• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird Technique on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Technique on TV

I was watching a show called Auto Trader on The Discovery Channel HD Theater channel. The guy was buffing a Porshe 924. The show took place somewhere in Europe. The guys was buffing the 924 using a rotary buffer that had a foam pad on it. He washed the car with pressure sprayer and such then he didn't dry it. He said that if the car was still wet he wouldn't burn through the paint when using the rotary/compound? Is this true or just wrong technique.
    Matt

Re: Weird Technique on TV

I have not heard of this "technique."

There really would not be any benefit to buff the car while it's still wet. The only reason would be if he's using a "dry" polish or one that needs a little bit of water - NOT a concern for Meguiar's polishes. Even then, there is too much water for the product used.

But, the water will not prevent him from burning through the paint.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Okay, that's what I thought.

These people have these car shows and consider themselves "detailers" and they don't know what they're doing.
      Matt

Comment

A lot of paint shops do this in Cyprus using Farecla products...You avoid over heating the paint and the polish/compound from dusting....I think there are more ways to keep your process safe and clean than that...I think that Farecla compounds needs water to work with for better results,but i am not sure for that , or why they need water....
        I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

I couldn't make out what product he was using. He just called it a "compound"
          Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
            I
            He said that if the car was still wet he wouldn't burn through the paint when using the rotary/compound? Is this true or just wrong technique.
            Well if a person knows what they're doing and is using good technique they won't burn through the paint.

Sounds like a real messy style

Most of my life when detailing a car for a customer I actually ask them to either wash the car, or have someone wash the car before I arrive, as in a day or two ahead of time so when I get to the car it's dry. No water in the cracks and crevices and no water on the floor.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm like you Mike. I can't have any water. I guess it's more of a style
              Matt

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');