• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trigger Wash aka Quik Detailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger Wash aka Quik Detailer

Trigger Wash

In 1981 Meguiar's introduced Trigger Wash as a new product for removing light dust, fingerprints and smudges in-between regular washing and waxing. The idea behind this new product was to provide enthusiasts with a quick and easy way to maintain their car's finish by simply misting the product onto the paint, spreading it around and then wiping the residue off to give their car that just detailed look.

The introduction of Trigger Wash created a new product category in the auto appearance market as it was the first product of its kind.

I spoke with Dick Koeth, one of Meguiar's oldest full time employees, and he shared with me that before Trigger Wash was introduced, Barry Meguiar would educate people on the 4-Step Paint Care Cycle because before Trigger Wash was introduced there were no products like it so there was no Maintenance Step after Step 4 Protection and in place of Step 1 Washing, which is a normal style car wash using a bucket of soap with a car wash mitt.

After Trigger Wash was introduced, not only was a new product category created and introduced to the consumer market, but a new step was added to the 4-Step Paint Care Cycle which then became the 5-Step Paint Care Cycle, which Meguiar's has been using since 1981 to educate people on the proper order of steps for maintaining the appearance of their vehicles.

Later the name Trigger Wash was dropped and and the name was changed to Quik Detailer, which is a part of Meguiar's family of "Quik" products, note the spelling of Quik.

Quik Detailer
    Ultimate Quik Detailer
    Ultimate Quik Wax
    Quik Interior Detailer Spray
    Quik Interior Detailer Wipes
    Quik Wheel Detailer

Since the name change to Quik Detailer and the subsequent overwhelming popularity of this product, knock-offs by other companies have been introduced and this category of product is now referred to generically as quick detailers or mist and wipe products. (Note the spelling of the generic use of the word quick to define products in this category).

As they say... the rest is history...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: Trigger Wash aka Quik Detailer

Meguiars
    Last edited by asim_296; Nov 14, 2008, 05:46 PM.

Comment

That's awesome. Always fun to read about the history of cool stuff.
      -HealthyCivic
      Check out the glossary

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyCivic View Post
        That's awesome. Always fun to read about the history of cool stuff.
        It is fun to see the old stuff. I look on eBay all the time.
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

huh... interesting. Never knew, didn't realize a Quik Detailer has been around that long, I was thinking more the 90's introduction.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

looks like the cover to an old horror movie

Comment

I used to use that stuff all the time!

Comment

Very cool. Interesting piece of car care history.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by miahjohn View Post
                  looks like the cover to an old horror movie
                  lol it does.
                  '06 Honda Civic LX Coupe "Galaxy Gray"

Comment

Awesome post man! I love looking at the older bottles.

Comment

Me too, these old bottles are MONSTER EPIC.
                      Strader327

Professional photographer and owner of STRADER Motorsports Photography

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strad...41121349262327

Comment

Im not wanting to start something, but wasent there a product called Magic Mist made by Car Groom. It may have been a spray wax and not a QD. Years ago you couldnt get Meguiars products in Chicago , but you could get Car Groom which was made in Chicago on Archer Ave.They made very good products but were sold to a Plastic company. I dont think there made anymore. They coined a phrase "The cosmetic for cars". You could only get there products at a store that sold auto paint.

Comment

Say I just thought up another "smell" question of mine. Nearly everyone here is saying that the trigger wash is one and the same as MEGS quick detailer, I was curious if they both smell the same? The MEGS quick detailer (the regular quick detailer not the ultimate detailer) smells a lot like cotton candy to me. Mmmmm.....
                          Strader327

Professional photographer and owner of STRADER Motorsports Photography

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strad...41121349262327

Comment

Originally posted by strader327 View Post
                            Say I just thought up another "smell" question of mine. Nearly everyone here is saying that the trigger wash is one and the same as MEGS quick detailer, I was curious if they both smell the same? The MEGS quick detailer (the regular quick detailer not the ultimate detailer) smells a lot like cotton candy to me. Mmmmm.....

Oh boy, 5:30 in the morning and I'm smelling QD...LOL

Respectfully, I disagree. It does have a 'perfume' smell, but can't get the Cotton candy out of it.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');