• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i remove wet sanding marks from use of traditional wet sand paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i remove wet sanding marks from use of traditional wet sand paper

i went a little deep and ive buffed the surface and its pretty good but not perfect i was going to try to use meguiars wet sand paper because of the unigrit tech to see if i can remove the light scratches left behind from the crappy wet sand paper

will this fix the prob or should i just work the surface some more with the buffer and wool pad followed up with a polishing pad and then a finishing pad

Re: how do i remove wet sanding marks from use of traditional wet sand paper

I'm moving this to Detailing 101 as this is where it belongs. "New to Discussion Forums" is for questions about how to use the forum/website, NOT for detailing questions.

Mark

Comment

What grit did you use? Are you removing the sanding marks with a rotary buffer?
      Finishing with a high grit sand paper will make it easier to remove with a rotary buffer.

Comment

Is this a "Daily Driver" or a Show Car?

Is this the "Factory Finish"?

What was the original purpose of sanding the paint.

Factory paint is thin and hard, the MAJORITY of all wet-sanding is done in a body shop situation where extra paint is sprayed onto the car just for the purpose of having more material to work with by the person doing the sanding and buffing. Also, the car is sanded and buffed while the paint is still soft and easy to buff sanding marks out of.
        Too many people reading about wet-sanding on "other" forums where they don't include the above paragraph and then these other forums give everyone reading them the idea they can simply sand down their car's paint and quickly and easily buff out the sanding marks and this isn't reality.

The safest thing to do is to NOT sand down factory paint on daily drivers. That said, if you've already done this then in most cases it's safer to re-sand with a higher quality paper and a higher grit and then CAREFULLY remove your sanding marks with a high quality compound like our M105, not some compound that's in the same league of the papers you've already used.

Best of luck...

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

it is a daliy driver when i bought the car someone had put spray paint over the clear coat so i wet sanded that off of the paint and i one spot put so sanding marks in that didnt come out totaly

i just talked to my meguiars rep and he sugested using solo cut and polish so not to go to aggressive and using the red and white wool pad and a polishing pad and only if that dosent work to use unigrt sanding paper and that he would show me the proper way to do that

have i said i love megs
          Last edited by bigjoes; Nov 10, 2008, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            Is this a "Daily Driver" or a Show Car?

Is this the "Factory Finish"?

What was the original purpose of sanding the paint.

Factory paint is thin and hard, the MAJORITY of all wet-sanding is done in a body shop situation where extra paint is sprayed onto the car just for the purpose of having more material to work with by the person doing the sanding and buffing. Also, the car is sanded and buffed while the paint is still soft and easy to buff sanding marks out of.
            Too many people reading about wet-sanding on "other" forums where they don't include the above paragraph and then these other forums give everyone reading them the idea they can simply sand down their car's paint and quickly and easily buff out the sanding marks and this isn't reality.

The safest thing to do is to NOT sand down factory paint on daily drivers. That said, if you've already done this then in most cases it's safer to re-sand with a higher quality paper and a higher grit and then CAREFULLY remove your sanding marks with a high quality compound like our M105, not some compound that's in the same league of the papers you've already used.

Best of luck...

my meguiars guy is comming in on wed this week he said the same thing you did and that we have to use 2500 - 3000 unigrit sanding paper that
            my mistake was going to canadian tire and buying there wet paper
            im also going to get ultra cut compound and ultra finishing compound
            but i have made it look better already with solo cut and polish system
            i love making it even more shiny and flawless

thanks
            j stan

Comment

M83 can easily remove even the 1500 grit sanding marks on factory paint (VW) using rotary buffer...
              Skoda Roomster

Comment

what is that product name

Comment

next time you tackle spray paint.... try clay.... even paint thinner is better idea than sand paper because you risk sanding through the clear coat easily if the wrong technique is used.....

but anyways some people had good luck using 105 to remove even tough sanding marks so you may try that......

Comment

Originally posted by bigjoes View Post
                    what is that product name

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish
                    Skoda Roomster

Comment

Originally posted by irf@n;261927
                      M83 can easily remove even the 1500 grit sanding marks on factory paint (VW) using rotary buffer...
                      Don't know if I would use the word easily

M83 is nowhere near as aggressive as compounds like M84, M85, M86, M95 and M105 and it can be a struggle to completely remove sanding marks on fresh paint, let alone factory baked on paint.

On a personal note, I would never accept a wet-sand, cut and polish job for a customer and then only take M83 with me to the job. That wold be ridiculous.

If it worked for you easily, on a VW you worked on, then it could be this was the exception, not the rule. We definitely don't want people thinking they can sand down the factory paint on any car and then completely remove all the sanding marks using only a cleaner/polish with a rotary buffer.

Also just to note, there's a HUGE difference in sanding paint, running a buffer over it and making the surface shiny again and sanding paint, running a buffer over it and removing ALL the sanding marks completely out of the paint, which is our criteria.

The reason I point this out is because this isn't the criteria used by everyone posting on discussion forums because they either don't have this high of a standard or they don't know how to inspect the surface correctly to check their results.

At our Advanced class the standard is 100% removal of any scratches we put in with our sanding process, not making the surface shiny again. You can buff a sanded area and restore the shine and gloss to the surface but if you get down close to the paint, in the right light and examine the paint with a critical eye you can still see lines left by the sanding paper.

This is never acceptable my Meguiar's standards and not our definition of successfully removing sanding marks.

Just so everyone is clear what our stance is on this topic because I know for a fact this is not the standard by everyone posting to other discussion forums.

We're held accountable for the how-to information posted on this forum and we don't want any forum member or lurker reading this thread and then thinking Meguiar's endorses, or agrees with a member that sanding marks can be successfully removed using only M83 with a rotary buffer.

It could work, but again, on factory baked on paint that would be the exception, not the rule and that has to do with paint hardness.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

You can buff a sanded area and restore the shine and gloss to the surface but if you get down close to the paint, in the right light and examine the paint with a critical eye you can still see lines left by the sanding paper.
                        I agree with you, maybe the light silver paint color hides the minor impurities.

Maybe, the paint type is the key. I've just touched a few cars so far. I don't want to underestimate the risky wet sanding process. Please don't get me wrong.

Actually, it was my first experience with sanding marks. And I was surprised when I see the result. Next time I shoot some helpful pics under the sun.

There was a deep scratch on clear coat (silver factory paint). Just used 1500 grit paper to remove a bit. Then using orange polishing pad (3M) with M83, sanding marks disappeared completely at the first pass (at 2000 rpm - Bosch rotary buffer). Never used my 2500 and 3000 grit papers from my arsenal.

Here is the pic of my the rotary buffer...

Next weekend I will make a paint correction to my cousin's black VW car including wet sanding for some small areas (Skoda Fabia with factory paint too), I will shoot detailed pics (maybe a small clip)...

PS: I'm not a pro, I'm polishin my car just for fun...
                        Last edited by irf@n; Nov 13, 2008, 07:12 AM.
                        Skoda Roomster

Comment

Originally posted by irf@n View Post

There was a deep scratch on clear coat (silver factory paint). Just used 1500 grit paper to remove a bit.

Then using orange polishing pad (3M) with M83, sanding marks disappeared completely at the first pass (at 2000 rpm - Bosch rotary buffer).
                          It's possible with a rotary buffer and sounds like you did it successfully, good job.

Can't help but think the paint must be somewhat soft or a better term is actually polishable.

Keep up the good work and if you continue to have great results only having to use a cleaner/polish to remove #1500 grit sanding marks out of factory paint more power to you! (Kind of a testimony as to how good M83 is)

If and when you come across another car that this doesn't work, you can always fall back on a more aggressive pad or product or both.

Originally posted by irf@n View Post
                          Here is the pic of my the rotary buffer...

That's a cute little rotary buffer.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I'll keep your suggestions in my mind always...

Thank you again for your valuable comments!
                            Skoda Roomster

Comment

I used meguiars ultra cut compound m105 with a megs heavy cut wool
                              and with the help of my meguiars sales rep we removed the sanding marks completly
                              i trust him because he has a show car and he goes to extream detail to keep it lookin perfect just like my car does now

thanks meguiars for making easy to use and quality products

Last edited by bigjoes; Nov 13, 2008, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');