• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing chrome and alloy wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing chrome and alloy wheels

My car has intricate chrome-plated wheels that are a pain to keep clean. I recently used #80 and NXT II to detail my cars/truck with excellent results. Now, I would like to apply some #80 to the chrome wheels to clean them up and ploish them.

My question is does Meguiar's sell an applicator like the Mother's Power Ball (or a mini in this case) that can be used with a dril to polish small/intricate chromed wheel details?

Re: Polishing chrome and alloy wheels

To anwser your question, Meguiars dose not make a power ball type applicator. But the Mothers power ball works great with meguiars chrome and Hot Mag and Aluminum polish. I use it all the time for chrome on my T-Bird.
    Alex
    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Depending upon how intricate the design of your wheels are you might look into getting a Dremmel with some small felt polishing tips.

For the reasons you listed, I'm personally a big fan of easy to clean designs and it's a major criteria for picking out a custom wheel, that is instead of think about how cool a wheel look, it's how easy will it be to clean?

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If the places you are trying reach are too small even the Mother’s mini won’t do much good. I agree with Mike’s suggestion and look and see what Dremmel has to offer. For the other areas go with the Mother’s Mini Polishing Ball and some Hot Rims Chrome Polish.

I use three different polishing balls..... A wool ball from ADS, the Flitz polishing ball and the Mother’s polishing ball.

The Wool Ball with Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum Polish is great on non-coated aluminum as it has more cut/bite than the others. The Flitz Polishing Ball falls some where in the middle of the three, a very good all around polishing ball. And I find the Mother’s Polishing Ball to do a really good final polish and good on chrome.

Here’s a picture of one of each...... with the good stuff.

Last edited by TXShine; Nov 13, 2008, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          Depending upon how intricate the design of your wheels are you might look into getting a Dremmel with some small felt polishing tips.

For the reasons you listed, I'm personally a big fan of easy to clean designs and it's a major criteria for picking out a custom wheel, that is instead of think about how cool a wheel look, it's how easy will it be to clean?

Thank you for your comments ... and yes, I agree. My SC400 has stock wheels that are a PITA to keep clean and ploished. I would get a new set of wheel but I want to stay stock.

Comment

Originally posted by TXShine View Post
            If the places you are trying reach are too small even the Mother’s mini won’t do much good. I agree with Mike’s suggestion and look and see what Dremmel has to offer. For the other areas go with the Mother’s Mini Polishing Ball and some Hot Rims Chrome Polish.

I use three different polishing balls..... A wool ball from ADS, the Flitz polishing ball and the Mother’s polishing ball.

The Wool Ball with Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum Polish is great on non-coated aluminum as it has more cut/bite than the others. The Flitz Polishing Ball falls some where in the middle of the three, a very good all around polishing ball. And I find the Mother’s Polishing Ball to do a really good final polish and good on chrome.

Here’s a picture of one of each...... with the good stuff.

Hey TX... where did you get that ADS Wool Ball?! My google searches come up empty.

Comment

Originally posted by WaWaZat View Post
              Hey TX... where did you get that ADS Wool Ball?! My google searches come up empty.
              ADS refers to www.AutoDetailingSolutions.com

ADS is one of the more well known and highly revered vendors of Meguiar's detailing products.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');