• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New paint precautions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New paint precautions

Hello to you all

First post here, but I'm definitely not new to these forums - and since finding them some time ago my collection of car cleaning equipment has grown from a bucket, sponge & bottle of cheapo shampoo to a huge crate of cleaners, waxes, polishes and tools. Thanks alot guys... where I was once able to wash my car in about half an hour now takes at least half a day

Anyway, on to business -

My car is getting a full respray in January (under new car warranty) and I was wondering, will I have to take any special precautions with what product I use and how I use it on the new paint initially? Is there a "burn-in" period where you have to be a little more careful?

I guess I'm most worried about applying polishes and waxes. I was thinking of getting a G220 soon and was wondering how long (if at all) I would be best waiting before using it on the new paint.

Re: New paint precautions

You definitely don't want to put a paint sealant (wax) on the paint until at least 30 days after the new coat is applied. They should tell you this.

The solvents need to escape from the paint for it to cure properly and they can't do this when they are sealed in by a wax/paint sealant.
    Last edited by HealthyCivic; Dec 16, 2008, 08:19 PM.
    -HealthyCivic
    Check out the glossary

Comment

Welcome
      Do you know which paint mfg the shop will be using ?

Comment

Hello and welcome to mol.

I would wait at least 45 days before applying any wax. You can wash you car while the paint is curing. You could also apply a pure polish to the paint. #5, #7.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Let's start at the beginning and that's before the car is painted.

Before it gets painted maybe talk with the painter and ask them what they normally do after the paint is sprayed? As in are they going to sand and buff the paint or do they just paint it and return it to the owner.

There are two horror stories that are repeated on this forum and others over and over again and here they are,

1. The Dealership Horror Story
          Car is swirled out from the dealership either when they "Get it ready for sale" or when the owner returns to the dealership for some kind of work and the dealership does them the favor of washing or buffing out the car and giving the owner the Dealer Installed Swirl Option. (DISO)

2. The Bodyshop Horror Story
          Car is taken to body shop to either be completely painted or only portions painted; after the paint work the car or the newley painted panels are sanded and buffed or sometimes just buffed and the the car is given the Bodyshop Installed Swirl Option. (BIS0)

Then the owner of either horror story goes through the frustration of trying to understand and learn what has happened to their car and why and often times end up here on MOL or some other forum looking for help.

So instead of trying to undo potential future swirls, before you let the bodyshop have the car ask them what they normally do for a paint job and if their normal procedure includes either sanding and buffing or just buffing.

You can have the best painter, the best paint and get the worlds best paint job but it's what they do after the car is painted that makes or breaks the paint job. In other words, its how they and and buff the fresh paint the determines the end-result, not the painting process itself unless the painter is so good, and his painting process is so dialed-in that perfect finishes are turned out as a normal part of their business. (Usually the exception, not the rule).

After the above and you get your car back home, for the first 30 days or whatever your painter recommends, do your best to pamper the paint and if possible park the car under cover as much as you can. Either leave the paint alone or wash with a quality non-detergent wash and apply a pure polish like our Deep Crystal Polish, M07 Show Car Glaze or M81 Hand Polish until you're past the recommended curing/drying time and then apply your favorite wax or paint sealant.

Do you have to put the car back into service immediately?

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Because the whole job is being performed under warranty, I haven't had any contact with the shop that will be doing the work (and in fact don't know who it is either).

The issue with the factory paint effected a large number of vehicles and it's apparently the 8th one to be processed through my dealer. I've been assured that on the previous claims, they've been happy with the job carried out by the same shop. I can only take them at their word, and I don't have much choice in the matter anyway.

Mike, the car is my daily driver so yes, it will be returned to the road the instant I get it back.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');