• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing Lacquer Paint on 87 GM car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing Lacquer Paint on 87 GM car

Greetings,

I have an 87 Buick Grand National that is coated entirely in Black Lacquer from the factory. She has been garaged over the years and shows no signs of cracking, pitting, or other major issues. Aside from a few swirls and some very lite surface scratches, she shines like new. But, she needs to be restored to showroom quality...

I am afraid to damaged the existing surfaces with too heavy of a polish or wax and desperately need some advice. I have heard that too much rubbing with cleaner waxes will actually remove paint and cause more harm than good.

Anyone?

Re: Detailing Lacquer Paint on 87 GM car

Welcome to MOL

There is truth to the statement that "too much rubbing" can in theory cause harm, but in reality it is definitely not something to be concerned with if you're using cleaner waxes. Cleaner waxes are typically mostly solvent/chemical based, with very minimal physical abrading qualities that remove very small amounts of paint.

This is normal! Think of it like removing dead, dry skin and revealing fresh, healthy skin underneath. Obviously, in both contexts you will need to remove some of the unwanted stuff, but in both cases you also want to pay attention to how much you remove. Consider a cleaner wax like those "DIY" self-applied micro-dermabrasion products you can buy at Target- they make your skin smooth, but don't do harm if used within reason.

I noticed you are in San Diego, as I am, and if you want I could possibly meet up with you sometime and give you my *personal* opinion (Not an official Meguiar's diagnosis) about what process would be the safest and best for you.

Or, post up some pictures and we can help you from here

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by sd-slider View Post
      Aside from a few swirls and some very lite surface scratches, she shines like new. But, she needs to be restored to showroom quality...

I am afraid to damaged the existing surfaces with too heavy of a polish or wax and desperately need some advice.
      Two things, Meguiar's offers plenty of very gentle products for just your concern... for over 100 years Meguiar's has been teaching people,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

The entire idea behind that philosophy is that by using the least aggressive product and even process to get the job done you reach your goal, (showroom quality), while leaving the most paint on the car.

Note that in order to remove swirls you will need to remove some measure of paint because the way you remove swirls is to level the surface with the lowest depth of the deepest swirls and scratches.

For more info on this idea check out this thread which is one of over a hundred great threads found in our Hot Topics forum.

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

Now a question? Are you working by hand or machine. The best looking finishes are always produced by machine contrary to some people's belief. The human hand is 4 fingers pushing down on some kind of applicator pad while a machine like our G110 Dual Action Polisher applies equal pressure over the entire surface of a foam pad and with the right chemical and technique you can truly create a show car finish.

That said, we have some great product right now and some great new products coming out for 2009

So let us know how you do your work and we can better tell you the safest approach to reach your goal.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Another question...

Just to double check and make sure, when you work on your car's paint do you see black pigment coming off onto your applicator pad?

Like the blue paint coming off this 1941 Ford!

The below is taken from this recent class at Meguiar's

Over the Hill Gang - Pictures & Comments - October 4th, 2008

We learn Hand Techniques to insure everyone knows what to do when working by hand.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

That sounds like a sweet car! If that's single stage paint and I was working on it, I would suggest something rich in polishing oils, such as 80, then maybe even followed up by a pure polish such as 7, then wax/sealant, it would look amazing!

Comment

A couple pics:

Comment

Looks pretty decent. I could see some minor stuff that could use some polishing.

I'll let Mike Phillips give you his personal choice of products, as he knows better than any of us!

Comment

I've buffed a few of these out in my life and all the ones I've worked on had single stage paint.

If you're working by hand, pick up some soft foam wax applicator pads and some #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 and work this product over about a 16" square section like you're applying skin lotion to your skin and after working it for about a minute wipe the residue off and continue doing this until you go around the entire car. Then apply a coat of #7 and #26

The "Work Step" is applying the #9, this is where you'll remove the swirls. If you do this step successfully then applying the #7 and #26 will be easy as you won't need to work these products, just apply gently but thoroughly and for the #7 wipe it off immediately and for the #26 you let it dry completely before wiping it off.

Above all else, do a TEST SPOT with the #9 and make sure you're removing the swirls to your satisfaction before going over the entire car. If it's not aggressive enough then you'll need top get something more aggressive.

#9 is VERY GENTLE and because you let us know you've very concerned about being careful this would be the least aggressive approach to start with and TEST with. Again, if it's not aggressive enough to meet your goals then we can move to something that is still gentle but more aggressive.

Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner or ScratchX are to very gentle cleaners that are move aggressive than #9 when all 3 are applied with a foam applicator pad by hand. (The idea of all things being equal).

Be careful on hard body lines as black single stage paint is usually the softest paint there is and you don't want to rub through to primer as paint is usually thinnest on raised body lines.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I've had the good fortune to have worked on a lot of original and antique single stage paints in my life. I'm hand rubbing this 1938 Packard this coming Saturday.

It's not this actual car, this is just what a 1938 Packard looks like, I have not seen the car I'm working on yet.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Can't say enough about this forum...

Hot Topics

There's 4 pages with 30 threads on a page... something for EVERYONE!

Here's one that's important to know and understand when working with a variety of paint care products...

Which products need to dry before removing?

Logging out... have to go work on a car today...

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

You have a great looking car there.

Hello and welcome to mol.

Follow Mike's suggestions and your car will look great! Good Luck.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');