• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keepng black trim black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keepng black trim black?

Greetings,

Let me start by introducing myself, I am Chris from Maryland, I run a Charter boat on the Chesapeake Bay and have been a user and huge fan of Meguiar’s products for years. They are hands down best fiberglass products I have found.

I have been looking around here for a couple of days now and can’t get a really good feel for the right product and or technique for what I am looking to do….

Here is the question; I just bought a new Jeep, a yellow Wrangler with a black soft top, and black fenders. I have two Jeep Liberty’s a 05 and a 06, the wife and daughters. They have the same fenders that are on the Wrangler and have almost faded white! I don’t want this to happen to my new truck! I used to coat almost the whole Liberty with ArmorAll, even under the hood, let it soak in and then wash off what didn’t soak in. While it did ok on the rubber, it clearly wasn’t the right choice for the fenders.

The black on yellow on this new Jeep really looks sharp and I want to keep it looking that way for years. What should I use? Is there something I can spray on let soak in and then wash off the over spray? Is the ASD Solvent based the stuff the right stuff? Gold Class Vinyl/ Rubber Protectant? Hyper Dressing, A combination?

Help!

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

Re: Keepng black trim black?

Originally posted by CaptainChris View Post
    I have been looking around here for a couple of days now and can’t get a really good feel for the right product and or technique for what I am looking to do….
    That's what we're here for...

Here is the question; I just bought a new Jeep, a yellow Wrangler with a black soft top, and black fenders. I have two Jeep Liberty’s a 05 and a 06, the wife and daughters. They have the same fenders that are on the Wrangler and have almost faded white! I don’t want this to happen to my new truck! I used to coat almost the whole Liberty with ArmorAll, even under the hood, let it soak in and then wash off what didn’t soak in. While it did ok on the rubber, it clearly wasn’t the right choice for the fenders.
    About the only thing you can do is to keep up on the maintenance of the black plastic trim with a quality dressing. The sun is the worst enemy to plastic trim so if at all possible keep the Jeep out of the sun.

The black on yellow on this new Jeep really looks sharp and I want to keep it looking that way for years. What should I use? Is there something I can spray on let soak in and then wash off the over spray? Is the ASD Solvent based the stuff the right stuff? Gold Class Vinyl/ Rubber Protectant? Hyper Dressing, A combination?
    As for a dressing for plastic and rubber, check this one out...

G10810 Gold Class Trim Detailer

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just to note, the problem with plastic fading is a problem for a lot of people, it's just the downside of this kind of trim. Some people will actually have their trim painted just to avoid the hassle of trying to keep the plastic looking good. So that's an option but if you're interested in it then should look into it before you start applying any kind of dressing.

The problem with finding a product that lasts is that plastic doesn't absorb very well so everything you apply is pretty much topical, that means its sitting on top of the surface and will tend to wash and wear off. For this reason you need to practice regular maintenance and the important part of regular maintenance is finding a product you like and using it often. How often depends upon how the Jeep is used and the environment the Jeep is exposed to and how often you wash the Jeep.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Gold Class Trim Detailer is your friend.

My Dodge Neon soaks it up nicely. All Season Dressing (Detailer Line) works well also.

Seen as Dodge and Jeep share some stuff, it may work well for you too!

Have fun.

And to MOL
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

The Gold Class or the All-Season are definately top of the list.

Dont just spray it on....

Get it on a cloth and wipe it around, then wait about 5 minutes, and buff off excess.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The trim detailer is fantastic for faded plastic that is in fair condition. 0000 Steel wool works great for bringing back badly damaged plastic trim. Try on an area that cannot be seen first to make sure it works for you, but I have had very good luck with it.

Comment

I agree with everyone else the Gold Class Trim Detailer is some good stuff. The only trim I have is around my wipers and I apply the stuff every other month or so and they stay looking nice for a decent amount of time.

I would imagine that with fenders they might get more dirt and need re-applying, but I can't imagine you would have to re-apply too often.
              "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

I like using the All Season for exterior trim. Works great and lasts a long time.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Just realized this thread was posted to our "Hot Topics" forum.

It's been moved to Detailing 101. Please don't post new threads to any of the forums in the "Information Station"

We know it's common for people to think their topic is hot but we either move threads to Information Station forums or we create them in these sub-forums when they are deemed "hot".

Thank you!
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

My flares were almost totally white and when I ran my fingernail over them it would remove some of the white. So I bought a 4 pack of magic erasers and used alot of soap and water just lightly rubbing until all the white was gone and then applied a good dressing.

Now just once or twice a year I touch them up with an eraser.

Its below freezing out otherwise I would post a before and after
                    01 Tacoma 4x4 X/C V6 Imperial Jade

"Oh, oh Marty, here's you keys. You're all waxed up, ready for tonight"
                    Biff Tannen

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');