• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which product to remove swirls out of my 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which product to remove swirls out of my 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

I drive a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL; it is a dark colored car that sits outside 24/7 and it is very fine scratches and swirl marks, similar to but not quite as obvious as what is on this TransAm:

So, what would be better for removing fine swirls and scratches: ScratchX 2.0, SwirlX, or Ultimate Compound?

Or is it best to use one of these products that is more aggressive and then follow up with a less aggressive one?

If you do that and succeed in getting out all the swirls and scratches, can you skip the polishing stage and go straight to a glaze, and then a wax?

Where would the 3 above mentioned products and #7 Show Car Glaze fit into the 5-Step Paint Care System?

Sorry for all the questions, I'd just like my car to have a better finish than it has now.
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Re: Which product to remove swirls out of my 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

We moved your post to create your own dedicated thread, sometimes it's better to just start your own thread for your project than to tag onto an existing thread.

On the bottom of the forum home page are pictures and instructions on how to do this...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If the swirls in your car's paint look like this, a picture from the thread you linked to,

Then go with the Ultimate Compound. If you've never rubbed out a clear coat by hand before then keep in mind, you need to work a small section at at time, no larger than a foot squared and you work that section for about a minute with medium or firm pressure and then lighten up your pressure for your last passes.

Polishing paint is an art form, not the act of merely wiping a product on and then smearing it around and then wiping it off.

Also, before going over the entire car, see if you can make just one small section look good, that is apply the compound, work it in and then wipe it off, then apply the polish, work it in but not as much as the compound because now you're not trying to remove paint, just spread the product out, then immediately wipe it off, then apply the wax and let it fully dry and then wipe it off.

Now inspect our results. Make sure you can make one small section look GREAT before going over then entire car. If you can't make one small section look GREAT you won't be able to make the entire car look GREAT.

Make sense?

It should look like this,

And if you're having any problems, the post back here after the test section and we'll help you tweak your technique to insure you get it right.

Read the threads in the link below,

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Ciera, Meguiar's teaches that one always begins with the least aggressive product. If I were you, I would pick up a bottle of SwirlX and then do a test spot, say, on the hood. Use a foam applicator. After rubbing it in according to the directions, remove the polish with a microfiber towel. Did it accomplish what you were hoping for? If it did, then you know that you have chosen the right product for the job. If it didn't, then either you need to refine your technique (this forum is here to help you), or you need to move up to a more aggressive polish, viz., Scratch X 2.0 or Ultimate Compound. But remember to do a test spot before attempting to polish the entire car!!! A test spot will save you a lot of grief.

Good luck!

Cheers,
        Al

EDIT: Ignore my counsel and follow whatever Mike suggests.
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
          So, what would be better for removing fine swirls and scratches: ScratchX 2.0, SwirlX, or Ultimate Compound?
          Go with Ultimate Compound and get a couple of packs of foam wax applicator pads like these,

Or is it best to use one of these products that is more aggressive and then follow up with a less aggressive one?
          That's another option but if you hone your skills and do a great job of working with UC you should be able to go to wax afterwards.

If you do that and succeed in getting out all the swirls and scratches, can you skip the polishing stage and go straight to a glaze, and then a wax?
          Yes. Meguiar's always states that the polishing step with a pure polish, especially with clear coats is an OPTIONAL step. Your choice.

Where would the 3 above mentioned products and #7 Show Car Glaze fit into the 5-Step Paint Care System?

The 5 Step Paint Care Cycle
          • Step 1: Wash
          • Step 2: Surface Prep = Clay if needed
          • Step 2: Surface Prep = Compound/Paint Cleaner if needed - This would be the product you use to remove swirls and scratches
          • Step 3: Polish - This would be a product like #7
          • Step 4: Protect - This is where you apply the wax
          Just dial in your system before going over the entire car, the system is more than products it's also you're skill and ability to apply and remove products.

Keep in mind, the only products that need to dry are waxes, everything is an apply, work-in and over and then wipe off type product.

There's a thread in Hot Topics that talks about this,

Actually there's a ton of information in the below forums and they will help you to be successful.

Have Questions? Looking for Answers?
          So much good, practical and helpful information in the "Information Station" like these two forum groups and the List 'O Links thread.
          Hot Topics
          How To Articles

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
            Ciera, Meguiar's teaches that one always begins with the least aggressive product.

EDIT: Ignore my counsel and follow whatever Mike suggests.
            Just to note, you're correct in that we always teach people to use the least aggressive product to get the job done. It's best of a person can captures the swirls and scratches in there car's paint and share them with us in their thread so I just went by the ones he linked to and added them to my post above.

Looking at the above pictures these are not 'light' swirls and scratches but swirls and scratches worthy of Ultimate Compound.

Also, because of the way the new technology works, you can actually use a more aggressive product to start with and just not work it as aggressively, (aggressive pressure), or for as long, and still get great results as long as you use good technique, don't work too large a section at one time and for your finishing passes for each section lighten up your pressure and treat the paint like it's scratch-sensitive because it is.

Most the time when a person has a problem with getting LSP ready results it's technique related, not product related.

One thing for sure, our regular and stellar members can always be counted on to help see new members through to success...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');