• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polish clear coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polish clear coat

I was sanding a paint chip with 1500 grit sandpaper than I used 2000 grit sandpaper.I created a slight dip in the clear coat that if seen on a angle you would think there is a dent/ding.I'm not keen on using the sand paper again.Would it be best to use polish and in time the clear coat would even out?Any info would be great.Thanks Joe

Re: Polish clear coat

I'll rephrase.The clear coat has a slight valley.I was trying to sand a paint blob and instead of placing the sanding block flat on the surface I used the edge of the sanding block.I'm between using using the sanding paper(1500-2000 grit) or scratch remover.Thanks Joe

Comment

If you have managed to sand a valley into the clear coat then I reckon you are stuck with it unless you get the entire area re-sprayed! In this case it is easy to takeaway but not so easy to add!

Depending of the thickness of the clear coat someone with a lot of experience may be able to sand it a bit more to make it less obvious - they would need to know what they are doing though!

BTW: I would reckon you would get better attention if you post this thread into the correct forum
      Last edited by Atlantean; Nov 6, 2008, 06:37 AM.

Comment

I moved this over to Wet-Sanding, Color Sanding, Rock Chip Repair for you as that is where questions of this type belong. When in doubt, post them here in the future for the best chance at getting quick replies.

Thanks!

Comment

What is it you're working on?

Originally posted by Dieseljoe View Post

I created a slight dip in the clear coat that if seen on a angle you would think there is a dent/ding.
          One of the things we teach on this forum is that factory finishes are thin, there's not much film-build to work with and this makes sanding on factory finishes risky.

I'm not keen on using the sand paper again.
          Everyone reading this into the future needs to learn from his mistake and deeply consider the risk involved before sanding on a factory finish.

Would it be best to use polish and in time the clear coat would even out?
          Too late for that, best thing to do at this point is to carefully remove your sanding marks and cross your fingers that you don't go through the clear coat and expose the basecoat and then live with the results unless you want to have the affected area or panel repainted.

It might be possible for an experienced Pro to sand the area surrounding this low area and then remove all the sanding marks but this too would pose some level of risk and would be best done by machine using a hard backing plate with a high grit paper, something like the 3M Trizact System.

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');