• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many microfiber polishing cloths do I need to detail my car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many microfiber polishing cloths do I need to detail my car?

How many microfiber polishing cloths do I need to detail my car?

Often times the question comes up,

"How many microfiber polishing cloths do I need to detail my car?"

Usually this is from the perspective of detailing a car, as in a Saturday detailing session.

I would just interject that another consideration is washing your microfiber polishing cloths. It's best to not wash microfiber with other types of towels like cotton towels or a load of jeans and t-shirts, so ideally you want to only wash microfiber polishing cloths together in a dedicated microfiber wash load.

Thinking about how many microfibers you need from this perspective, you want enough microfiber polishing cloths to run at least a small load through your washer and dryer. Something about making a wash and dry load with only 4 items for example always seems kind of wasteful. So instead of stocking up on enough microfiber polishing cloths for a single detailing session, stock up on enough microfiber polishing cloths to at least make a small wash load when you're ready to wash and dry your microfiber polishing cloths.

12 average size microfiber polishing cloths makes for a good small wash load in most washing machines. So use that as a target number to shoot for when building up your supply for microfiber polishing cloths.

Here's two more tips...

Dedicated Clothes Hamper
    Swing by a store like Target or Walmart and pick up a small clothes hamper for the garage and dedicate this for just microfiber polishing cloths. It's vitally important that your microfiber polishing cloths don't get contaminated with dirt and other abrasive particles.

Seems like the wind always blows leaves into our garage and when they dry out and get crinkly and then get on microfiber it's almost impossible to get all the dried leave particles out of the nap of the microfiber nap and in this case washing it with other microfibers will contaminate them also.

So invest in enough microfiber polishing cloths to make a small wash load and invest in a dedicated clothes hamper for the garage to keep them from getting dirty and contaminated. Then when you have enough dirty microfiber polishing cloths to make a wash load, wash them, dry them and then store them in a place where they wont' get dirty.

Enclosed Storage Cabinet
    Another thing to look for at Target and Walmart that will help you are these roll around plastic cabinets with 4-5 drawers. You can fold your microfiber polishing cloths and place them in the drawers and this will keep them clean so they're always ready to use. It's self-defeating to to carefully store your dirty microfiber polishing cloths and wash them in dedicated loads if you don't have a clean place to store them for future use.

Washing and Drying
    Another question that comes up all the time is how to properly wash and dry microfiber polishing cloths. It's best to keep this process simple and uncomplicated.

Washing
    Wash your microfiber polishing cloths in the warm or hot temperature setting with a quality detergent on the normal or heavy duty setting. Choose between these options by how dirty your microfiber polishing cloths are; if they are really dirty with lots of polish and wax residue then use the hot temperature setting, on the heavy duty wash cycle. If your washer has an optional secondary or extra rinse cycle you can use this option to insure all the detergent is rinsed out before drying.

Liquid or Powder Wash Detergents
    There are people that will argue that only a liquid detergent should be used for washing microfiber polishing cloths to reduce the potential for any undissolved powder particles to somehow attach to the nap of the microfiber cloth and remain their, (undissolved), through both the wash cycle and the drying cycle. Personally I've never had a problem using powder style washing detergent. The polish and wax used on this truck was wiped off using microfiber polishing cloths washed using Tide Powder Detergent.

Here's a tip when using a powder type laundry detergent. Before you add your microfiber polishing cloths, first start by filling the wash tub with water and then add your laundry soap, (both powder or liquid), and let the laundry detergent fully mix with the water to create a uniform soapy water solution to then add your polishing cloths. With a powder type laundry detergent, the violent mixing action by the agitator will allow the powder particles to fully dissolve, thus used correctly a powder type laundry detergent is a liquid.

If you add your polishing cloths first, then pour the powdered laundry detergent on top of them and then start the load, the powder particles will have to work they're way through all the polishing cloths in order to mix and dissolve in the water. So create your soapy detergent solution first and then add your polishing cloths.

Another tip...
    If you're making a large load, mix your laundry soap using only the small or medium size wash load first, then after mixing and dissolving the laundry detergent, add your microfiber polishing cloths and then re-set the size selector to large or extra large setting, (whatever you're using), and start the timer/cycle switch at the beginning. The tub will then fill with water to the correct level and wash the microfiber polishing cloths for the full cycle in completely uniform solution of soapy water.

The paint on the below 1956 Ford F150 is a single stage urethane and was easily scratched if you were not careful.

2006 Mosler with an easily scratched clear coat finish

1954 Corvette - Single Stage black Lacquer Paint

Steve Radigan's 1960 Corvette - Single Stage Black Lacquer Paint

Both of these below cars were wiped using microfiber polishing cloths that were washed using powdered Tide laundry soap

Chip Foose's Challenging Challenger

Steve Metz Panic Parrot

And during this detail session, the microfiber polishing cloths used were washed using powdered Tide laundry soap

On other forums you'll see people argue over powder versus liquid laundry detergents but if you follow the tips presented here it really comes down to personal preference. One thing for sure, these pictures are real-world details that counter the claim that a powder type laundry detergent will somehow not dissolve, make it through both the wash and drying cycles and then scratch car paint.

Drying
    Dry your microfiber polishing cloths alone on the warm to hot setting. Don't use a fabric softener like Bounce Dryer Sheets. It's recommended to use a fabric softener when washing or drying cotton towels but not microfiber materials.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: How many microfiber polishing cloths do I need to detail my car?

You can never have too many microfibers
    Hello, I am Isaac

Comment

Originally posted by eyezack87 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by eyezack87 View Post
        Correction. You can never have to many QUALITY microfibers.

Comment

Okay now how many MF do you use to wax/polish your car? I went thru 11 doing my new 08 Malibu this past weekend

Comment

Great write-up, Mike!
            NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

I have a clothes hamper in the garage for microfibers and terry cloth towels. Since some microfibers are only used for paint and some are only for interior you want to keep them separate. I use white kitchen garabage bags and put them in the hamper. One bag will contain all the nice white meguiars MF towels and another bag will contain the yellow costco MF towels and another the terry towels that I use on the interior. When it's time to wash, I just pull out the appropriate bag. Keeps them all in the same place, but separate.
              -Bob
              NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

This is what i like to do and have available

Wiping off a quick detailer: SS microfibers
                removing wax: SS microfibers
                removing paint cleaners, polishes or compounds: Ultimate wipe
                glass care: Costco microfibers or Vroom Microfibers
                drying: Water Magnet or Soft Touch Microfiber Chamois
                Interior Care: Costco Microfiber/ Walmart Microfibers
                Tire and wheel well care: soft cotton towels or old Walmart microfibers

SS microfibers: 22
                Costco Microfibers: 66 ( bought two packs of 36 towels, good sale)
                Walmart Microfibers: 12
                Water Magnets: 3
                Soft Touch Microfiber Chamois: 1
                Vroom microfiber towels: 24
                Old tatty towels: 12

Its better to have dedicated towels/microfibers for:

Paint care
                Interior Care
                Wheel and tire care

You kinda get the idea
                Nick
                Tucker's Detailing Services
                815-954-0773
                2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Awesome info, and a question I have always had.
                  Schotography

Comment

For my interior work I just use dollar store MFs. I guess I'm going to buy some expensive ones when I start doing exterior detailing.

Comment

'Microfibres' - 'The more,the merrier!'

Mostly i stick with the Meg's ones.Recently,i picked up a 5 pack in a budget store,but put it back down again when i noticed there were bits of plastic or something,stuck in them.So be carefull on your selection for your bodywork!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

The paint on the below 1956 Ford F150 is a single stage urethane and was easily scratched if you were not careful.

2006 Mosler with an easily scratched clear coat finish

1954 Corvette - Single Stage black Lacquer Paint

Steve Radigan's 1960 Corvette - Single Stage Black Lacquer Paint

Both of these below cars were wiped using microfiber polishing cloths that were washed using powdered Tide laundry soap

Chip Foose's Challenging Challenger

Steve Metz Panic Parrot

And during this detail session, the microfiber polishing cloths used were washed using powdered Tide laundry soap

On other forums you'll see people argue over powder versus liquid laundry detergents but if you follow the tips presented here it really comes down to personal preference. One thing for sure, these pictures are real-world details that counter the claim that a powder type laundry detergent will somehow not dissolve, make it through both the wash and drying cycles and then scratch car paint.

Drying
                        Dry your microfiber polishing cloths alone on the warm to hot setting. Don't use a fabric softener like Bounce Dryer Sheets. It's recommended to use a fabric softener when washing or drying cotton towels but not microfiber materials.

Love all those cars!

Chip Foose-Great guy that really knows his stuff!

Comment

I agree that you can never have too many MF towels. I use the freshest MF towels for buffing and removing waxes. The older MF towels are used for washing, and the really old ones I use to remove dirt and grime from the wheels.
                          Greetings from the Montero Sport Club of the Philippines! Visit us online at: www.monterosportclubphils.com

Comment

The more the merrier, I have all my mircofibers in diffrent colours just so i know whats for what.
                            "Now that's a Job well done Mate"

Comment

My guess those who have actually experienced problems with powered detergents are probably just using too much soap...more is not better...even liquid. The more you add the more you have to rinse.

It is better to wash twice (run cucle again) rather than just trying to add extra detergent assuming it will clean better.
                              Al
                              ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');