• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SoftBuff pads - how clean is clean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoftBuff pads - how clean is clean?

Recently I used a couple SoftBuff 2.0 pads to clean (ScratchX) and wax (NXT Tech Wax 2.0) a car. The pads were brand new so obviously they got dirty. I washed the ScratchX pad in the washing machine but even after that, it is still dark and has "ripples" in the center. It also smells HEAVILY like ScratchX. Is this good to go or should I do something else to really clean it thoroughly? I just don't want it to instill swirls in the next car that I do because it's going to be a black car. Thanks.
    -HealthyCivic
    Check out the glossary

Re: SoftBuff pads - how clean is clean?

After washing it in the washing machine it's clean enough to use again.

You're never going to get your pads to look brand new again after having used them and then washed them.

Don't make things more complicated then they need to be. Use you pads, wash and dry them when you're finished with them, store them in a clean, dry place till you're ready to use them again.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike!
      -HealthyCivic
      Check out the glossary

Comment

I've ran across the same thing myself. One thing I found that helps is to aggitate it with a brush before you stick it in the wash, or blow it out with some compressed air. Mainly you're just getting the big stuff out of the pad by doing this, then toss it in the wash and it looks a ton better. Not perfect but better.

Nick
        2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
        2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
        2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
        2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

For that matter, you can hold the pad under running water and with some soap squish the pad with your hands and this will act to work the soap into the pad and act to work the soap and product residue out of the pad.

Last time I checked, my washing machine doesn't have hands that come out during the wash cycle and do this squishing action.

Again, you can make the cleaning process as simple or complicated as you like, that's up to you and your expectations for how clean you want your pads and everything else you want to clean.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

On all of my Foam Applicator pads I run them under very hot water in the sink and squish them out and use Tide Detergent and rub it in by hand over and over. It makes them look good. The washing machine messes up my Microfiber Applicators.
            Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
              I've ran across the same thing myself. One thing I found that helps is to aggitate it with a brush before you stick it in the wash, or blow it out with some compressed air. Mainly you're just getting the big stuff out of the pad by doing this, then toss it in the wash and it looks a ton better. Not perfect but better.

Nick
              Thanks for the tip,Nick.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Last time I checked, my washing machine doesn't have hands that come out during the wash cycle and do this squishing action.
                Looks like it is time for an upgrade!

Comment

Man Mike, when I bought my new Maytag a few months back, it specifically said that Mike Phillips hands will come out during the wash cycle and squeeze all of the excess product from my 2.0 pads.
                  '05 Arctic Blue Pearl Acura TSX
                  '03 Silver Lexus RX 300

Comment

For that matter, you can hold the pad under running water and with some soap squish the pad with your hands and this will act to work the soap into the pad and act to work the soap and product residue out of the pad.

This is what I do, each time it works great

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');