• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Repair – Touch Up, Or Paint Complete Sections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Repair – Touch Up, Or Paint Complete Sections?

When buying a new car last month, we noticed a deep scratch on the rear bumper. The dealer said they had a paint repair person who came in on Thursdays, and to bring it back the following Thursday to have the scratch fixed.

After the repair, when the car was back home and we saw it in different light, the paint looked dull and didn’t seem to match. We waited a week and a hafl to clean the car, and to clay and wax the touched up area so it’d be in the same condition as the rest of the car. The end result is that the touched up area is dull and the color doesn’t match the rest of the car.

We took it to a local body shop, and their recommendation was to remove the bumper and repaint the whole piece. They say the paint will peel over time if it’s touched up piecemeal. They wanted nearly $600 to do the whole bumper repaint.

Before we call the dealership to tell them the work’s not done right, I’d like to know what we should ask them to do, or have done. Anybody have enough painting experience to make a suggestion?
    Laney
    '02 BMW K1200RS - 2 Wheels
    '08 VW New Beetle Convertible - 4 Wheels

Re: Paint Repair – Touch Up, Or Paint Complete Sections?

I spent 4years running a mobile bumper and interior repair route for one of my best friends and Dealers were our main customer base. A lot of dealers would not pay to have the bumper covers removed and fully repainted, they wanted it spotted in which after time will bleed or shadow back thru the repair at the blend lines. But when the customer was made aware of the diff. the Dealerships will pay to have it done correctly. Stick to your guns with them and they should make it right.

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
      Stick to your guns with them and they should make it right.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for your replies and information - the more we know, the better we can argue, if needed. It sounds like the touch-up way of painting doesn't hold up, and we need to push to have the bumper repainted completely in a qualified shop.

We bought one of last years '08s, and I don't know if they have another one on the lot. There are lots of the same car in So Cal, but I don't know if they'd go far enough to do a dealer trade. We financed through VW for 0% for 5 years so it might be a big disadvantage to start over with another car.

The more I look at the repair, the worse it looks. Now that it's cleaned and shined, the contrast with the original paint shows up much more, and since it stopped raining, I'm seeing it in the sun for the first time. Hope to get it fixed without much argument...
        Laney

Comment

If it was the dealerships fault, then they need to fix it. Put up a strong argument, report them to the BBB, do what you need to do. I wouldn't go in with threats - thats a quick way to get the cold shoulder.

I've been in similar situations and I am just up front with them.

You could file a lawsuit - but I wouldn't do that unless its absolutely necessary. In SoCal - chances are they cut you a check. I had an incident with a tow company damaging my oil cooler, I didn't notice it till a day after, they cut a check and didn't go to court.

It will cost the dealer near nothing to do it, as they get some pretty good discounts because they have contracts with other body shops.

Just talk to the manager - if he does good business, then chances are your word of mouth will help bring more business. And he'll probably feel that you'll come back later because they took care of you.

It's worth a shot.. best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by dhahlen View Post
            I wouldn't go in with threats - thats a quick way to get the cold shoulder.
            I wouldn't either - that's a last resort and hopefully completely unnecessary.

In SoCal - chances are they cut you a check. I had an incident with a tow company damaging my oil cooler, I didn't notice it till a day after, they cut a check and didn't go to court.
            That would be a great way to resolve it - I'm not sure I'd want to go to anyone they recommend for body work. I remember having an experience with a tow company dropping my bike, and they settled things the same way.

It's worth a shot.. best of luck.
            Thanks!

So far we've contacted the salesperson we worked with, and he's passing it on to the manager who's supposed to call on Monday. The difference in paint is so visible it shows up well in photographs. Nobody could argue that it's an opinion that it looks bad.
            Laney

Comment

I've been in similar situations and I am just up front with them.
              In a perfect world that would be the best approach, most of the horror stories posted on this forum have to do with swirls on BRAND NEW cars and the lack of help, understanding or compensation by the dealerships involved.

The root cause of the problem is probably untrained detailers working on scratch-sensitive clear coat finishes with poor quality products and tools and limited time allowance to do quality work. This is because dealerships don't put any resources into the detailing department and again, the results are swirled-out brand new cars.

Here's a great example,

Are holograms and buffer swirls the norm for a BRAND NEW BLACK CAR?

The problem for dealerships is because of the Internet in general and discussion forums in specific, consumers are becoming more educated on the paint finishes on new cars and as the thread above demonstrates once a person understands where the swirls came from, what it will take to remove them and the end-result being much thinner paint on their brand new car... they aren't accepting it.

But you're right, in a perfect world Laney should just be able to go to the dealership, show someone in charge the damage in good lighting and hopefully this person will agree that the repair isn't acceptable and do what it takes to make it right without any more help from Laney.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted as to how it turns out...

Also, keep in mind we have Saturday Classes coming up starting January 10th if you want to check out some of our new products for taking care of your brand new car.

2009 Saturday Class Schedule

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');