• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

polished stainless exhaust tips/scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polished stainless exhaust tips/scratches

getting some stuck on junk off the polished tips on borla 125's. like a dummy i used a sink sponge that has that green rough side and now have some dull scratches. they are so tiny that you can not feel them however there is now a dull spot where i used it. any way to correct the spot i screwed up?
    thanks, jatee
    '06 Brilliant Black Pearl Magnum R/T AWD
    '95 Super Black Nissan 240 SX/SE Edition

Re: polished stainless exhaust tips/scratches

try the HOT RIMSĀ® MAG & ALUMINUM POLISH

and apply it w/ a terry towel.

Comment

If they are polished, I'd give Meguiar's Mag and Aluminum Polish a go. Do a few applications as well.

EDIT: LOL, that is the second time in two days I have posted the same thing as someone else at the same time!

Comment

My process for cleaning my tips/mufflers is:

1. Clean with Aluminum Wheel Cleaner / Bug & Tar Remover
        2. Clay
        3. Polish with Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum Polish and a terry cloth.

Hopefully some passion as you work in the polish will be able to help you out.

Or if that doesn't work, and you could take them off, you could look into some kind of a drill bit pad or something. But I have never done that.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
          If they are polished, I'd give Meguiar's Mag and Aluminum Polish a go. Do a few applications as well.

EDIT: LOL, that is the second time in two days I have posted the same thing as someone else at the same time!

just did my turbo back SS system on my skyline today, used megs NXT polish for metal, spread some on then buffed a bit then let it dry a bit like wax, then buff it off, suprised the hell out of me, very shiny now...

there is a product called neverdull that works good too, US military uses it
          and another one for aircraft (pink runny stuff in a blue and white can) cant remember the name but if comes in a quart paint cans. just add a little flour to a bowl of it to make a paste, it will safely cut thru the scratches and shines like hell, Oh it will turn black when its working right so dont freak out..lol

Comment

I used for the first time the Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum Polish for the first time last week. My exhaust tip was neglected to say the least. It took care of all the scratches and built up gunk, effortlessly. Great stuff. Give it a try.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

You can try to polish the Stainless Steel and hopefully remove the scratches but it's more likely you'll only improve them by making the stainless steel more shiny but not remove the actual scratches.

That's because stainless steel is very, very hard and usually requires special compounds and buffing pads to buff scratches out of it; you can find these types of products and tools at www.eastwood.com

Here's an article from our Hot Topics forum that explains the jist of what it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

Do please try however and please update this thread as to whether or not you were successful for the benefit of others that will read this into the future.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

hey grafx,
                if i call the auto store and ask for "pink runny stuff in a blue and white can" you think they will hang up on me? lol
                thanks to all for the input. i will try some of the suggestions.
                mike, i almost cant call them scratches but i believe they must be because of the dull spot created. i did'nt go nuts on it thank goodness but i will know the spot is there. i will report back if any thing works.
                what does any one think about a fine steel wool like a 000 or 0000? or am i just asking for trouble.
                thanks, jatee
                '06 Brilliant Black Pearl Magnum R/T AWD
                '95 Super Black Nissan 240 SX/SE Edition

Comment

I dont think steel wool will help....
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

When I polish out metal scratches, I usually start out with M105 and then move to Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum Polish.

The M105 works very well with metal (not recommended, though), but the finish is not perfect. That is where the Hot Rims comes into play.
                    Chris
                    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

if they are stainless tips. dont use Never Dull on them. my roommate tore up his BMW exhaust with some neverdull.

just try a little bit of the other products mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');