• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tree Sap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree Sap

I have some hardened tree sap on my car, and was wondering what was the best thing to use yo remove it.

Re: Tree Sap

Try using clay with a lot of Quik Detailer.

Ryan
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Can also put some Bug and Tar remover on it. I tend to try to use my B&T before washing. Then clay as mentined after washing... hoepfully that would get it all.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I would try a bug and tar remover with a bug sponge, then wash as normal, clay....

Comment

Clay and Bug and Tar Remover are Great Suggestions.
          Joel
          Firefighter/EMT-B
          Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
          "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
          '99 F-150

Comment

You can also use some mineral turpentine to remove the sap. You need to polish and re-wax the area treated.
            The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
            Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

You can soften the sap with a small amount of Goo Gone and gently remove the bulk of the buildup. Try to keep this to a small area, just enough to loosen and remove the sap covered paint only. Wipe the area down with a detailer and follow up with clay. Rewax and you'll never know it was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                Can also put some Bug and Tar remover on it. I tend to try to use my B&T before washing. Then clay as mentined after washing... hoepfully that would get it all.
                Here is where my vote goes... I have always had good luck with clay alone but at times it would have been better to soften the sap up prior to removal.

On a side note, I would stay away from those bug sponges. IMO they are scratches looking for a place to happen. But thats just me!
                Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Just to cover the obvious... did you try washing it really well with soap and water? Different types of trees emit different types of sap and some sap will dissolve easily with water while others will require a strong solution to dissolve the sap.

(Just wanted to cover the basics).

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Yes, I already washed the car with soap and water. The sap is from a pine tree, and has already hardened and is white now.

Comment

You can try any of the below but first test in an inconspicuous area to make sure there are no adverse or negative effects to the surface the overspray or splattered paint is stuck on. True-Value, Lowe's and Home Depot should carry all of these,
                      • Paint Thinner
                      • Mineral Spirits
                      • Lacquer Thinner (Might be same thing as generic paint thinner, will have to check)
                      • Goo Gone
                      • Goof Off

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the help. I look forward to learning more from all the pros on this forum.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan L. View Post
                          Try using clay with a lot of Quik Detailer.

Ryan
                          Ryan... tsk, tsk, tsk.

You should recommend what we used when we were at the Batmobile gig.
                          Remember? I think it was on your Jeep, but maybe it was a black car.

Meguiar's Glass Cleaner!

Spray it onto the surface, or better yet- pour some on a piece of paper towel or rag, place it over the tree sap and let it soak.

It will remove soft or hardened tree sap effortlessly..
                          At least it has worked every time for me.

It is one of those things that old-timers used to tell me to use (alcohol) but I just brushed the advice aside. After I tried it I thought, "Why didn't I try it?!"
                          Kevin Brown
                          NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Thanks, I used some 50% isopropyl alcohol and it was removed in a matter of a couple of minutes.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');