• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first attempt

Hi guys, well I finally polished my car last Saturday. The whole process.....well...... Wasn't as I expected. I did remove light swirls on my car, but could not remove any light scratches (the ones you see under halogen light). I used M09, M80, and M83 with LC 4" white and orange pad.

This is how I did it:
    First, I did a test spot and noticed that I'd be better off starting with M83 + 4" white LC polishing pad. So I did it for the first pass and noticed most of the light swirls gone, however the finer scratches (again it can only be seen under halogen light) could not be removed. I did a second pass and still nothing. I decided to try M83 with 4" orange light cutting pad... Still nothing. I finally gave up and just went down to M80 with 4" white polishing pad to finish it off.

Can anyone please tell me what I did wrong? Did I not make enough passes? Supposedly if I didn't, at least the scratches would have gotten A LITTLE BIT lighter...

Re: My first attempt

4" is kind of small.

How large of a work area are you working on?
    How Much Polish are you using on your Pad?
    How Often are you cleaning your pads "on the fly?"

Describe your exact process a little more. I have had amazing success using M83 on my black paint that was in horrible condition....Don't Give Up. It really took me a long time too.

I suggest signing up for this Saturday's Meguiar's Class.
    Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
      4" is kind of small.

How large of a work area are you working on?
      How Much Polish are you using on your Pad?
      How Often are you cleaning your pads "on the fly?"

Describe your exact process a little more. I have had amazing success using M83 on my black paint that was in horrible condition....Don't Give Up. It really took me a long time too.

I suggest signing up for this Saturday's Meguiar's Class.
      *I thought smaller pads = more cutting power?

No more than 18"18 area with about nickel amount of polish. I clean it after every pass. I tried my best to put about 10 lbs of pressure and going as slow as about 2" every second, and buffing it out after the polish has become clear.

I really want to sign up for the class but my schedule conflicts it.

Comment

What kind of machine are you using? A lot of "if's" in between, but you may have reached the limits of the machine.

Mort

Comment

If after buffing a section and the majority of haze and swirls are gone, and now when you inspect you see a few Random, Isolated, Deeper Scratches, we call these RIDS and this is normal for cars that have seen some wear and tear.

Removing RIDS is harder and takes longer.

Does this describe what you're seeing?

That is the results of what your getting look good, (the paint is now clear and gloss as compared to how it looked when you started), it's just now the RIDS show up better and easier to your eyes?

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mort Corey View Post
            What kind of machine are you using? A lot of "if's" in between, but you may have reached the limits of the machine.

Mort
            Hi Mort, I'm using a PC7424.

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            If after buffing a section and the majority of haze and swirls are gone, and now when you inspect you see a few Random, Isolated, Deeper Scratches, we call these RIDS and this is normal for cars that have seen some wear and tear.

Removing RIDS is harder and takes longer.

Does this describe what you're seeing?

That is the results of what your getting look good, (the paint is now clear and gloss as compared to how it looked when you started), it's just now the RIDS show up better and easier to your eyes?

I believe that is it Mike, just random deeper scratches that is visible only under halogen light. How do I go about removing RIDS?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Boba View Post

How do I go about removing RIDS?
              The simple answer is you just keep removing the paint around the RIDS until the uppermost surface is level with the lowest depth of the scratch you're trying to remove.

Of course, the more clear you remove, the less UV protection you have for the basecoat over the lifetime of the car. If the car is a daily driver, then in most cases it's best to just live with them.

See this thread,

FWIW
              I don't remove RIDS out of my daily drivers...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                The simple answer is you just keep removing the paint around the RIDS until the uppermost surface is level with the lowest depth of the scratch you're trying to remove.

Of course, the more clear you remove, the less UV protection you have for the basecoat over the lifetime of the car. If the car is a daily driver, then in most cases it's best to just live with them.

See this thread,

FWIW
                I don't remove RIDS out of my daily drivers...

Thanks Mike. I was quite upset during the polishing process since it took me literally 3 hours just to polish my hood only to find out that I couldn't perfect my paint. I've always thought that the result on the paint should be absolutely scratch-less from all the before & after pictures I have seen. I guess I should be glad since the swirls are gone, and that is what's obvious when we look at our cars from under direct sunlight.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');