• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Linguistics of the Clay Bar: It's Time to Correct our Spelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Linguistics of the Clay Bar: It's Time to Correct our Spelling

Originally posted by bluey View Post
    Hey Akimel
    Is "wordsmithing" a word?
    Just checking to see if Mike is as linguistically cunning as you have proven to be....
    Mike is correct.

word⋅smith
       /ˈwɜrdˌsmɪθ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [wurd-smith] Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. an expert in the use of words.
    2. a person, as a journalist or novelist, whose vocation is writing.
    Origin:
    1895–1900; word + smith

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
      Mike is correct.

word⋅smith
         /ˈwɜrdˌsmɪθ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [wurd-smith] Show IPA Pronunciation
      –noun
      1. an expert in the use of words.
      2. a person, as a journalist or novelist, whose vocation is writing.
      Origin:
      1895–1900; word + smith

Well sort of, wordsmith or word-smith is legit, but "wordsmithing" is not. (oops see below)

Correction: I found "wordsmithing" to also be legit on another online Encyclopedia and Dictionary.

Mike
      Last edited by Mikejl; Jan 27, 2009, 09:34 PM. Reason: To correct my correction.
      Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

I lost you at "the." lol

Comment

It's been almost two years since I posted this, so I thought I'd bump it just to introduce it to the new folks.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

Great thread Al. I must have missed it two years ago.

It's good to see there are still some people out there who care. There is far too much bad spelling and grammar on the internet these days.

I agree that we should adopt "claying" as the verb. "Clay barring" is erroneous IMO...
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post

It's been almost two years since I posted this, so I thought I'd bump it just to introduce it to the new folks.
              Geez, you could've retyped the whole thing to save those of us that hit "New Posts" when we enter the Forum the trouble of scrolling back to read. I must've wasted 10 seconds of my life scrolling when I could have been clay-barring my monitor.

Comment

Hmmm....
                Yer first post was in Jan. '09.

Before posting that one, you probably had been having a lot of free time and had been thinking about "clay bar" for a couple months...say since, Nov. 09?

Exactly 1 year.

Thus my friend, you appear to have SSD (Seasonal Detailing Disorder). (An offshoot of SAD: Seasonal Affective Disorder, aka the "winter blues".)

You need to GET help! SDD can cause severe gastric distress: TSS (The Screaming S****) which sometime hits New Years day. You've got one month.

The remedy is to wax the hood of your car and on a clear winter day stare at the sun's reflection until all thoughts of "clay bar" dissappear.
                Good luck.

Last edited by Jossy92; Dec 1, 2010, 11:18 AM. Reason: typos..
                Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Thank you, Dr Jossy! I accept both your diagnosis and remedy.
                  Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                  --Al Kimel

Comment

That's good stuff Al. I must have missed it last year too. Hey, how about you bring your whimsical knowledge over to Lynchburg on the 11th for our next car meet. We are christening my new garage in the process. Maybe we can have a class on "Clay Bar Art".

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');