• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound Questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound Questions?

I was reading a thread and i noticed somebody brought up a topic of how you want a sheen of water over the car when using any type of compound, does this also include when using Ultimate Compound? What exactly is the correct way to go about using this because i saw one post of somebody who completely thrashed the paint of their car because they used it improperly. Also would it be better to use my orbital to apply the Ultimate Compound or by hand, because if i want even pressure when applying the product, i feel as though the orbital would give me that better than my hands?

Re: Ultimate Compound Questions?

Originally posted by SkinnyJ012 View Post
    I was reading a thread and i noticed somebody brought up a topic of how you want a sheen of water over the car when using any type of compound, does this also include when using Ultimate Compound?
    If "Somebody" brought up a topic that doesn't mean it's an official Meguiar's recommendation or even a good recommendation.

Please post the link to where you read this and will do our best to remove any confusion over this topic as our products are not formulated to be used with a sheen of water over the car but instead you use them just as they are out of the bottle.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ompound&page=3

Re: Ultimate Compound messed up my paint

One question for Mike and the others who are experienced with Ultimate Compound: Could the hazing that Charles unintentionally created have been caused by rubbing the compound after the surface had become dry?

I understand that with all the new products (SwirlX, ScratchX 2.0, M205, Ultimate Compound) it is important to always make sure a wet film is present, always to work wet and never to polish to a dry buff. Am I right about that?

Comment

What exactly is the correct way to go about using this because i saw one post of somebody who completely thrashed the paint of their car because they used it improperly.
        Besides product choice, it is just as important to use quality application materials and good technique. If a person is not sure on the technique then all of our products have our 1-800-347-5700 Customer Care Hotline number as well as our website address so a customer can contact us and ask questions before using the product.

Also would it be better to use my orbital to apply the Ultimate Compound or by hand, because if i want even pressure when applying the product, i feel as though the orbital would give me that better than my hands?
        Orbital buffers that look like this are ineffective for removing swirls out of clear coat paints. They are "Wax Spreaders". That is, if your finish is already in great shape then they can be used to spread some wax out over the paint.

If you want to remove below surface defects out of your car's paint like swirls and scratches then working by hand is more effective than using an orbital buffer.

What are you working on?
        What are you trying to accomplish?

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

2003 Kia Rio (Emerald Green)- Trying to get some light swirls and scratches out

Comment

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ompound&page=3

Re: Ultimate Compound messed up my paint

One question for Mike and the others who are experienced with Ultimate Compound: Could the hazing that Charles unintentionally created have been caused by rubbing the compound after the surface had become dry?
            If you read through the above thread, you'll see that myself and others have both offered suggestions as to how to properly work with compounds by hand on paint and also asked Charles about his technique when he used the product. As of today he has not returned and posted any follow-up replies so we don't know the exact manner in which he applied the product or the material he used to apply it with. The answer to both of these questions would help us to help him and anyone planning on using this product in the future and reading that thread. (Like you). For right now we're pretty much in a holding pattern as we wait for him to return and post some more information.

I understand that with all the new products (SwirlX, ScratchX 2.0, M205, Ultimate Compound) it is important to always make sure a wet film is present, always to work wet and never to polish to a dry buff. Am I right about that?
            If by wet-film you mean ample product on the surface while your working on the paint. It does not mean a sheen of water as you posted in your first post which started this thread.

Anytime you buff to a dry buff by hand or machine you lose lubrication and the potential then exists for marring and even scratching to happen.

The product is formulated to at the same time lubricate the surface while the other ingredients do their job.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

2003 Kia Rio (Emerald Green)- Trying to get some light swirls and scratches out
              Meguiar's teaches the philosophy of,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

Ultimate Compound is our most aggressive product in our Consumer Line. If anyone reading this is new to detailing cars, and specifically new to using things like compounds and paint cleaners to remove swirls and scratches it would probably be better to start out learning a new skill with a less aggressive product than to jump right in with our most aggressive product.

Since you state your trying to remove light swirls and scratches, maybe start out with SwirlX?

Be sure to purchase a few packs of foam applicator pads so you have plenty for the project.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I was reading a thread and i noticed somebody brought up a topic of how you want a sheen of water over the car when using any type of compound,
                If you can, please post the link to this thread whether on our forum or another forum so we can clear up any confusion over the topic of having a sheen of water over the car when using any type of compound.

Not sure how a person would do this without making a huge mess but we'll do our best to set the record straight.

Thanks!

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

One question for Mike and the others who are experienced with Ultimate Compound: Could the hazing that Charles unintentionally created have been caused by rubbing the compound after the surface had become dry? I understand that with all the new products (SwirlX, ScratchX 2.0, M205, Ultimate Compound) it is important to always make sure a wet film is present, always to work wet and never to polish to a dry buff. Am I right about that?
                  Hi, Skinny. In the passage you cite, I was wondering if Charles might have kept polishing past the point where the product had gone dry and therefore might have unintentionally created the hazing that we see in the pics. I suppose one sure way to make sure this does not happen is to periodically swipe one's finger over the paint surface to ensure that a wet film of lubrication, provided by the product itself, still exists. I was not talking about adding water or any other substance to the surface. Does that clarify my words?
                  Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                  --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                    Hi, Skinny. In the passage you cite, I was wondering if Charles might have kept polishing past the point where the product had gone dry and therefore might have unintentionally created the hazing that we see in the pics. I suppose one sure way to make sure this does not happen is to periodically swipe one's finger over the paint surface to ensure that a wet film of lubrication, provided by the product itself, still exists. I was not talking about adding water or any other substance to the surface. Does that clarify my words?
                    That is exactly how I do it.
                    2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                    2005 Honda CRF250R
                    2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');