• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound messed up my paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultimate Compound messed up my paint

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
    Hi john,i to have a civic.('93). When you say Honda's paints are quite soft:In which category:

All...
    color....
    newer models.....

I've noticed that my ol' civic(met.blue) is actually quite resilient compared to my new black pearl insight.
    Im not sure about older models like yours but from what ive seen with the 2000+ years the paint is pretty soft. Of course their are exceptions like yours. Mine is somewhere in the middle. But most people will say that they actually have softer paint than most cars.

Sorry for the late reply

Comment

Originally posted by john m. View Post
      Im not sure about older models like yours but from what ive seen with the 2000+ years the paint is pretty soft. Of course their are exceptions like yours. Mine is somewhere in the middle. But most people will say that they actually have softer paint than most cars.

Sorry for the late reply
      I can't even remember. I think the paint would have been harder back then. It has had some respray since,and they are much the same. The roof if still original and the color difference is noticable,especially after the sunroof was sprayed......i'll need to do something with the sunroof.

Comment

No word from Charles yet, huh?

I used UC on my 04 Vue and it turned out well, but, in retrospect I probably should have just started with SwirlX or attacked the scratches with SX 2.0 since they are less aggressive. I think people just have it in their nature to try to strongest cleaner instead of gradually stepping up. I know for sure in November when I get the car ready for winter I will start with SwirlX after claying or I may just get some of the scratches with Scratch X 2.0 and then use polish.

Comment

Probably won't be, as most of these threads end up this way. :\ No activity since back in February.

Comment

any news from charles... hopefully this will not discourge him from attempting to redue this ...no dout a throught wash followed by clay...then some Dc1 or megs 80 and top it off with NXT...Could have been a different approach...my opinion is only a theory and theory only ...This was possiblely done on a hott day in the direct sun light... Allways do a test spot like mike said ...

Comment

I have had that happen to my car before with Cleaner Wax, actually. I thought the surface was clean, but I'm guessing that a small wind blew some dust on the car and it looked like that. Little circles all over the car.

Comment

Sorry to see that! I always try to be sensible with my paint, so I do not have to use compounds. The most, I will use ScratchX on isolated spots, and maybe down the road with SwirlX as part of my Five step process.

Comment

Wow! That's like nothing I have EVER seen. The polishing was not done by hand by the look of it. Can you tell more about the work that you did?

Comment

I had great success using the UC but it seems like you didn't put a coat of wax after you put on the UC.The wax will get wrid of the UC residues showned on your car.Apply the wax so it leaves an even film on the surface using long horizontal strokes then when it dries buff it out in a horizontal manner.Always use this an other similar product in the shade and on a cool suface.I find that the round yellow foam applicator gives the best result. Your paint isn't ruined but if you follow these simple tips it will look great again.

Comment

• Re: Ultimate Compound messed up my paint

Same thing happened to my truck. What do I do?

Comment

I copied this from your original message: "I was using it to remove oxidation and any bonded contaminants." First of all, I would not recommend using UC to remove above surface bonded contamination, this will cause unintentional damage. Always clay before doing any polishing. That damage can be repaired fairly easy, if it is not clear coat failure; UC, and other polishes can be used to fix it using proper technique; wash, clay, then use a clean foam applicator pad or a machine with the proper color pad; keep in mind that the same color does not mean the same when dealing with different brand pads. Work small sections at a time and be sure to use even pressure across the pad to prevent finger marks. And always follow up with some type of protection like professional yellow wax, 365, etc.
                        Jeremy Dixon

Comment

Originally posted by steelergeorge71 View Post
                          Same thing happened to my truck. What do I do?
                          Good thread for you to read.

You will more than likely have to go over it with the proper technique as shown in the link I posted.
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');