• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound messed up my paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultimate Compound messed up my paint

i have a honda in my garage...and in my experience honda has a soft paint that really esay to ruin the finish by only swipping a MF towel into it, maybe after using ultimate compound u could use less agresive product like swirlX and then u could move to LSP

Comment

I made this mistake just a few weeks ago. Looking back I don't know what I was thinking.
      But since then I got a G110 and some M205 and I am hoping to work on it this weekend. I don't think it is a terrible job, but it sure is embarrassing to look at for a couple weeks.
      White 1967 Pontiac GTO
      Black 2009 GMC Sierra SLT

Comment

I thought this was an old post for a April Fools joke, I almost wanna go and try and fix it for him.
        Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Originally posted by yga View Post
          i have a honda in my garage...and in my experience honda has a soft paint that really esay to ruin the finish by only swipping a MF towel into it, maybe after using ultimate compound u could use less agresive product like swirlX and then u could move to LSP
          Hence the reason after my 90' black Stanza I gave up black for good. I like a challenge, but not when it's going to cost a fortune to maintain and it's a daily driver.

Comment

I read on another thread, that if you happen to accidently let the polish dry, or Ultimate Compound, then go over it with the same product and wipe it off. I am assuming that the moisture will get into the dryed on polish and come off. Has anyone else done this?
            Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

Originally posted by sleepy View Post
              I read on another thread, that if you happen to accidently let the polish dry, or Ultimate Compound, then go over it with the same product and wipe it off. I am assuming that the moisture will get into the dryed on polish and come off. Has anyone else done this?
              Yes! My saving grace! It does indeed work.

Comment

Originally posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
                Yes! My saving grace! It does indeed work.
                I've heard that you don't want to go over dried compound with more compound. If I used too much product and it dries in scattered clumps or smears I mist liberally with water in a spray bottle (for M105 or M205) or 50/50 IPA for non-water based product and then wipe it off gently.

What's the best way?

I'm sorry the car that's the reason for this thread turned out so bad, but seeing it reinforces the "cardinal" rule in my head, at least as I understand it;

Do a test spot and don't move on until you're comfortable with a method that successfully and efficiently achieves the results you want on the entire car.
                (and then I try to remember that all the paint may not be in the same condition so be open to modifying your technique on the next spot/panel - horizontal vs. vertical, front vs. rear, etc.)

Comment

I must have missed that part about the misting of the water to remove excess dried on product that was stubborn coming off...I'll have to try that! All I know is that I would take my applicator and go over the area again quickly, and the excess would come off with no visible damage.

Comment

Originally posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
                    I must have missed that part about the misting of the water to remove excess dried on product that was stubborn coming off...I'll have to try that! All I know is that I would take my applicator and go over the area again quickly, and the excess would come off with no visible damage.
                    That tip was given to me by an experienced detailer. Also, if using a DA or rotary it's not practical time-wise to use an applicator to remove dried product. It wipes right off with water or preferably IPA/water that has to be done anyway once your pass is finished to really see if the scratches and swirls are not being filled with product, and it's less expensive than using more product so it makes cents for me. I could see doing it when polishing by hand since you already have the applicator in your hand and it wouldn't take much product in that case. Something for me to remember when polising by hand instead of grabbing a spray bottle. Six of one...

Comment

10deg: Guess that's how we learn from each other. Good tip though!

Comment

I own a 2007 Honda Fit and it swirls no matter what I do. I use only Mequiar's microfibers, washing mits and use a two bucket system. The car still has swirls in it. I just purchased Swirl X which I plan to clay bar the car and make sure to test on a small area first to test. Normally claying and waxing the car makes it look pretty good but then over time the swirls rear their ugly heads again.

Cat :x

Comment

Are you removing them and they are coming back?
                          ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Cat, the claying and waxing will not remove the scratches and swirls in your paint. Wax may hide them for a while, but eventually they always reappear. I'm afraid you will have to polish the paint if you wish to remove them permanently.

Al
                            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                            --Al Kimel

Comment

Really? NO conclusion? Is this an episode of LOST?
                              2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
                              2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Jeez I am thinking of doing my Civic with #80 with the G110 I bought, and now im scared after seeing this car. I dont know what to do now!
                                "Forza Kimi"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');