• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Marine line safe for clearcoat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Marine line safe for clearcoat?

Hi all, I'm actually asking this for a family friend.

He just got his boat refinished with an automotive type finish. He regularly works on cars and decided one day to just repaint a small boat that had been neglected for years (We live in a city with a freshwater lagoon where houses have these little boats, but he never used it until recently). So now he wants to use his boat regularly and is looking to protecting it.

Another boat owner friend of ours tells us it's no problem, and made his products (Meg's marine line mostly) available to us, so I'm here to make sure.

Thanks!

Re: Is the Marine line safe for clearcoat?

At Meguiar’s we would recommend keeping your products specific to the surface that you are working with. That way you can ensure that you are going to be able to obtain the best possible results without causing any harm. Your average gel coat is much thicker and harder than your average clear coat. So, if you were using a cleaner from the Marine line (for gel coats) on paint or clear coat it might end up being too aggressive. Alternatively, if you use a cleaner made for paint/clear coat on a gel coat it might not be aggressive enough. If the boat that your buddy’s working with is painted employ products made for paint and you'll be in good shape.
    Rick McDonough
    Customer Engagement - Digital Content Editor
    Meguiar's Inc.
    1.800.854.8073 * 3853
    rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

I imagined so with regards to the cleaners. Would it be safe to use the wax? This is what I'm most concerned about, since from what I can tell, the waxes from the automotive line won't last as long on a surface that is submerged 24/7

Comment

It would be safe to use either the Flagship Premium Marine Wax or the #56 Pure Wax, yes.
        Rick McDonough
        Meguiar's Inc.
        1.800.854.8073 * 3853
        rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

^^ Thanks, that's all I needed. I'll tell himi to use his own stuff and use our friend's wax then

edit: what about the quick wax and high gloss polish?
          Last edited by tnforever; Jan 27, 2009, 04:54 PM.

Comment

The Quik Wax #59 and #45 High Gloss Polish can be used safely as well. Just to reiterate though, Meguiar’s always recommends matching the product with the surface it was formulated for.
            Rick McDonough
            Meguiar's Inc.
            1.800.854.8073 * 3853
            rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

Yes sir!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');