• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

color sanding and taping off edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• color sanding and taping off edges

i am gettin ready to color sand a 1995 mustang. the paint was done in september. this will be my first time color sanding. would it be a good idea to tape off the sharp edges on the body panels and do them after the panel is done? i dont really want to sand too deep in these area like i did on the primer, which caused a bit more work.

Re: color sanding and taping off edges

Sure you can, better safe than sorry. My rule of thumb is to keep a margin of about 1/2 inch away from edges when sanding, the reason for this is you only want to sand where you can safely run the edge of your buffing pad and if you sand too close you'll be forced to run the buffing pad up to and onto the edge. That's where you run into danger.

Only sand where you can safely buff.

If you want to level the paint right up to the edge then sand close to the edge and then tape off about a half inch past the edge and use this as a guide for your buffing pad. After doing all the machine compounding and polishing remove the tape and then remove your sanding marks by hand with M105

That's a ton of work and a ton of time, so weigh out how important it is to have an orange-peel, dirt/defect free finish a half inch aways from all the edges. (Most customers won't pay for this kind of labor and time investment on your part but if it's you're own car then it's you're own time and investment)

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

man, you guys got the knowledge i am thankful for. it will be worth the time as it is my son's car. he put me in charge of finding him a car this summer while he was over in Iraq. the paint was pretty rough so i gave her ( Raquel) some new make-up. he hasn't seen the car in person yet and wont be home til the beginning of march. i think i'll spend the time... thanks again for the knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

if it's you're own car then it's you're own time and investment)

i plan do show car finish , and paint correction , my car is dark color, and luxury sedan , i want the car to be my image , to represent my work quality. on rear window will be the advertise , nothing on side , but i want to have a nice clear-mirror look finish on my car, can be done with sand paper and compound falllow by polish , glaze and seal/wax? now it looks kind of orange peal , i should go with 2500 or 3000 all away around ? and get an 105 with foam wool pad and remove the sand marks with rotary, fallow by g110 , m83 and 80 for final finish.
        i plan keep it garage after is done and for wash i will use foam tehnique ..
        Last edited by Cosmin; Mar 29, 2009, 05:04 PM. Reason: ed
        proreflection
        *Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');