• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to wash wax applicator pads and polishing cloths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to wash wax applicator pads and polishing cloths?

Maybe a dumb question, but one I have not found an answer to.

What is the best way to wash polish and wax applicators after there use?

What is the best way to clean Microfiber towels after use?

I use both hand applicators and machine applicators and would to clean them after each use.

Re: Mr. Boogie

My recommendation would be to wash the applicators in the washing machine with hot water, your favorite detergent and I even add some oxyclean, do not use fabric softener, and on the rinse cycle, I add a cup or two of white vinegar. You can use this same method with your microfiber towels, but wash them separately. You don't want to wash the mf towels with normal towels due to linting.

Use a dryer for the towels and I would air dry the applicators

Comment

First off, Welcome to MOL!!! As for hand applicators, machine wash is fine. Just make sure your soap doesn't have softeners in it. As for machine application pads, depending on manufacterers recomendations, you usually have to hand wash. (except for Meguiars new machine pads, I think soft buff 2.0)

Comment

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

There's actually a bunch of threads on this topic and maybe one or two in our Hot Topics forum group, hang on and let me take a look.

But it's definitely been discussed at length....

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Here you go... from our Hot Topics forum.

Washing Microfiber Polishing Cloths - Laundry

The thread is 5 pages long so chances are good everything you ever wanted to know about washing cloths and applicator pads is addressed in this thread.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Re: How to wash wax applicator pads and polishing cloths?

I made a thread just like this not too long ago where people recommended Dawn Power Dissolver/hand wash first and then throwing them into the machine wash. Worked for me.
            -HealthyCivic
            Check out the glossary

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Boogie View Post
              I use both hand applicators and machine applicators and would to clean them after each use.
              Meguiar's recently introduced a new series of machine foam pads that can be washed in a normal washing machine, click on the pictures for more information,

Washable 7" Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Pads

As for our other foam pads Meguiar's doesn't recommend washing them but here's two threads on the topic of how to clean foam buffing pads. Both of these threads can be found in our How To Articles forum.

How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads
              Cleaning Your Pad On The Fly

Here's Cisco from one of our recent Saturday Detailing Classes learning how to clean a pad on the fly

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Lot's of great nuggets of information can be found in the below forums...

Hot Topics
                How To Articles

And here's a list of some of our most popular threads...

List 'O Links 2.0

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I always pre-rinse my pads on site so nothing dries in them. This can be done in old wash water. When I get home, I rinse them out with warm water. I then use APC at 10:1 on them. I let them sit for about 15 minutes. Rinse out and I use only the spin cycle in my washer to get the water out. I let them air dry to finish off.

As for MF towels, keep them seperated. Glass towels don't go with interior dressing towels. The best detergent I've found for towels (and home) is Arm & Hammer's Concentrate. Inexpensive and cleans. I add 1/2 cup of non-dilute APC for a large wash.......less for smaller washes. I do this with warm water. I let them sit for about 10 minutes after they've washed for 5 minutes. I then let them finish. I dry on LOW heat........they may be damp when I get them out. That's ok with me. Dryer's high heat can kill a towel........I've learned the hard way.

These methods may seem extensive but I'm still using towels that are 3 years old.
                  Last edited by Justin Murphy; Dec 17, 2008, 01:44 PM.
                  www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Oh yeah,
                    The difference between using and not using APC in the wash is night and day.
                    My drying towels came back to life acting like new. I guess the APC removes any waxes and dirt that are binding the fibers together.
                    www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Never thought to try APC to do the towels. Will have to try this next time. Thanks for the tip.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                        Never thought to try APC to do the towels. Will have to try this next time. Thanks for the tip.
                        I'm telling you.....it makes them like new!
                        You might need to do a second rinse. Depends on your washer.
                        www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by justin30513 View Post
                          I'm telling you.....it makes them like new!
                          You might need to do a second rinse. Depends on your washer.
                          Thanks Justin,
                          I will have to give that a try next time as well...

Comment

I use an APC Booster Concentrate undiluted from time to time when needed and when my microfiber towels are super dirty or when they have a lot of wax buildup. But personally, Micro-Restore detergent is BY FAR the best thing I have ever used to make my microfibers clean and plush like they were when they were new. It is available at AutoGeek although I have been trying to get Rick to carry it at ADS.
                            '05 Arctic Blue Pearl Acura TSX
                            '03 Silver Lexus RX 300

Comment

I have three of the megs foam applicators and two of the megs MF applicators. The applicator that came with the NXT 2.0 paste usually stays in the tin. I always put it back in the tin when i'm done with it. I need to remember to wash that applicator, too!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');