• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 days wait to wax after fresh paint job?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 days wait to wax after fresh paint job?????

hello all, just wanted to know, what if I didn't wait the 30 days after a fresh paint job on my car and I waxed it with NXT 2.0. will it finely scratch the clear coat? can I clay, 83, 80, 7, and NXT 2.0 to remove it later down the road?

Re: 30 days wait to wax after fresh paint job?????

NXT won't scratch paint just because it's fresh.

NXT is non-abrasive.

Besides the chemicals you touch paint with you also have to be sure any and all materials you touch paint with are clean, soft and of high quality, that would include your wax applicator pads, machine buffing pads and your wiping cloths.

There is not a single paint manufacture that recommends sealing fresh paint until at least 30 days have passed just to note.

What did you just get a new paint job on?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

A friend of mine that does body work tells me the problem is not scratching the paint, but actually trapping the solvents that may still be escaping the paint. In some cases, this may even cause the new paint to lift and you won't be happy about that. Also, the people that applied the paint won't be interested in doing it over for no cost. It would be because of your mess up, not their's.
      He recommends waiting 30 days before waxing or sealing a new paint job.
      He also says that while several products could be used without a problem, just leave it alone for a month. It isn't going to get that much damage from the elements in 30 days.
      Charles
      The Rainmaker

Comment

can I use ColorX? will that wax still affect the drying/curing process? its been a week now and I'm tired of looking at the holograms and horrid swirls that the body shop left on my car..... I just want to fill it in to hide it untill I get a full detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear View Post
          can I use ColorX? will that wax still affect the drying/curing process? its been a week now and I'm tired of looking at the holograms and horrid swirls that the body shop left on my car..... I just want to fill it in to hide it untill I get a full detail.
          Short answer, no.
          ColorX will seal in the paint solvents which is what you are trying to avoid.
          Charles
          The Rainmaker

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesW View Post
            A friend of mine that does body work tells me the problem is not scratching the paint, but actually trapping the solvents that may still be escaping the paint.
            This is correct and here's an in-depth article on the topic...

Paint Needs to Breathe

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

can I use ColorX? will that wax still affect the drying/curing process? its been a week now and I'm tired of looking at the holograms and horrid swirls that the body shop left on my car..... I just want to fill it in to hide it until I get a full detail.
              Hand apply a pure polish, any of our pure polishes are 100% safe for fresh paint, in fact M03, m05, M07 and M81 are in our "Body Shop Line", as in formulated for use on fresh paint.

Invest in a G110 and use M80 Speed Glaze, (safe for fresh paint), to remove them.

If you opt to mask them with a pure polish you'll still need to remove them in the future and you can wait till our new Ultimate Compound or ScratchX 2.0 come out and use either of these by hand or machine to remove them.

It's too bad you can't trust the body shop who hacked up your paint to fix the problem but the truth is if they couldn't do it right the first time they won't be able to do it right the second time unless they get on this forum and educate themselves on how to do professional quality work instead of hack production work.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hello, Since I can't use ColorX and NXT 2.0 on my freshly painted car, Can I do my full Detail using in order,

1. Clay
                2. M83
                3. M80
                4. M7

so I'm skipping the Last Step Product (LSP) here, is this a ok process.

and then I'll just wait the 30day paint curing process, after the 30 days, I'll apply LSP (NXT 2.0).

The reason I want to Clay, 83, 80, M7 is b/c I hate the swirls/holograms that the body shop left on my car
                and this process I believe is the best way to take out the swirls/holograms by myself.......
                Last edited by Nuclear; Nov 16, 2008, 04:50 PM.

Comment

I've just been reading on this forum, sooo helpful!

from what I've read,
                  CLAY
                  M80
                  M7

The above three are not paint sealants, thus it will allow more gases to exhale from the fresh paint to cure.
                  I will use these three up above for my detailing.

now my questions,
                  is it ok to use M83 since its more abrave than M80? not a sealant right?

also, since I wont be using my LSP (NXT 2.0), may I use something rather lighter wax such is NXT Spray Wax??????
                  what can i use as a Last step that wont seal my paint pores so that it can cure within' the 30 days that I'm waiting.
                  Last edited by Nuclear; Nov 16, 2008, 06:03 PM.

Comment

anyone?

Comment

anyone?
                      You posted these on Sunday and while we understand the Internet is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week we have to take a day off and recharge our batteries and here in the United States of America Saturdays and Sundays are our traditional days off work unless we're teaching a class on Saturday like this last Saturday but then we can't answer questions because we're teaching class.

Pickups Limited at Meguiar's Garage November 15th, 2008

We have many forum members that do hang out on Saturdays and Sundays and help with answering questions but it's usually their day off too...

now my questions,
                      is it ok to use M83 since its more abrasive than M80? not a sealant right?
                      Yes but we teach people to use the least aggressive product to get the job done because that will leave the most amount of paint on the car.

If they body shop that painted your car swirled it out, then in the process of swirling it out they removed some of the precious paint or film-build you just paid them to spray onto your car.

Now when you remove the swirls you'll remove more of the precious film-build, (paint), off of your car that you just paid them to spray on.

So you want to approach this following the common sense philosophy Meguiar's has been teaching since our inception in 1901

Besides that, M80 is an easier product to use as compared to M83, it's a wetter, oilier product and offers a longer/easier buffing cycle or what we sometimes call play-time.

Completely understand your predicament, if you read enough of the forum you'll see your problem is a common problem and we've typed up answers like this hundreds of times in an effort to help our forum members to undo the damage done to their paint.

In a perfect world you would start with M80 and cross your fingers it gets the job done, if it doesn't then you would try M83

Make sense?

also, since I wont be using my LSP (NXT 2.0), may I use something rather lighter wax such is NXT Spray Wax??????
                      what can i use as a Last step that wont seal my paint pores so that it can cure within' the 30 days that I'm waiting.
                      M80 contains a fresh-paint safe protective polymer, that's about as good as it gets until you hit the 30 day mark. Just do your best to take care of your car until then.

If you haven't read this yet, please take a moment to read through it before turning on your polisher, the mistakes listed here really are very common and easy to correct so you get great results the first time and every time you machine clean and polish your car's paint.

Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

ok thanks for the reply Mike P.

one last question, since I still have to wait the 30 days, I will

1. Clay
                        2. M80
                        3. M83
                        4. M7
                        5. LSP?

I know I cannot use NXT 2.0 as my LSP (last step product)
                        but can I use a NXT Spray Wax which is "lighter" meaning wont
                        seal as much?

Comment

I will

1. Clay - Only if necessary
                          2. M80
                          You only clay if you feel little bumps on the paint. Other than that you would use M80 to remove the swirls the body shop instilled.

If your goal is to take advantage of the protective polymer in the M80 then you wouldn't apply anything after the M80 until after the 30 days are up.

You wouldn't use the spray wax as that is a product that seals paint.

How many days do you have to go till you reach the 30 day mark?

How is the car being used daily?

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

the car is daily driven (everyday for 60 miles total both ways), and I have three more weeks until my 30days are up. what is the worst possible that can happen if I do use NXT 2.0 on my fresh paint? Will the normal eye (person) tell the difference????????? significant in the long run??????
                            Last edited by Nuclear; Nov 17, 2008, 04:38 PM.

Comment

the car is daily driven (everyday for 60 miles total both ways), and I have three more weeks until my 30days are up. what is the worst possible that can happen if I do use NXT 2.0 on my fresh paint?
                              Worst case scenario, the paint will blister and come off your car.
                              Originally posted by Nuclear
                              Will the normal eye (person) tell the difference????????? significant in the long run??????
                              Yes.

One of the best in the business has given you some very good advice. It truly is in your best interest to take it.
                              Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                              M80 contains a fresh-paint safe protective polymer, that's about as good as it gets until you hit the 30 day mark. Just do your best to take care of your car until then.
                              Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                              If your goal is to take advantage of the protective polymer in the M80 then you wouldn't apply anything after the M80 until after the 30 days are up.
                              Charles
                              The Rainmaker

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');