• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratches on Gauge glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches on Gauge glass

Does anyone have any recommendations for removing the fine scratches from my gauge glass?

Thanks
    Lee

Hello Darkhorse!

Before I answer, let me confirm that you're referring to your instrument cluster 'glass'?

Also, is this material 'glass' or is it a plastic or plexiglass type of material?

I'll look forward to hearing back from you!

-RP-
    -The Final Detail-
    Lagrange, Kentucky
    thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

This product work's great on plastic.

Comment

Hello RP,
        I was not too clear in my original post, sorry. It is indeed the the gauge cluster and it is plastic. Again, I apologize for being vague.
        Lee

Comment

Plastx all the way. It worked great for my instrument panel. There were light scratches in the plexiglass. Removed them with no problem!

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorse
            Hello RP,
            I was not too clear in my original post, sorry. It is indeed the the gauge cluster and it is plastic. Again, I apologize for being vague.
            No problem darkhorse. I just wanted to make sure that I gave you the right advice rather than just assuming I knew what you were talking about. I kind of figured that you were talking about a plastic cluster but, I wanted to make sure.

As has been mentioned by a couple of folks, Meguiar's Plastx is an EXCELLENT product at removing light scratches and scuffs in plastic. It utilizes microscopic diminishing abrasives technology which is the key component to many of Meguiar's top of the line automotive paint polishes.

I've utilized this product on headlight lenses, instrument clusters, and several other clear plastic parts that needed polishing with nothing short of stellar results!

Hope this helps out a bit!

-RP-
            -The Final Detail-
            Lagrange, Kentucky

Comment

I'll second and back up what Rockpick and rdarwa have posted and add a little something too...

PlastX contains a microscopic diminishing abrasive that enables it to clean plastic and remove fine scratches without instilling any scratches of it's own. Be sure to apply with a clean, soft foam wax applicator pad.

You can pretty much follow the directions used for applying ScratchX in the below how to article,

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

After you have cleaned the plastic and removed any defects you can leave it at that, or if you want to take your results to an even higher level, apply a thin coating of Meguiar's Plastic Polish.

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish

Meguiar's M-10 Plastic Polish is a pure polish that restores optical clarity and an anti-static finish to all plastic surfaces. It's a good extra step product to follow the PlastX product with.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

PlastX is the way to go. Take a look at this before and after..

Good luck and post some pics if you can!!

Comment

Originally posted by scrub
                  PlastX is the way to go. Take a look at this before and after..

Good luck and post some pics if you can!!

WoW!!!! Excellent post scrub!!! Very impressive work!

That goes to show what great products, coupled with great techniques, can do!! Killer work!

RP
                  -The Final Detail-
                  Lagrange, Kentucky

Comment

Thanks

Rockpick---->Thanks for the props. All I can say is the product works...Well! Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');