• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i remove frozen ice from the paint on my car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i remove frozen ice from the paint on my car?

i live in chicago and my car is outside and it has thick frozen snow on the hood,vinyl top,and trunk and i dont want it to sit on the paint cause i know its bad for it. so what should i do? my neighbor told me to just use ur hands and pound on the hood and trunk and it will break apart because thats what he did and it did work.

Re: how do i remove frozen ice from the paint on my car?

Don't use a snow shovel, these should only be used for clearing sidewalks and such...

Seriously....

Any harm that snow is going to cause has probably already happened and in all my years of detailing cars I actually can't think of any time a customer came to me with a car and said,

Can you undo the damage the snow did to fill in the blank...

So if you want to get the snow off the car without touching the car then maybe try washing it off with water when it warms up?

We had quite a bit of snow fall here in the Mojave desert last Wednesday, and luckily the sun has returned and is doing a pretty good job of melting the snow off of the roads and our cars and trucks....

If the snow has stopped maybe just let nature follow it's course and melt off slowly. If it's going to continue to snow then this is going to be an ongoing issue and you'll need to find a long term solution such as a car cover or storage out of the elements of some kind?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

before this all came down on my car i got the car washed,clayed,polished,wax,and then the sealant all done at a professional shop so im hoping that will last me threw winter?

Comment

For the most part... that's' the most you can do... and in all of car history... it's usually enough... so take heart!

p.s.

Moving to Detailing 101

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

when do u think i should do the paint sealant again?

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          For the most part... that's' the most you can do... and in all of car history... it's usually enough... so take heart!

p.s.

Moving to Detailing 101

Comment

Originally posted by sidekicklxondeck View Post
            when do u think i should do the paint sealant again?
            When the snow clears and the weather permits

Comment

I usually just let it blow off(light snow) or pick it up and remove it before it slides off(ice).
              Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Snow Removal: Brush off the snow but leave a very very small layer. This way the brush never touches the paint. May be illegal in some places. Sometimes, even though the brush doesnt go all the way down to the paint, all the snow comes off in that area.

Ice Removal: Bang on it lightly with your fist or the brush so it breaks in smaller pieces. Pick up the individual pieces off the car so they dont slide, creating scratches.

Did this for 2 years and my '06 Civic is scratch less... other than what the dealership did to my paint with their free "detail"

Comment

I let all snow/ice melt on it's own.

Comment

You can use an ice scraper like my wife did a few years ago and destroy a mint factory paint job (I'm still trying to get the RIDS out and yes we are still married) or just take it to the local coin op and rinse the ice off. You run the risk of freezing your locks and doors so I would just let it melt on its own or wait until it hits about 35.

Comment

Ice and Snow not a problem for me I watch Tool Time.

Comment

I do not use a snow brush or an ice scraper.
                        I use the California Water Blade for the snow, and for the ice a minute deicer.
                        Joel
                        Firefighter/EMT-B
                        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                        '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by sidekicklxondeck View Post
                          i live in chicago and my car is outside and it has thick frozen snow on the hood,vinyl top,and trunk and i dont want it to sit on the paint cause i know its bad for it. so what should i do? my neighbor told me to just use ur hands and pound on the hood and trunk and it will break apart because thats what he did and it did work.
                          You can use hot water or steam.
                          AeroCleanse, LLC
                          Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                          www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Having snow on my car drives me nuts!! When people have their back window coverd and cant see behind them, snow piled up on their hoods and roof, I think that should be means of getting a ticket or something. Its dangerous and you are just asking for a accident. People like my self are forced to drive their pride and joy and dont want some dumbass to hit you that could have been avoided..

Anyway, My little pet peeves. But, I use a water blade to get most of the snow off. I park in the garage, so, most of if seems to melt overnight while park in the garage

2002 Yellow Chevy Monte Carlo SS
                            My Albums: http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/Johnson0667/

Comment

Where i live it stays -30C (-22F) for weeks and weeks at a time
                              It snows at least 3 good snow falls a week all horizontal surfaces i iced over.
                              I scrape my window and just brush the snow that can very easy be brushed off the surface without more than the weight of the snow brush.
                              My Motor melts the snow on my hood and for the rest they stay covered in ice till nature melts it or until i go and wash it and the warm water melts it i don't think there is much else to do.
                              Sparklin and shinin all the time

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');