much detailing, but paint repair...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not so much detailing, but paint repair...

Leased car is being turned in in under 3 weeks. Lo and behold, yet another parking lot incident.

Seems as if a truck or SUV opened their door into my driver-side mirror, taking off about a square-inch of paint. Did a quick buff, and it certainly isn't their paint on the mirror, but rather the paint on my mirror was taken clean off.

So there's a square-inch grey/white blotch on the mirror. Did i mention my car is black? This isn't the only spot too.

Is there anything I can do to attempt to "repair" this myself, or are all body panels with this (5 in all...) need to be repainted?

And in the case of repainting 5 body panels (well, 4 panels plus the mirror), am I simply better off repainting the car? Leased vehicle, so all this needs to be corrected or I'll face some serious penalties on turn in. Altogether we're looking at about 40-50 square inches of paint missing from different body panels from folks running doors into it, or using my bumpers as parking guides.
    Due October 18th: 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII "MR Edition"

See if you can find an air brush toucher in your area. These people are about amazing as paintless dent repairers. I've got a lady here that does it and she's amazing. I've had cars that were keyed that after she air brush touched the spots you could not tell they had been keyed. It will save you a lot of money over getting panels repainted.

The process is they mix up some paint using a large array of pigments they have. Air brush touch the areas then when it's dry yet workable hit it with a buffer and smooth the area out. I wish I knew of more of them around, but I'm yet to hear of anyone else ever using an air brush toucher.
    Later,
    Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
    Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

How would somebody go about finding one of these. Do you just call various body shops and ask for that. What should we look for. I know there is a directory on the internet I have used to look up PDR's in the area, is there something similar to this.

Comment

Rick, you have a PM.

Comment

You know I really don't know. The one I use just happened to be working in the area lot and the number on the side of her van got a call one day. I would think maybe call up some dent places and ask if they know anyone to do air brush touching.
          Later,
          Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
          Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');