• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rims polished lip clear peeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rims polished lip clear peeling

Rims the polished lip clear coat is peeling is there any way to fix it?? can I sand it off and polish it againg then clear it??
    http://www.nitrousworld.com/pictures/newlogo.jpg

I just did this to my 82 corvette. you can remove the clear coat either with some paint remover, or sand it off, I don't need to tell you which is faster. After the clear is gone, you need to sand them as smooth as you can with up to 400 grit paper, then step to steel wool, #0000 is good. then you need to get some buffing wheels and rouge to get the mirror look.

If you don't mind putting in a little time later, you can leave them uncoated. and just polysh them once or twice a year, with Meguiar's Metal Polysh. it will protect them, and keep them looking good.

You can also do the same as above, then clean them up with some finial wash,(paint prep) and re-clear.

If you after a show quality look then your best bet is to get them professionally polished, and re-cleared.

I have seen spectacular results from these guys, they will chrome them, but I don't know if they can do just the edges:
    http://www.wheelconcepts.com/Plating.htm
    Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
    08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
    98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
    82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

Here's a picture of my 82 vette rims. before/after.
      No clear coat,

Sorry for the poor photo quality...

Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
      08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
      98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
      82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');