• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other Hobbies? - gb387 Saltwater Fish/reef for me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Hobbies? - gb387 Saltwater Fish/reef for me...

Just seeing what other hobbies are out there on MOL. I have had a saltwater tank for about a year now (90 gallon 'wave front'). I bought the tank complete with fish, rock and sand off craigslist for a great price, I had some experience prior to this purchase. It was up and going good for me and at the end of September it lost power for 3 days while I was on vacation, I lost almost all my fish and some corals, now I am getting it back up and going have replaced many of the corals with smaller ones but in time they will grow. Still have not replaced my fish, still not sure the direction I want to go on the fish... too many to choose from.

Its nothing too special but its a start for me, I don't live anywhere close to the ocean so I thought I would bring a small part of the ocean to my house.

Right now its a mix of coral as I am not too sure where I want to go with it... I plan on upgrading to a larger tank in the near future and adding more 'toys' and finding the direction I want to go with the coral.

The photos are off Google, I hope they work -

I am no good at photos, the colors are much brighter in person.... For the fish people, yes there are two different types of clown fish in the tank. Funny thing is the two clowns get along better than anyother fish in the tank.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by gb387; Dec 5, 2008, 08:07 PM.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Re: Other Hobbies? - gb387 Saltwater Fish/reef for me...

Nice.Looks like mainly lps and softies.I just sold my 175gal bowfront this year.An end to a sixteen year hobby.

Comment

Nice looking tank, but IMO, there is not enough corals to fill out the tank I'm also out of this hobby for few years already. Too much money!
      "Huu duyen thien ly nang tuong ngo,
      Vo duyen doi dien bat tuong phung."

Comment

I just have a fresh water with 4 or 5 lonely fish swimming aorund.... I could use some more color like that.

Among other ways to kill time and money, I go for model railroading myself. Here is what my Dad and I put together in their basement last year, and it is still up now for this year as well.

I tried to size the pics down a bit.. hopefully they arent too small.

Thanks for viewing....
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Brandon, that is a awesome tank you have. Its a real beauty with all the coral in there.

Murr nice set up.

I am jealous of you guys. I have always wanted to get a good tank, but for a variety of reasons, never pulled the trigger. As for the trains, It is a special interest of mine. But since we moved the new place does not have the room for the hobby. Grew up around trains all my life. My grandfather worked for the Illinois Central railroad for 52 years. Started in the 8 th grade. Never looked for another company to work fo. Retired at the age of 66. He always had stories to tell.

Nice hobbies guys. great work.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

I have always found trains interesting just never had the room to do ant layout worth while. Very nice, there is some cool stuff in the train world!!

Thanks for the compliments, this tank is a work in progress, I keep adding more 'base rock' about once a month in an effort to get enough rock going for a 120 gallon tank. I have learned a lot with this tank and have found the limitations to this particular tank, no overflows, stand with NO storage or room for a sump, I can build my own stand but the wave front makes things a little more complicated and just above my woodworking skills.
            Brandon

Comment

Jim
              My Gallery

Comment

Here's some of mine...

Last edited by sstg; Dec 6, 2008, 09:49 AM.

Comment

And a couple of the fish...

Comment

Wow, a lot of fish tank people here. Never would have thought it.

One of my main hobbies right now is offroading in the Liberty. With gas prices down, you can't beat a weekend with friends out in the desert just exploring around. My dad and I try to set at least one weekend a month go out offroading and sometimes we go more often.

It's really interesting to go to the places a lot of people can't or just don't and see what there is. On Veteran's day we went down into a smugglers cave and a old mine and accidently crossed over into Mexico. There is so much land that freeways just go through and there are tons of trails off them that go to some really cool places.

That's my main hobby but I have a couple other little ones.

Ryan
                    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

I agree Ryan - didn't think there would be any other fish people... Anyway nice tanks guys!! Someday, I will be there!

Ryan - I would guess you have never went of roading for less! I miss my Lightning in these low gas prices, not that I would take it off road but I could get there fast!!
                      Brandon

Comment

I have many hobbies. My first other hobby besides detailing is car restoration with my Bird. But to just have fun I play air soft. I just bought a new gun aftermath Kirenex M4 replica 1:1 scale 380 FPS with .20gram BB's. I have pics but I will not post them because they may break the forum rules. so anyways thats mainly what I do. Oh and I like model trains my dad and I set our LGB up once and a while.
                        Alex
                        1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                        1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                        1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

I like wrenching on my old truck but been too broke for that.

My dad gave me his old reloading stuff and enough dies and what not to reload from 22-250 to some big stuff (sorry mind went blank). I need to build a bench of somekind and get my stepson involved so he can get some 30.06 ammo loaded up for his gun. He's a pretty good shot and was funny to watch him shoot that big boy the first time. Big eyes!

Beautiful Tanks you guys have,

Murr, that is a great train display, best I've seen. Very nice. I had some trains but my mom doesn't know where they went I used to like them too but had nothing like you have.
                          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Its acutaully just 8'x8', with 2 basic loops... nothing too fancy really. Just collecting my dad collecting scenery items for 30 years really is what adds to it. We have really tried being a lot more realistic the last few years. (We usualy take the layout down and change it every year.)

Its a shame they have made it quite expensive to get started in these days, they have kind of taken away the decent entery level products.
                            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

That is the hard part of hobbies. It is the initial start up costs. Once you get over that, the hobbies are really not that bad. At least that is what seems to be my problem. lol.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');