• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are my Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my Options

Hi Everyone,

Currently, I am working mostly by hand and I only have access to a Obital Polisher which has a speed of about 3,000rpms.
    The pads that it comes with the polisher are similar to the Black and Decker Obital Polisher. It has foam pad, wool and cloth.

What are the options available if I would like to use Obital Polisher to remove the swirls or scratch marks?
    I have tried ColorX with Obital Polisher over the weekend and it seems to me that it is able to remove some light scratches. I am not able to check if swirls marks are remove as I do not have the chance to view it under bright lights.

Will I will create burn marks if I applied too much pressure to remove the swirls and light scratch.

Thanks.

Re: What are my Options

I do not know exactly.
    Welcome to Meguiars Online!!
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

You should keep in mind that the Orbital Polisher has it's limits.
      You can remove defects with it but some will stay, but you can achieve better results and more uniform with it compared to hand polishing.

I have a question, are you talking about Orbital Buffer or Rotary Buffer?
      In the post you say Orbital but you posted on the Rotary, these machines are two very very different machines.

Check out this thread, and identify your machine, this way you can get a more accurate answer.
      Machine Photos - Rotary Buffer - DA Polisher - Orbital Buffer

Comment

That depends on your orbital polisher. A DA like meg's G100/110 or a PC has a slip clutch mechanism which stops the orbital action if one uses too much pressure. If yours keeps moving no matter how much pressure you apply, then yes, you may mar the paint.
        A burn mark in particular? If your orbital polisher is another term for a rotary polisher, then yes. If orbital polisher means a random orbital polisher, then it would more probably mar the paint than burn it.
        Heatgain (Gary)
        The Irate Magistrate
        Neutral & Detached

Comment

Originally posted by yalerd View Post
          You should keep in mind that the Orbital Polisher has it's limits.
          You can remove defects with it but some will stay, but you can achieve better results and more uniform with it compared to hand polishing.

I have a question, are you talking about Orbital Buffer or Rotary Buffer?
          In the post you say Orbital but you posted on the Rotary, these machines are two very very different machines.

Check out this thread, and identify your machine, this way you can get a more accurate answer.
          Machine Photos - Rotary Buffer - DA Polisher - Orbital Buffer

Hi Yalerd,

thank you for your advise. I am using Oribtal Buffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Heatgain View Post
            That depends on your orbital polisher. A DA like meg's G100/110 or a PC has a slip clutch mechanism which stops the orbital action if one uses too much pressure. If yours keeps moving no matter how much pressure you apply, then yes, you may mar the paint.
            A burn mark in particular? If your orbital polisher is another term for a rotary polisher, then yes. If orbital polisher means a random orbital polisher, then it would more probably mar the paint than burn it.

My Orbital polisher is similar to the black & Decker as shown in this thread.
            It does not have any stopping mechanism when too much pressure is applied.

Comment

Originally posted by blackt00th View Post
              Hi Everyone,

Currently, I am working mostly by hand and I only have access to a Obital Polisher which has a speed of about 3,000rpms.
              The pads that it comes with the polisher are similar to the Black and Decker Obital Polisher. It has foam pad, wool and cloth.

What are the options available if I would like to use Obital Polisher to remove the swirls or scratch marks?
              I have tried ColorX with Obital Polisher over the weekend and it seems to me that it is able to remove some light scratches. I am not able to check if swirls marks are remove as I do not have the chance to view it under bright lights.

Will I will create burn marks if I applied too much pressure to remove the swirls and light scratch.

Thanks.
              just an update.
              I have manage to spot the swirls under sunlight.
              Are there any products that I can use to remove the swirls with my obital polisher??? #80? #83? or should I wait for the new Swirl remover....

Comment

just an update.
                I have manage to spot the swirls under sunlight.
                Are there any products that I can use to remove the swirls with my obital polisher??? #80? #83? or should I wait for the new Swirl remover....
                The new M105 is listed to work with the orbital style polishers.

But, my *personal* opinion is that you will be better off working by hand with the new M105 to remove the swirls than with a low-power orbital polisher.

Of course, you can always try it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post

But, my *personal* opinion is that you will be better off working by hand with the new M105 to remove the swirls than with a low-power orbital polisher.

hi Mark, thank you for your suggestion. I will give M105 a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post

Hi Mark, I am only able to lay my hands on M67 from the Marine series.
                    Do you think it will work fine?

I have enquire about M105 but its too much for me. The local agent only carries 1 gal size.

Comment

Hi Mark, I am only able to lay my hands on M67 from the Marine series.
                      Do you think it will work fine?
                      No. Compounds in our Marine Line are too aggressive for automotive clear coats, you risk damaging your paint by trying to use a Marine compound on an automotive clear coat.

I have enquire about M105 but its too much for me. The local agent only carries 1 gal size.
                      The tool you have we refer to as a "Traditional Orbital Polisher", it was good for removing oxidation back in the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's on single stage paints but it's pretty much ineffective for removing swirls out of clear coat paints.

As Mark posted, you will be better off to remove swirls by hand with any of the below than to try to use an TOP (Traditional Orbital Polisher)

Ultimate Compound
                      ScratchX 2.0
                      M105 Ultra-Cut Compound - New Formula DA Polisher Approved

If you can't get any of the above then it's possible to remove swirls using the previous version of ScratchX it's just going to require more applications and more passion.

This all has to do with the hardness or polishability of modern clear coat paints. They tend to be harder than traditional single stage paints and this makes it more difficult and even frustrating for people to remove swirls and scratches out of them.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                        No. Compounds in our Marine Line are too aggressive for automotive clear coats, you risk damaging your paint by trying to use a Marine compound on an automotive clear coat.

The tool you have we refer to as a "Traditional Orbital Polisher", it was good for removing oxidation back in the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's on single stage paints but it's pretty much ineffective for removing swirls out of clear coat paints.

As Mark posted, you will be better off to remove swirls by hand with any of the below than to try to use an TOP (Traditional Orbital Polisher)

Ultimate Compound
                        ScratchX 2.0
                        M105 Ultra-Cut Compound - New Formula DA Polisher Approved

If you can't get any of the above then it's possible to remove swirls using the previous version of ScratchX it's just going to require more applications and more passion.

This all has to do with the hardness or polishability of modern clear coat paints. They tend to be harder than traditional single stage paints and this makes it more difficult and even frustrating for people to remove swirls and scratches out of them.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply. To be honest, I have used M67 on my car as it was not maintain for 3 over years and it is able to remove the oxidation on my clear coat. Now I am just trying to correct the "mistake".

Currently, I am using ColorX followed by #21v2 to maintain my car.
                        Occasionally, I am using DC2 with M56 as well.

I have read on other threads that SwirlX will work well with TOP. Will Ultimate Compound and Scatch2 work well with TOP?

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');