• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mobile Detailing Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Detailing Business

Greetings Everyone,
    I just wanted to pose this question to anybody in the know. Aside from bad financing.....What are the most common mistakes new business owners make within the first year of starting their business? Thanks everyone in advance for your time.

Staying Motivated,

JOHNNY

Re: Mobile Detailing Business

My personal experience is theres alot more to it than you think..
    Alot of people think it is very easy. A couple of grand on equipment, chemicals, T-Shirts, and your off making millions....

They have to actually know how to "detail" a car to run a succesful detailing business. Just because they are a salesman, or bought the most expensive custom detail rig, They don't know the right way to detail a car, and their work will show that.
    Just my 2 cents, and NO, I am not a sucesful mobile detailer (yet). I am a detailer that lets my customers know what I know and don't know.. What I can do and can't do...Learning more and more is key.. So is treating every customer with respect and patience.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

From years of reading posts to this forum and others, most, not all but most detailers tend to be better at the detailing segment of their business but not as strong on the business/paperwork side of their business.

Two of the best practices I've learned to put into practice from other successful detailers are to,

1) Put your customer on a maintenance program where you can bill them monthly. This gives you a known monthly income.

2) Get referrals. Friends trust friends, so getting your existing customers to recommend you to their friends is one of you best sources of advertising and getting pre-qualified customers.

I've only been through a portion of Renny's class and I could tell it would be a great investment in a future successful business. Here's a recent post of Renny's to this forum....

small aircraft detailing info?

Read Renny's reply and you can see he has lots of experieince....

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

In todays local paper. They had a article about this question. They were interviewing a mechanic. Here worked for someone else in his 20's, opened up his own shop in his 30's. Went back to being a shop owner in his 40's. He claims and I am paraphrasing here, That just because your hobby is your job and you really love what you do. that does not make you a businessman. To be a successful business man, he strongly suggest taking some business courses at your local college. He claims the second time around that has helped him more than any other advice he has ever received.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Good stuff ! Thanks.

Comment

If one was to bring the most notable detailers in the world all into one location...let's say 50 of the top performers who have performed on amazing vehicles...I would hope that my skills, training, practice and abilities would include me within that group.

I have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars and hours into building and marketing my detailing skills and talents nationally and internationally.

Yet...without a solid understand of business those skills would mean very little in reality. If you are a top rated detailer with little "real" business skills/knowledge, your chance of survival is slim.

On the other hand, if you understand the systems and processes of detailing and know what the average detailing consumer desires yet your skills are simply average yet your business savvy is extraordinary...this person will win both the business and financial security battle.

Now join in the passion and knowledge together and watch out...that is a detailing professional that will be among the best and most profitable combined.

Show Car Finish is a small part of retail detailing...consumer based detailing is where most businesses are made...and regretfully where most detailers fail. While I am addicted to shine...I am more so addicted to my families financial health and the health of our company while keeping our clients satisfied!

Many detailers detail to compete with others detailers...I detail to satisfy my clients desires...most desire that their car is clean, shinny and the interior is fresh and clean.

Most of those I mentor are business people first...detailers second. For some this works...for others they simply can not get over the addiction to shine and therefore "over perform" within their services which in turn means they under perform within the financial aspect of their business...the key is developing services that allow you to feed any detailing appetite.

One of my earlier mentors once told me..."I would rather buy a decent $15.00 steak for lunch then eat a free hot dog". What did he mean by that? He meant he would rather pay a little higher price for quality and get what he wants!

Know who your clients are and what they want and deliver that detailing product at a price that offers value to both you and your client!

Then duplicate your high level of service to each and every client and build a solid repeat and referral business within your business...those two items are key to any service business.

Sorry so long worded...I simply think its important that people know its not hard to learn how to detail...it takes time and education but building a detailing business that is "profitable" and successful is a challenge that is not secured by simply being a good detailer.

Want some interesting reading...read about Colonel Sanders; the Founder of KFC. What a great story about education and passion combined.

Thanks for the opportunity to share...
            Renny Doyle
            Attention To Details
            "Detailers of Air Force One"
            www.detailingsuccess.com

Comment

Originally posted by Renny Doyle View Post
              If one was to bring the most notable detailers in the world all into one location...let's say 50 of the top performers who have performed on amazing vehicles...I would hope that my skills, training, practice and abilities would include me within that group.

I have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars and hours into building and marketing my detailing skills and talents nationally and internationally.

Yet...without a solid understand of business those skills would mean very little in reality. If you are a top rated detailer with little "real" business skills/knowledge, your chance of survival is slim.

On the other hand, if you understand the systems and processes of detailing and know what the average detailing consumer desires yet your skills are simply average yet your business savvy is extraordinary...this person will when both the business and financial security battle.

Now join in the passion and knowledge together and watch out...that is a detailing professional that will be among the best and most profitable combined.

Show Car Finish is a small part of retail detailing...consumer based detailing is where most businesses are made...and regretfully where most detailers fail. While I am addicted to shine...I am more so addicted to my families financial health and the health of our company while keeping our clients satisfied!

Many detailers detail to compete with others detailers...I detail to satisfy my clients desires...most desire that their car is clean, shinny and the interior is fresh and clean.

Most of those I mentor are business people first...detailers second. For some this works...for others they simply can not get over the addiction to shine and therefore "over perform" within their services which in turn means they under perform within the financial aspect of their business...the key is developing services that allow you to feed any detailing appetite.

One of my earlier mentors once told me..."I would rather buy a decent $15.00 steak for lunch then eat a free hot dog". What did he mean by that? He meant he would rather pay a little higher price for quality and get what he wants!

Know who your clients are and what they want and deliver that detailing product at a price that offers value to both you and your client!

Then duplicate your high level of service to each and every client and build a solid repeat and referral business within your business...those two items are key to any service business.

Sorry so long worded...I simply think its important that people know its not hard to learn how to detail...it takes time and education but building a detailing business that is "profitable" and successful is a challenge that is not secured by simply being a good detailer.

Want some interesting reading...read about Colonel Sanders; the Founder of KFC. What a great story about education and passion combined.

Thanks for the opportunity to share...

Great thinking and that's a nice tip

Comment

Tagged with Starting Detailing Business

That means in the future this thread can be easily found by clicking on the words Starting Detailing Business in the The Popular Tags Box on the forum homepage.

Also moved to Detailing for Dollars

Great post Renny!

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

When it comes to your equipment........
                  Keep it simple.

When it comes to your customers.......
                  Qualify them on what they want and what their needs are. Not what YOU want to do.

You may want to polish the paint for hours where the customer wants you just use a one step on the paint. You have to ask........don't assume.

As far as advertising goes, just be proactive. Don't run an ad or put fliers on windows and just sit wait for the phone to ring. Dress nice and go to businesses. Ask for the owner and tell him or her what you do and that you want their business. Offer a package that brings their vehicle back to like new and then maintains it on a regular basis.
                  Two things happens with this.....
                  If the owner get his vehicle done, employees will follow.
                  If you show up often on a regular basis, customers of that business will see you and you can get their business. It's an awesome cycle. This is where and why I targeted doctors, lawyers, and dentists. They make money and they are usually in a good location for self and silent advertising.

Just learn the basics. If all you did was just wash, vacuums, and one step paint protections at 75.00 time 3 a day........that pretty good money!
                  www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Oh yeah........
                    Darn good post Mr. Doyle!
                    www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');