• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Coat Blurry - Need Help Plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Coat Blurry - Need Help Plz

Me & my father spent 2 weeks preping & re-spraying my R31.
    He's a hobby-ist, knows a fair bit about spraying, he's done a few cars before & done his own RX7 about 4 or 5 times now (changing colours, experimenting & learning).

We took no short-cuts. He made me work my rear end off. Dang, I'm so over sanding!!
    We sprayed it in an acrylic metallic black, a Nissan Skyline R34 colour named "Black Pearl". BV5 I think the code is. Although the actual R34 is enamal.
    From memory, we done about 4 coats of colour & 8 coats of clear, 2 of which were cut back.

Heres how it looked the next morning after the job was finally done, the clear was cut back & the car was polished & waxed, about 9 months ago:

Since then, the clear coat had started to blurr & get an ugly haze to it, for no apparent reason. We first thought it may have been the products used in the local car-wash, where I like to occasionally go & manually use each product with a gun & soap-broom.
    So about 2 months ago, we cut another layer or 2 of clear back. The boot, roof & bonnet needed more work than the sides.
    We used Meguiar's swirl remover, cutting compound, a buffer & Meguiar's yellow wax.

After that, it was good-as-new again. Maybe better than the first time.
    Since then I have used no products at all, only water & a chamois at home. The car is always garaged, & only sits out in the open (no trees or shade) for 10hrs, 4 days a week, while Im at work.

Last week I finally got fed-up, noticing that the clear was starting to haze again. So I hosed down the car, got out the dishwashing detergent & cleaned it to remove all wax & polish. I then re-waxed it, & realised it had done absolutely nothing at all to the shine, but made it smoother & slippery-er.

Heres how it looks today, after washing it with water & chamoising it:

Is there any way I could fix this quickly & easily, without having to take it to a painter's & spend thousands?..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Markus Kleis; Jan 4, 2009, 05:42 PM. Reason: Family Friendly language

Re: Clear Coat Blurry - Need Help Plz

Welcome to MOL EK,

Just a reminder we have children on these forums so we try to keep it as family friendly as possible. I made a few changes to your word selection just so it was ultra safe for all viewers.

We just ask that you try and do the same in the future.

Thanks!

Mark

Comment

Little help please? Anyone?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

Comment

After you cut and polish a brand new paint job, you wait about 30 days and then you seal it up.

If you do nothing, then you've opened the paint up, (when you sanded and cut it), then after it cured you've left it open with no protection. You need to seal the paint with a coat of wax or paint sealant if you want the paint's appearance to last.

Bare paint that is washed and then never polished or waxed will continually look duller and duller with each wash and time. At least it won't get better and better with more washing and time.

If it's something about the clear itself that is fading out then only a re-paint will fix the problem.

You could test a section by simply polishing and then waxing it and then inspect the results and see how long they hold up.

Maybe also show it to a Pro Painter that uses this paint system or the Paint Mixer at the PBE store where you bought the paint.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

One time I had a trunk lid repainted and it got the same look a number of days later after I picked the car up, I brought it back to the painter and they fixed it, I recall him saying it had to do with the solvents evaporating and they cut the paint back and repolished it. I've also heard the term "solvent pop", I think this may be what you have

Comment

From the pictures it's probably paint related...

(I know the poster doesn't want to hear that)

Check with a Pro Painter of that paint line. If you bought the paint from a local paint supplier, (we call them PBE stores, Paint, Body & Equipment stores), then hopefully the Paint Mixer, (the guy behind the counter that mixes and sells the different paints), can either look at it for you and probably diagnosis what's going on or he should know of a Pro Painter that uses that paint system/clear.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              After you cut and polish a brand new paint job, you wait about 30 days and then you seal it up.

If you do nothing, then you've opened the paint up, (when you sanded and cut it), then after it cured you've left it open with no protection. You need to seal the paint with a coat of wax or paint sealant if you want the paint's appearance to last.

Bare paint that is washed and then never polished or waxed will continually look duller and duller with each wash and time. At least it won't get better and better with more washing and time.

If it's something about the clear itself that is fading out then only a re-paint will fix the problem.

You could test a section by simply polishing and then waxing it and then inspect the results and see how long they hold up.

Maybe also show it to a Pro Painter that uses this paint system or the Paint Mixer at the PBE store where you bought the paint.

Mike, i have some questions for this chance, when you received some car that the appearance its like this one, the paint don't respond to any product and they are just paint, for example, i have a friend that want i made his car, but the cars its recently painted, its very dark the paint and have yet all the imperfection that left when you painted, how i supposed work that, using unigrit and compound or how you recommend? i can post some pictures of the cars in the future
              Jose Holguin

Comment

Originally posted by vam_ras View Post
                Mike, i have some questions for this chance, when you received some car that the appearance its like this one, the paint don't respond to any product and they are just paint, for example, i have a friend that want i made his car, but the cars its recently painted, its very dark the paint and have yet all the imperfection that left when you painted, how i supposed work that, using unigrit and compound or how you recommend? i can post some pictures of the cars in the future
                If the problem is actually the "layer" of paint, as in something when wrong in the mixing, the spraying or the drying and now there's a problem with the paint itself than there's usually nothing you can do that will be permanent.

If the problems are just topical, as in dirt nibs or swirls from poor quality buff job the first time, then often times with the right tools, pads and products the finish can be restored.

Maybe start your own dedicated thread and post as best of pictures as you can capture of the problem.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                  If the problem is actually the "layer" of paint, as in something when wrong in the mixing, the spraying or the drying and now there's a problem with the paint itself than there's usually nothing you can do that will be permanent.

If the problems are just topical, as in dirt nibs or swirls from poor quality buff job the first time, then often times with the right tools, pads and products the finish can be restored.

Maybe start your own dedicated thread and post as best of pictures as you can capture of the problem.

thanks a lot Mike, on the weekend i will take some picture to show you and the guys the problem.
                  Jose Holguin

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');