• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deposit on Side Mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deposit on Side Mirror

So I've noticed that there are these white (mineral?) deposits at the bottom of my side-view mirrors that don't come off by simply washing the car. I've tried scraping my fingernail on them and they don't budge. How do you recommend getting this type of deposit off? See the photo please:

-HealthyCivic
    Check out the glossary

Re: Deposit on Side Mirror

If that is hard water deposits, it could be tough.

I dont think those "CLR" type of cleaners would be recomended?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Maybe try some vinegar with a toothbrush?

The problem with using any kind of compound or paint cleaner for it's abrasive components is that you'll end up with residue in the crack or seam between the glass and the housing that holds the glass and then you'll have to clean this out. As long as you understand this you might try some Ultimate Compound if you have some with some terry cloth and then wash the area with soap and water.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

WE make a product for removing mineral deposits in our Marine Line that might work together with some agitation but it's not tested for automotive situations like this plus you'll have to locate a Marine supply store or order it online.

M4716 Hard Water Spot Remover

Thick, low-drip formula remains on vertical surfaces for easy cleaning of water spots. New technology chemically embraces and lifts mineral deposits and protects surface from future water spots. Easy to apply and easy to wipe off.

Here's some reviews...
        (From Marine Applications)

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          Hmmmm, future shower cleaner? I would finally have an excuse to buy a blue bottle.
          Scott

Comment

I'll try the vinegar+toothbrush first then.
            Last edited by HealthyCivic; Feb 11, 2009, 01:26 PM.
            -HealthyCivic
            Check out the glossary

Comment

Well, the vinegar+toothbrush worked in 2 seconds. I barely had to push at all. Mike, I'm beginning to think you know everything. Maybe Obama should ask you about this economic crisis too. I think I'm going to email the White House and ask Obama to make you the Secretary of Detailing
              -HealthyCivic
              Check out the glossary

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyCivic View Post
                Well, the vinegar+toothbrush worked in 2 seconds. I barely had to push at all. Mike, I'm beginning to think you know everything. Maybe Obama should ask you about this economic crisis too. I think I'm going to email the White House and ask Obama to make you the Secretary of Detailing
                I think you might be onto something!

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');