• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help Using Porter 7424 w/lake side pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Using Porter 7424 w/lake side pads

I recently purchased a porter 7424 and recieved a bunch of cutting pads with this unit. Lake Side Orange/White/Blue/yellow pads.

I attempted to remove swirls from my clearcoat using Meguiars Swirl remover and now I have micro maring or slight hazing. I also tried ScratchX with the DA and it seemed to be even worse.

What combination pads/polishes should I be using to remove this swirls and light hazing?

I have a 2008 black Infiniti.

Re: Need Help Using Porter 7424 w/lake side pads

Hi Johnny, welcome to MOL.

Just an FYI I moved your post from How-To" into Detailing 101 because this is where questions belong. The How-To section is for moderators to place topics only.

Thanks for your understanding!

Mark

Comment

I don't use the Lake pads, but if you are using a Cutting Pad with a PC then that could be your problem.

Even though a cutting pad can remove swirls, when used with a PC this combination can haze the finish.

To remove the haze/sour use Meguiar's W8006/W8207 Polishing Pad or Meguiar's W9006/W9207 Finishing Pad to remove swirls and the haze.

Do a test spot with M09 Swirls Remover, evaluate the finish and if you like the results duplicate the process. If you don't because you can still see some swirls then you could move on with a more aggressive product (still using the Polishing Pads) like M80 Speed Glaze and then if you want you can follow this by M09 Swirl Remover for a perfect finish

Here is a thread that is about the same problem you are facing.
      Cutting Pads with the PC - Good idea?

Good luck
      Last edited by yalerd; Dec 26, 2008, 05:56 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyG37 View Post
        I attempted to remove swirls from my clearcoat using Meguiars Swirl remover and now I have micro maring or slight hazing.

I also tried ScratchX with the DA and it seemed to be even worse.
        Did you buff out the entire car or did you just do a test section to see how things look first?

Besides the product, the pad material also affects the process.

Which pad were you using?

Be sure to read the thread shared with you above and look at the pictures.

Before diving into a black car it's always a good idea to get some head knowledge first, before attempting to use your new polisher on your black car, first spend some time reading through this thread.

If you're moving up to machine polishing, be sure to read the below thread before starting...
        Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
        (These are all similar tools)

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          Did you buff out the entire car or did you just do a test section to see how things look first?

Besides the product, the pad material also affects the process.

Which pad were you using?

Be sure to read the thread shared with you above and look at the pictures.

Before diving into a black car it's always a good idea to get some head knowledge first, before attempting to use your new polisher on your black car, first spend some time reading through this thread.

If you're moving up to machine polishing, be sure to read the below thread before starting...
          Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
          (These are all similar tools)

I used swirl remover #9 with LakeSide Orange pad and attempted the same using ScratchX.

Steps used:
          Put Nickle size amount at center of pad
          Applied it to a test area that I taped off. I used three test areas.
          First spread Swirl R #9 at speed 3 and overlapped the areas followed by increasing speed to 5 and worked area for 3 to 4 minutes.

Swirls were gone, marring and slight hazing appeared clear coat no longer glass like.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyG37 View Post

I used swirl remover #9 with LakeSide Orange pad and attempted the same using ScratchX.
            Did you read this yet?

Cutting Pads with the PC - Is this a good idea?

Do a test spot and this time use the softer polishing pad with the ScratchX and see if this removes it.

Cutting pads tend to cause hazing. Hope you didn't buff out the entire car with the cutting pad.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');