• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ScratchX vs. New ScratchX 2.0 (hand application)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScratchX vs. New ScratchX 2.0 (hand application)

Hi Everyone,

I hope you all had a wonderful New Years!

I've been doing some searching and reading about these two products, but I still have some questions about their differences in practical applications.

---

Related topics:
    The Definitive ScratchX Thread Collection:

How to Remove a Defect by Hand with ScratchX:

Aggressiveness Order of New Consumer Products - This will surprise you!:

ScratchX 2.0:

What makes super abrasive technology better:

---

Has anyone done a hand application side by side comparison of the two ScratchX formulas yet?

Given that the new formula is more aggressive than the original, is the application technique/procedure any different? That is, does the application take less "passion"?
    Here's a quote from the last link in the above list:
    Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    How long it takes depends upon a lot of factors like pad and product choice, depth of defect, hardness or softness of paint. Major difference is you can stop anytime in the buffing cycle. You can and should stop when the defects are removed. With a diminishing abrasive you need to buff long enough to insure all the abrasives have broken down or you could leave swirls behind.
    Given that it is generally recommended to begin with the least aggressive product before moving up to another, what will be the least aggressive consumer product for use by hand when the original ScratchX formula is no longer available?
    ?SwirlX?

---

The personal reason for this question:
    I have water spots/etchings in my clear coat from a numerous rogue sprinkler attacks...
    I have since found a better place to park and would like to try to remove the "scars."

Related link:
    How To Remove Water Spots off Automotive Paint:

From this thread:
    Hard Water Spots:

It seems that the new formula will be easier/quicker, but I am bit concerned with the aggressiveness jump between the products. Is this a genuine concern or just newbie "cold feet"?

I usually apply products with foam pads and remove with terry cloth towels-- any issues with terry cloth towels and the new formula?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

I plan on testing both products in the next few days and will update with my progress and thoughts.

Take care,
    volvie!

Re: ScratchX vs. New ScratchX 2.0 (hand application)

Originally posted by volvie! View Post
    Has anyone done a hand application side by side comparison of the two ScratchX formulas yet?
    Yes.

Given that the new formula is more aggressive than the original, is the application technique/procedure any different? That is, does the application take less "passion
    Better result faster with less passion and less applications.

Given that it is generally recommended to begin with the least aggressive product before moving up to another, what will be the least aggressive consumer product for use by hand when the original ScratchX formula is no longer available?
    SwirlX?
    Yes, you can start with SwirlX by hand.

Note Meguiar's isn't one to launch any Consumer product without extensive testing to insure the product is safe and effective. The new paint care products are no exception. If Meguiar's is upgrading ScratchX 1.0 to 2.0 you can be sure all our ducks are in a row.

The personal reason for this question:
    I have water spots/etchings in my clear coat from a numerous rogue sprinkler attacks...

I have since found a better place to park and would like to try to remove the "scars."
    Removing Type II Water Spots our of most clear coat finish will likely require ScratchX over SwirlX as a more effective, faster product for the job.

It seems that the new formula will be easier/quicker, but I am bit concerned with the aggressiveness jump between the products. Is this a genuine concern or just newbie "cold feet"?
    Remember, besides the product itself, you have control over application material, time spent applying and pressure, so when you start out just play with it a little and get use to the new improvements. You'll be happily surprised and impressed.

I usually apply products with foam pads and remove with terry cloth towels-- any issues with terry cloth towels and the new formula?
    Apply using foam, wipe off using microfiber as it's more gentle to your finish than most cotton towels on the market. But that is a personal preference option.

Please do update us as to your results....

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions!

I'm looking forward to doing a side-by-side comparison tomorrow and will update with my thoughts and progress shortly thereafter...

Take care,
      volvie!

Comment

Re: The Test! (hand application)

Hi Everyone,

I had a chance to compare both versions of ScratchX today and was very pleased with both!

I had no prior experience with either product before today, so I think I could be considered unbiased.

Products applied to:
        Wagon: 2004 Volvo V70 2.5T:
        Paint color: Platinum green metallic
        Clear coat: Yes
        Paint issues:
        -Water spots and water etchings from sprinklers
        Damage primarily on passenger front fender/hood and door
        -Three other small areas, including a spot, a stain, and a scratch/bird poo etching
        Previous attempts to remove water spots/etchings: Vinegar wipe down, but no change to water spots/etchings

Process:
        -Wash: Meg's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner
        -Clay: Meg's Smooth Surface Clay Kit
        -Wash: As above
        -Dry
        -Test!

First impressions:
        ScratchX:
        -Smell: reminds me of lotion soap
        -Rubbing between thumb and finger: feels thick and smooth like lotion
        -Application to car surface: spreads smoothly and evenly over small area
        -Removal: easily wipes off car surface

ScratchX2:
        -Smell: reminds me of pine
        -Rubbing between thumb and finger: feels thinner than original formula and little bits of grit can be felt
        -Application to car surface: spreads smoothly and evenly over larger surface (a little bit goes a long way)
        -Removal: easily wipes off car surface

Note: All pictures seen below were taken after the wash-clay-wash-dry process.

The test spot location: Passenger front hood

Test spot close-up (Standing at passenger front fender, looking towards driver's side):

Water spot close-ups of the four quadrants:
        Lower Left:

Upper Left:

Upper Right:

Lower Right:

Product placements in quadrant:

So, I used the same products on diagonals to each other for better comparison.
        Sx1-Sx2
        Sx2-SX1

Results after one pass:
        Lower Left:

Upper Left:

Upper Right:

Lower Right:

After pass one, all quadrants:

After pass one, under the tape:

Under the tape, close-up:

So, as you can see BOTH products got rid of the water spots/etchings with just one pass!
        How awesome is that!?!
        So, either, my clear coat is very forgiving or both versions of ScratchX work as advertised!

Since I have one car with single stage/no clear coat and one with clear coat, I decided to use the new ScratchX2 on this car and "save" the original ScratchX for my single stage paint car.

Here are the before and after shots of the other paint issues using ScratchX2:
        Front passenger hood:

Front driver's side roof stain:
        Before:

After pass one:

Mid-Driver's side roof (scratch and) bird poo etching:
        Before:

After pass one:

After pass two:

Rear passenger's side roof spot:
        Before:

After pass one:

As you can see, I ran out of time (i.e., the sun set) before I could fully correct all the paint spots, but all the water spots/etchings were easily removed with one to three passes of the ScratchX2!
        Hope your results are as good as mine!
        Take care,
        volvie!

Comment

Great Idea!!
          Nice Write Up!!
          Thanks for Sharing!!
          Great Job!!
          Joel
          Firefighter/EMT-B
          Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
          "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
          '99 F-150

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

I remember Tim Lingor (MOL member) running into tough as nails clear coat on a Volvo. He had a great write up on the old site.

Good to see you got 'er done
            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Hi Mike shane here sorry to ask the same question but i have been studying the forum for a few days now and need some clarity. my black x5 has a smooth finish and when in the sunlight or my security light at night i can see slight webs in a circular motion, not bad and surface only, i dont own a buffer and will be polishing by hand. should i use scratch x or deep crystal polish before i wax with nxt. i seem to be a little confused to which one to use. i want to do all of the car as to get a brilliant shine.

Comment

Originally posted by shane1610 View Post

should i use scratch x or deep crystal polish before i wax with NXT.

i seem to be a little confused to which one to use. i want to do all of the car as to get a brilliant shine.
                You want to use ScratchX as it has the ability to remove paint and the way you remove swirls is you remove enough paint to flatten out the surface until it's flat or level.

Please read through the below to threads, the first one explains that you can't just wipe a paint cleaner on and you have to work small sections at a time as polishing paint is an art form, not a merely a mechanical process.

Used ScratchX 2.0 and this was the outcome

This second one explains what you're trying to do

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

and remember, these two forums are your friends...

Hot Topics
                How To Articles

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by shane1610 View Post
                  Hi Mike shane here sorry to ask the same question but i have been studying the forum for a few days now and need some clarity. my black x5 has a smooth finish and when in the sunlight or my security light at night i can see slight webs in a circular motion, not bad and surface only, i dont own a buffer and will be polishing by hand. should i use scratch x or deep crystal polish before i wax with nxt. i seem to be a little confused to which one to use. i want to do all of the car as to get a brilliant shine.
                  ScratchX 2.0 would be your best bet to remove swirls.

Is your paint BMW Jet Black? If so, pay attention to the finish in your test spots as that paint can be very finicky and soft. You could also pick up some SwirlX which is less aggressive and start with that and see if it does the job for you.

Comment

Definitely do a Test Spot to one section before going over the entire car.

Meguiar's does a great job of bring out paint care products that are safe and can be used by a majority of people with average skill levels but the other side of that coin is some paints can be difficult to work on just because that's the nature of the beast, especially by hand.

So make sure the products, applicator pads and your skill and ability all combined can make one small section look good before going over the entire car.

And remember, the paint cleaning step isn't' the end result. We do our best to make our paint cleaners remove defects and make the paint look good, (that's two things), but the cleaning step isn't the last step and sometimes people's expectations are that black paint should look professionally waxed and wiped clean after using a paint cleaner and that's just not reality.

A paint cleaner is just one step in a multiple step process, in fact after washing and claying, (if needed), it's the first step, not the finishing step.

Keep us updated as to your progress...

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hi and thanks for your prompt reply, mark my car is a clearcoat over base, i used to be in car body repair but a car accident has left me with an ankle injury and so have to polish sitting down as well as a little standing. i understand the use of polishing and machine buffing but have only just started to use the megs products on my vehicle over the past year (and they're GREAT) but only the nxt. Thanks a lot i need all the help i can get, brill forum aswell.

Comment

do i have to clay my car before using the scratchx?

Comment

Originally posted by EcHo714 View Post
                          do i have to clay my car before using the scratchx?
                          Hi EcHo714,

One way to tell is to either run your hand over the car surface and/or to do the baggie test to feel for the smoothness or roughness of the surface. Mike demonstrates this in a video available here:
                          How to clay bar a vehicle. Hosted by Mike Phillips of Meguiar's.For the clay bar used in this video go here: http://goo.gl/cHLwW6

More videos can also be found here:

And, here's a related clay thread:

Especially note "the other pc" remark (#3 on page one):

*Edit:
                          Here's another thread with the "Polish or Clay" question:

Hope these links help clear things up!
                          End edit*

The short answer, is "it depends," but it is usually a good idea to clay before cleaning/polishing the paint as it decreases the chance of marring.

Others with more experience should also be along shortly to provide you with a more professional view.

Good luck,
                          volvie!
                          Last edited by volvie!; Jan 26, 2009, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                            ScratchX 2.0 would be your best bet to remove swirls.

You could also pick up some SwirlX which is less aggressive and start with that and see if it does the job for you.
                            Mark,

Were you comparing SwirlX to ScratchX 2.0?? I have a couple small scratches on my black genesis coupe, and I'm not sure whether or not to use SwirlX, ScratchX v1 or v2??

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');